• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Case Study of Vanitas Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockstar8577

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:43 am Reply with quote
LoriasGS wrote:
I'm still not certain on the relationship between Vanitas, Luna and the vampire of the blue moon. VBM created the curse-bearers and the idea of vampires having their names stolen, Luna had their name stolen and Vanitas had to kill them so now he hates VMB and it going around curing the curse to erase all trace of them and get revenge for stealing Luna's name, but Luna IS the Vampire of the Blue Moon.

I get that someone else is in control of the curse and stole Luna's name they obviously didn't curse themselves and Vanitas wants to know who it was and get revenge on that person so why does he keep saying he wants revenge on The Vampire of the Blue Moon specifically, this is at least the 2nd time he's said that.

Basically what he's saying is: "I want revenge on the Vampire of the Blue Moon because of what they did to the Vampire of the Blue Moon"

I only think of 2 explanations. Either he thinks there are 2 Vampires of the Blue Moon, Luna and the one who cursed Luna and it's the other one he wants revenge on or he does want revenge on Luna because he blames them for creating the curse in the first place.

I can't be the only one getting a little confused by Vanitas' revenge goals.

So I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe when he says VBM later on l, he's sometimes referring to the clan. Because that is also how they refer to the clan as well.
So I think the lore at the start had you believe it was just 1 person that is the VBM, but in fact it's a clan of multiple people.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:10 pm Reply with quote
As far as inconclusive endings to adaptions of ongoing manga go, this was a good one. Most of the series central mysteries are still left open but something more important was resolved. Vanitas has at last started to overcome his trust issues and is finally 100% genuine friends with Noe now. And knowing MochiJun, it's best to savor that while you can before she only further use it to rip your heart out once the end game comes.

Also go, Dominique! How often is it that the supporting love interest gets to be the one to save the day? The ideal resolution to all the shipping troubles would be for her to enter into a relationship with Jeanne while she has one with Vanitas, as he also has one with Noe. But someone is more likely to die than a foursome happening.

Let's see, the manga started in late 2015 and took about 6 years and 55 chapters to get to the anime version. At the rate that a monthly released manga goes at, we might have enough for at least another season in 3 or 4 years? Until then, I suggest keeping up with the source material, if you are enamored with the series like I am. Au revoir for now, The Case Study of Vanitas anime, you were the gem of last summer and this winter and I hope you'll be back again someday.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:58 am Reply with quote
I’m glad this review kicked things off talking about the teacher either shapeshifting into Murr or at the very least using Murr’s eyes to watch Noe and company (think the Queen’s dog in Howl’s Moving Castle) because that was probably my most pressing question when finishing the episode haha

Anyways, I have to agree that as far as “read the manga (even though there isn’t anything new out right now)” endings go, this was still satisfying enough. I’ve already started collecting the manga and started reading it after the finale. I have to say it’s honestly still worth checking out if you loved the show. The art is downright gorgeous and it does go more in depth during the Gevaudan arc (particularly Chloe’s backstory) and retains a lot of political intrigue/extra character appearances that were understandably cut for time since none of it could be resolved in this season.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:28 am Reply with quote
I had missed both the first season and this one til I watched it all over the weekend...kinda glad I did. Season 2 ends at a much better stopping point than the first one did. We have most pressing mysteries about our protagonists resolved, and they're at a point where they can begin to have better relationships both with each other and themselves.

Obviously, those relationships will be tested in the future- where would the best drama come from, otherwise?- but its a solid stopping point. A very good show- well worth the praise.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:58 pm Reply with quote
What a great show! A+ in every department!

Guess it's gonna be a looooong time until we see more... that's the only downside... Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7