• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
True Tears.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xeric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
goodwin999 wrote:

i think you missed the part at the end where they showed Noe's tears. Its not obvious but if you look close enough you can clearly see water drops coming from her face at the end of the episode.

Really? I watched that part 3 times to see if I could see any tears, but I couldn't. Maybe I need a bigger screen.

At the very end of the episode, when the song is coming to a close spoiler[the camera gives us a distance shot of Noe from behind. Then switch to slow pan up starting at Noe's legs. Her eyes are hidden by her hair. Switch back to the distance shot. This is around 23:30. You can see some tears get blown off Noe's cheek and fly off into the air (up and to the left). Switch to close up of the tears as they drift away and dissipate on the wind. Cut to ending title.] it all happens in the space of a few seconds. I didn't know what I had seen the first time so I checked it out again.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Good ending. I'm especially glad that no one was left hanging. Not sure what else I could add, but spoiler[it's interesting that the series ended this way. Normally, you'd think that the guy ends up with the cutesy girl with some "catch" (like Noe's obsession with tear collecting and flying), but this time he ended up with the realistic and mature girl, Hiromi.

I also like that what Shin had to overcome was much more complex than usual romance anime -- choosing between two girls. This time, he already knew he wanted Hiromi, but had to admit this to himself and Noe (who was more of a stepping stone than a love interest).]

A very solid production. I'm glad I chose this series over H2O.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ultenth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Oh god yes, me too, I just had a feeling H20 was going down a very boring and generic path, and true tears was a far better show with far better characters and story. Definitely up there with ef as one of my fav romances to come out in a long time. And the ending shot of Noe (described two posts up) was beautiful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

I hope I had something to do with you avoiding H20! I want my time back spent on the 3 episodes I watched :(
Ultenth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:

I hope I had something to do with you avoiding H20! I want my time back spent on the 3 episodes I watched Sad

I actually dropped it after episode 5.... Crying or Very sad The beginning seemed like it would be really interesting and unique with a main character that was blind, which is what drew me to the show. Of course they removed that almost right away and what was left wasn't much. True tears on the other hand I was thinking was almost too good at points, in terms of character development and drama, and thought it was going to jump the shark at some point. Thank goodness that it never did (in my opinion at least).
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:

I hope I had something to do with you avoiding H20! I want my time back spent on the 3 episodes I watched Sad

Heh, technically you did -- thanks! Smile Normally, if there are two romance series to choose from, I wait a while and choose whichever receives the most praise or ends up the most interesting (via what people post). My initial thought was that true tears looked the best of the two, but I was unsure whether or not H2O would be any good.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
You guys, H2o has a decent plot and it has it's moment too.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
You guys, H2o has a decent plot and it has it's moment too.

The characters didn't react anywhere close to how real people would. They did random things that made no sense for thier personality to do, simply because the writers needed them to do it to move their plot forward. The characters in true tears were much more realistic to me, and I was able to relate to their issues much more strongly. I can't think of many other 13 ep romances that had all the main characters so well developed, even the side-kick that is usually just there for laughs actually had some personality beyond just being a comic device.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
The characters didn't react anywhere close to how real people would. They did random things that made no sense for thier personality to do, simply because the writers needed them to do it to move their plot forward. The characters in true tears were much more realistic to me, and I was able to relate to their issues much more strongly. I can't think of many other 13 ep romances that had all the main characters so well developed, even the side-kick that is usually just there for laughs actually had some personality beyond just being a comic device.

Of course True Tears is a drama-romance genre, so the characters were portrayed as a real people. Whereas in H2o it's a comedy/romance/supernatural genre, so you can tell that it's no way it'll be in the same league as TT. About the characters in H2o doing some random things, there is an explanation for that in the later part of the series.

I wasn't even comparing True Tears to H2o, because first of all I find H2o as a typical harem show (it's not harem btw, it just look like it at first). I was just saying that H2o isn't really bad for it's genre.

And yeah, I like True Tears as well, so there is no point arguing which show is better.
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I just finished it and I have to join the chorus of praise. It kept you guessing up until the end, without any cheap plot tricks. spoiler[I was rooting for Hiromi the whole time; I guess I have a soft spot for quiet, troubled girls. But Noe and Ai were also very likable and believable. I was worried near the end that Noe might try to kill herself, but figured she would survive if she did.]

The animation is stunningly good--as good or better than KyoAni, and that's not easy for me to say. Smile I also love the super-catchy OP theme.

I almost rated this Masterpiece. I definitely agree that it's a "high 9".
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
Finished this a bit later than most.

First point, very strong collection of theme songs, not to mention the absolutely ridiculous OP. The melody and lyrics match the series perfect. Time to loop it for the next several weeks.

Second, a fairly strong cast of characters (Shin redeemed himself in the final parts of the series). Two of the three main girls were extremely strong characters, with problems to overcome that were not melodramatic. It's nice for a romance series to carry itself without overdoing things once in awhile.

The series presentation is not unique (Ef was far better with the imagery and color usage to convey feeling), but it was still very well done. I'm surprised they could carry the chicken and flying imagery that well without making it too corny at any point. This is thanks to Noe's character in my opinion.

I was for Noe because I felt sorry for her. This was an especially hard series because the girls feelings were conveyed much better than your usual "I like him and that's all" attitude of other similar series. Also requires mention, I was dragged around like a dog for the final episode. spoiler[I am 100% ok with Hiromi ending up with Shin though. When Shin confessed his wavering heart to Noe, that was enough for me to consider Shin as a serious character, and enough of a closure for Noe for me.] That was a very good way to end the series, much better than something like kimikiss (spoiler[where the main dude made it seem like his feelings for one of the girls were completely fake. Weak]).

Definitely worth checking out for anyone though, considering it's only 13 episodes.[/spoiler]
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
ryokoalways wrote:
That was a very good way to end the series, much better than something like kimikiss (spoiler[where the main dude made it seem like his feelings for one of the girls were completely fake. Weak]).

Not to get too far off topic, but I didn't see KimiKiss at all that way. spoiler[It's clear to me that Sanada genuinely cared about and was attracted to Hoshino--witness his reactions to her while they were getting to know each other early in the series. When Mao revealed her feelings, that caused him to look at himself a little deeper, and realize that his feelings for her (Mao) were stronger. I don't think that's too surprising, since he'd been seeing Mao as sisterly/unavailable before. So I don't think he was deliberately "faking" anything; he was conflicted and confused as most of us are in high school. That, probably combined with the prospect of Hoshino moving away (long-distance relationships are hard even if you're not in high school) caused the apparent change in his feelings.]

Anyway, that's my two cents on your comment. I agree with everything else you said, especially that the OP is ridiculously catchy (and beautifully animated).
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
The problem with Kimikiss is that they did not present it that way. spoiler[Hoshino just kind of got pushed to the side at the end, and there wasn't any closure other than "you are not the one I truly love". Whereas True Tears, with that scene, showed how important Noe was in Shin's life, regardless of who was truly in his heart.]
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
ryokoalways wrote:
The problem with Kimikiss is that they did not present it that way. spoiler[Hoshino just kind of got pushed to the side at the end, and there wasn't any closure other than "you are not the one I truly love". Whereas True Tears, with that scene, showed how important Noe was in Shin's life, regardless of who was truly in his heart.]

Well, spoiler[I think Hoshino (she seemed pretty perceptive) knew the score pretty well before that final scene between them, and that's why it seemed a bit anticlimactic--it wasn't a shock to her or anything, and she was ready to move on. I think the closure was there, but understated.]

Agreed that true tears handled it extremely well.
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
so i finally got done (work has been killing me) with the series, no i want it in DVD.....my god one of the best slice of life animes i have seen right up there with His and Her Circumstance
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9