• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shadows House

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:44 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
How come the living dolls like Mia don't seem soot coffee drugged?
Outside Yuvelir's comment, it would seem that the dolls aren't fed a constant supply of soot as you surmise, though they may have been given some in Ep1. We also know from Ep3 that "soot" is removed slowly from the body by drink/water, so the effects wear off in some time, possibly days (more for Emilico here though). Also, it seemed to have taken some minutes to start to affect the dolls given the time in the episode. I'd guess they are given the Dark Drink only as needed, though the next Ep promises to have a reveal about that...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 am Reply with quote
I assumed that direct active control via the coffee will run through the system eventually, the idea would only be to top it up if the people at the top think that there is a risk that the people bellow are at risk of questioning things, the debut probably being a good place to do that. If the dolls are all actual humans, and were "made" by the grandfather, we can assume similar brainwashing was done in the past to make them think they are dolls and forget their old life.
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:31 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I assumed that direct active control via the coffee will run through the system eventually, the idea would only be to top it up if the people at the top think that there is a risk that the people bellow are at risk of questioning things, the debut probably being a good place to do that. If the dolls are all actual humans, and were "made" by the grandfather, we can assume similar brainwashing was done in the past to make them think they are dolls and forget their old life.

We do basically see exactly that in the first couple of seconds in the first episode.
I guess we've known it all along, but didn't know what it really meant until this episode.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:43 am Reply with quote
I need to release some steam!

I really really did not like that info dumb in ep10. It was the worst moment of the show.

Rum whereabouts after her master demise should have been kept a mystery for the audience. We could have discovered later what happened to her and the veiled dolls origins.

Those baby shadows, introduced for a few milliseconds during the first episode to never been seen again could have popped up during the season and could have had creepy little encounters with SunshineBrain. For example babyshadows watching her sleep or Sunshine playing with one but if we look closer the babyshadow's "playing" consisted in mimicking Sunshine's moves and mannerisms even trying to modulate Sunshine's voice. We did not know what these creatures were or why they were mimicking. It could have been part of the mystery of the show.

I know the show is following the manga but there are lot of better clever interesting ways to deliver important plot points of a story without the use of an awful info dump.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:05 pm Reply with quote
So this week's episode was... big. I'll wait for reactions before saying anything more.

yuzumei wrote:
Those baby shadows, introduced for a few milliseconds during the first episode to never been seen again could have popped up during the season and could have had creepy little encounters with SunshineBrain. For example babyshadows watching her sleep or Sunshine playing with one but if we look closer the babyshadow's "playing" consisted in mimicking Sunshine's moves and mannerisms even trying to modulate Sunshine's voice. We did not know what these creatures were or why they were mimicking. It could have been part of the mystery of the show.

The problem with thay is that the Shafow House is a cult, information is strictly and thoroughly controlled. Anything that threatens the status quo or causes "unnecessary thoughts" must be removed. Thus we can't have morphs just casually loitering around. On the surface nothing must contradict rhe tale.
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The thing I'm most curious about this episode is why Kate knows the truth about the dolls being human. When she first told Emilico I assumed that all the Shadows knew but when she explained it to John not only did he not know but Kate knew that he didn't (because she decided to explain it to him in the first place) which adds a whole other layer.

It could be that she figured it out on her own, she's not an idiot, but she even knew about the surrounding villages that the children are taken from and that their memories are wiped which is too specific to have figured out on her own so soon after finding out about Emilico being brainwashed with coffee, she must have already known.

The book on Shadow etiquette she had wouldn't have said so it clearly hid a lot of information and again John would have had the book as well so why assume he didn't know.

I'm wondering if maybe somehow Kate remembers being a little sprite and she's not supposed to.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Finally someone has caught on.
There's a reason for that and in the manga spoiler[it's explained at the end] of another arc that will not be covered in the anime. However, since the anime is spoiler[ending with a new original arc] I can't be sure they won't push that information early.
If they don't, well, you'll have to read the manga Razz
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
If they don't, well, you'll have to read the manga Razz

I do plan on reading the manga after the anime is finished, I'm watching a lot of this seasons shows and so far Shadows House is the only one that I've enjoyed enough that I'll to seek out the manga once it's over.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:15 pm Reply with quote
After tonight's episode, I feel even more strongly that the info dump at the end of the previous episode was entirely unnecessary. This episode would have worked perfectly well, nay better, without any of the explanation given in the previous one. The information shared was much more natural. Absolutely everything Edward explained was guessed beforehand by most viewers, and would be confirmed by this episode without anything mentioned there.

Whether the scene was in the manga or not, it was unnecessary and a bad example of unnecessarily telling, unlike this episode, which showed everything much better. It of course makes much more sense for Kate to explain things to Emilico or John than for Edward to recount things to the nobles.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Classic Ashita no Joe double punch there, though the vibe was more super robot pilots (which riffed on Ashita no Joe like everything), as itself parodied by e.g. Gekiganger.

Cross Counter with Double KO. Classic.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems there are two ways to undo the soot-brainwashing, as mentioned previously with lots of water (works for females) and apparently slugging it out for the guys, otherwise known as shadow-boxing Smile Jokes aside, maybe it is just any strong emotion will over-ride the soot's effects. Louise joining "the rebels" was a bit of a surprise so I'd watch her as she is most like to betray. And Lou had better watch when she opens her mouth from now on...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:31 am Reply with quote
LoriasGS wrote:
The thing I'm most curious about this episode is why Kate knows the truth about the dolls being human. When she first told Emilico I assumed that all the Shadows knew but when she explained it to John not only did he not know but Kate knew that he didn't (because she decided to explain it to him in the first place) which adds a whole other layer.

I believe that last week I put forward my general thoughts towards hints that Kate is an anomaly. They said that the Shadows are meant to start without much of a personality and gain it from interacting with the human living doll, but the first episode starting with Emilico meeting Kate already seemed to show that Kate had a fully formed personality. Along with the fact that she was protective of a totally black doll as if an important keepsake with history, which would not make sense if they were just born recently as people, the most likely explanation was that Kate has existed outside of what the house expects of them.

We were also given enough about Kate that she knew enough that she understood that information was being controlled, that she was being watched, and there might be a reason to hide things. Thing we have learned are not intended since the people at the top seem so strong about controlling information and inspiring blind faith in the system.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Since they are going for an original ending I think I can now start reading the manga.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Since they are going for an original ending I think I can now start reading the manga.

Yeah. I've been going chapter-by-chapter to match where the anime is, but if we're into anime original material now, I'm just going to read ahead.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, so this is how they're handling the plot divergence. Interesting.

I do like that John's letter ended up being so minimal to the plot, very John like there.
I'm also glad that despite the big story changes, they kept John and Shaun's epic punch out by sunset, because that's one of my favorite scenes in the manga (it's just so old school).

Regarding undoing Emilico's brainwashing, I'm glad they animated it like they did because the manga always gave me a vaguely fetishy feeling during that scene that I was worried would be given loving care by the animators. Thankfully, they didn't do that. Whew!

I'm interested in seeing how they tie this up, especially as we've seen spoiler[shirley] watching the group.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10