• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Manga That Need An English Release Right Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:52 am Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
There is also the problem that when you don't have a hard copy, if you accidentally delete a book and go to re-download it you run the risk of the license being pulled. This happened with a VERY POPULAR video game, and there was nothing that could be done about it since none of the customers had purchased the game, just a LICENSE to download and play the game on their consoles (or handhelds or PCs I forget the details. I can google them if you wish.). If they HAD a hard copy this would not be a problem.

Ebooks and video games are slightly different things but the solution is largely the same: Backup, backup, and backup. Not just the digital things you've purchased but basically anything you consider to be of value that is comprised of bits should have a duplicate stored on something that is not the primary device. This is simply common sense, but too many people neglect to make a backup before it's too late and they can only regret after the fact.

For ebooks this is extremely easy. I'll use Amazon kindle books as an example. When I buy a kindle book, the license is attached to my account and I can download the book as many times as I wish. With the 'Kindle Reader for PC' app I can download the kindle books to my PC. Then I simply go to the folder where the ebooks are saved and copy the books to an external hard drive. Now if Amazon revokes the license attached to my account so I can no longer download the book, well first, shame on them, but secondly and more importantly I still have a copy of the book on my PC. If Amazon were to then send some kind of "kill command" to all Kindles (including the Kindle app on my PC) to purge the now unlicensed books in their libraries, well shame on them again but I still have copies stored on my external hard drive which I can copy back a virtually infinite number of times as a perpetual middle finger to Amazon corporate.

Also really easy to do is remove the DRM on kindle books that I have purchased so that I can convert and transfer the books to as many devices as I choose, simultaneously. My entire family could read the books all at once. No need to wait for someone to finish so it's "your turn". I could also share the books with my friends, but unlike a hard copy I can share with all my friends all at once. There is literally nothing Amazon can do to legally or technically stop me from doing this.

As for video games, the same principles apply. If it's a PC game, it'll have to be stored on your hard drive, and if it's stored on a hard drive, you can make a backup of it. You can even make a sector-by-sector duplicate of the entire hard drive if you so choose, operating system and all. As I am aware current and previous gen consoles use standard 2.5" hard drives which can be replaced or upgraded. The drives themselves can also be duplicated so even with consoles there's not much of an excuse to not have a backup.

Now let's talk about hard copies.

First, books. Books are made of paper, and paper does not last forever, or even all that long for people who don't handle their books very kindly. And you only have the ONE copy. If you spill something on the book, you're S.O.L, it's ruined. If you've misplaced it, well, better go find it. Check behind the sofas. If you want to share the book, you can only share with one person at a time, and depending on how fast they read you may not get it back for a while. SOME people even have this INSANE habit of buying multiple copies of a book so that they have one to store, one to read, and one to lend out.

As for video game discs, much the same applies. Optical discs are fragile things prone to scratches. One scratch too deep and it's a coaster with a hole in it. If only there were some way to make a backup... oh wait!

So basically, for people who have the sense to make backups, having hard copies is not better than the digital alternative when it comes to books and video games. This does not apply to streaming though. That's a whole different issue, which I have several qualms about.

Lord Geo wrote:
Remember the saying "If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all'? This is a perfect example of that, because this is just rude as all hell. I'm only 29, yet I prefer reading via actual, physical books. There are plenty of people, young & old, that prefer reading physically, so what the hell...

There are also plenty of people who prefer vinyl records over CDs but that still doesn't make it a sensible or practical choice in this day and age. My primary issue with continuing to print media is that it's irresponsibly wasteful and is also a huge hurdle to getting lesser known works to the fans who like them.

Think about all the resources it takes to create a book and get it to you. How many more trees must die for your reading pleasure? How many more tons of water must be wasted processing paper? How many more barrels of oil must be spent transporting the finished product to your local stores, or in most cases, straight to your doorstep. People don't think about these things because why should they? They're too busy flipping through their beloved pages to care.

If you remove the necessity to print all together, publishers may actually consider hiring translators and editors for more obscure works. No longer will it be a problem to figure out how many books need to be printed, or when and how to schedule distribution. No longer will fans have to worry about a work going out of print. Availability will be infinite; everyone can have a copy. Imagine the world that is being held back from progressing because of people's lingering obsession with paper.

Logically, how is a paper book superior to say, a Kindle Paperwhite, which can hold thousands of books?

And seriously? You're almost 30 and you break out the "If you have nothing nice to say" spiel on this? Thinking about the unnecessary wastefulness of print media does get me upset, so if you think I come off as "rude" by basically saying "some people can't be helped" you have no idea how restrained I actually am. I have no idea how you've made it this far on the internet but the world outside the auto-Thought-policed garden that is ANN is a scary, scary place where there are people who say "worse" things if you can imagine, and there will be no one to hold your hand.

GVman wrote:
I hope people like you that don't value legitimate ownership eventually grow up. If Viz or someone decides to stop distributing digital volumes, they're gone, no matter if you paid for them.

Please don't misconstrue what I've said as me somehow devaluing personal property. I have less than no respect for Microsoft and other vendors who push the notion of "software licenses". I paid for an operating system and I'll keep using it as long as I want to goddammit. Windows 10 no thank you, I'll stick with Windows 7 and no one can force me to switch.

But let's not just ignore the bigger elephant which is the "out-of-print" problem. If a publisher stops ordering more print copies, that's it. Once the last copy is gone it's LITERALLY all gone. If it was a digital volume, there will always be ways of continuing to share it off the market so long as even a single copy still exists somewhere. If publishers or their parent companies or whoever no longer wishes to make money selling a digital book, fans will find an alternative method, as they always have. As for the bulk of the other things I want to say, I have already said in the replies above.

Aura Ichadora wrote:
This I find very sad... I'm someone that prefers a physical collection versus a digital collection. I love viewing my collection and growing it whenever I'm able. I can also share my collection with others, which is something I can't (and refuse to) share with others via a tablet or e-reader. Also, similar to anime, a digital license for a series won't always exist; at least once a title expires for a physical release, they can still be bought and collected. Once a digital license is gone, there may not be any other legal method to get and read that series.

I'm 27, and while my husband and I don't have children yet, we plan to raise our children on physical books as well as digital. Just because the printed word is becoming a thing of the past, it won't be going away anytime soon and should be shared with the new generation. Hell, if anything, with the new generation, reading physical media might actually be considered "hip and trendy", similar to the resurging popularity of vinyls.

See above replies.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote
The vast majority of yaoi doesn't interest me, but I would love for Takemiya's Kaze to Ki no Uta to be brought over here. It sounds like it would be right up my ally. The Door into Summer would be great too. At only one volume, I'm hoping that, maybe one day, Fantagraphics will give a it release like The Heart of Thomas.

Other series I'd like to see: Hajime no Ippo, Zipang, Ashita no Joe.

And I've just realized all of those are available in French. Maybe I should just learn French. Be easier than learning Japanese.

If we're going to talk about uncompleted stuff, Swan definitely tops my list. The last few volumes of Apothecarius Argentum would be great too. I don't think I can ever forgive DC for shutting CMX down.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Comrade Desa, you make your case most eloquently. I enjoyed reading it, however the topic of this thread is Seven Manga That Need An English Release Right Now. I'm not sure how your post contributes to that discussion.

So, comrades, please stick to the topic or this glorious, Soviet, thought-police-person will doubleplus unmake your posts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think there are far too many institutional barriers in place to ever hurry along the transition from print media to digital, however economical and environmentally friendly such a change might be; things like textbooks, libraries, etc. (and at least as far as manga is concerned, the magazine publications), not to mention all the red tape tied up in who gets a cut for bringing over what from wherever. Give it another seventy years or so, then we can talk. Laughing

As for surprise manga releases, I'm always a little iffy on whether or not fan demand can result in a series' release. There's a quote floating around by someone who worked in Shoujo Beat about how high online demand doesn't necessarily translate into high purchases because, well, those fans already got what they came for, and for free--though the Yona of the Dawn announcement does seem to fly in the face of that kind of talk. But on the other hand, I'm both delighted and gobsmacked that an old-school series like Rose of Versailles is finally making it Stateside, and even though the reasoning behind releasing that series now totally baffles me, I suspect the sales of the RoV DVDs had a hand in it.

Maybe we'll see more re-releases of older stuff as it gets remade, and if its deemed popular enough via streaming or whatever. It'll be interesting to see if Haikara-san ga Tooru goes the same way as RoV.
Nojay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Another vote for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou here. Heck, no other series by Ashinano-sensei (Kabu no Isaki, Kotonoba Drive) has gotten an English-language release, or any other language come to think of that. This is a crime.

Family Compo by Tsukasa Hojou got a French language release and I managed to resurrect enough of my school French to fight my way through it in that version. It's very strongly LGBT-friendly for such an older series (early 90s) as well as being quite funny in parts.

I'd really like to see Aria get a complete English-language release; ADV abandoned it a few volumes in, as did Tokyopop.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
re: Ali07, I think both Orange and So Cute are still recent enough publications that time (and sales) will tell whether more of the artists' works get licensed here. (I couldn't wait, so I already bought Yumemiru Taiyou in Japanese. And now I'm buying the rerelease editions because I'm a silly Ichigo Takano fangirl like that. they have touched-up art and dialogue though, and different bonus comics at the end! her bonus comics are The Cutest.)

You're probably right on this point. Hopefully we see more Takano work brought over, and I'd say So Cute could, potentially, be wrapping up (in English) next year? Though, personally, I'm not sure what the trend is like for US publishers going back and grabbing older works.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
ELFEN LIED!!!

that is definitely one series i would love to see released in the US. however the odds of that is the same odds for kodomo no jikan getting a US release. SLIM TO NONE!

for one thing its uber violent. not like in the same breath as hellsing or berserk, but definitely violent enough that would make some people squirm. especially the graphic ones involving the lolicon characters like nana and others.

the other thing is that might turn away manga companies is small hints of the two siblings/cousins might have a thing into one another (though its definitely the girl) before the male lead start to only take an interest to nyuu/lucy. while it wasnt as obvious as in the anime version(more or less similar to kirito and lefa from SAO), i have heard that their relationship in the manga is much more which is kinda a no no. also the the most important thing that is against the series is that it might be too little too late. the anime version was released all the way back in the early to mid 2000's back when ADV Films was around and it was still popular back then. to bring an over 10+ yr old manga to the US is very very risky.

the only way i can really see a company is willing to take a chance on elfen lied is dark horse comics.

however there is one manga that i think could be popular in the US and that is Kenichi the mightest disciple . in this era where shonen based series are ridiculously popular, it might be able to get some traction in the US. especially considering now that Bleach is at its end and some of those US shonen fans arent too keen on boruto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
I could not agree more about the works of Tsukasa Hojo. I'm glad you had a hard time deciding between Rush and F Compo. Although I'd rather have F. Compo, I'd take Rush, most definitely.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
There's really too many series to choose from. A lot of people have mentioned a couple good ones already, I'd definitely like to see a release for Histoire too, and personally, I hope we get some Gundam manga, I'd love to see Viz or somebody else put out Gundam Thunderbolt.

Otherwise, I'd like to see some releases for lesser-known or older works from well known mangaka. Hayao Miyazaki's manga work is great, and I'd definitely want to see more of that. Especially Shuna no Tabi and some of his WWII themed stuff. I'd be interested in seeing an English release for some of Masamune Shirow's one shots like Neuro Hard too. Tsutomu Nihei's Abara and his new one, Ningyo no Kuni would be great. Finally, I'd like to see an English release for Usamaru Furuya's Marie no Kanaderu Ongaku.

Desa wrote:
There are also plenty of people who prefer vinyl records over CDs but that still doesn't make it a sensible or practical choice in this day and age. My primary issue with continuing to print media is that it's irresponsibly wasteful and is also a huge hurdle to getting lesser known works to the fans who like them.

The problem is that this argument is based entirely on what's on practical or efficient. For many people (myself included), there are other factors besides just practicality that are important.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Desa wrote:

The problem is that this argument is based entirely on what's on practical or efficient. For many people (myself included), there are other factors besides just practicality that are important.

And, there are some people that prefer to support an industry, like the print industry, because it helps keep people in paid employment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7