• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
I get what your saying but their is a level of objectivity you must have to be a reviewer. You can't let personal bias dictate the review. I mean if you are a food reviewer you don't rate a dish badly if you don't like one of the ingredients used in it. Your personal opinion takes a back seat to the actual quality of the dish.

Accusing a director of having an S&M fetish for a 10 second scene in one episode is a pretty extreme comment for instance.

Referring to the series as being a mecha action series when there are no mecha in it whatsoever is also a glaring red flag.

I don't really know cooking well enough to continue that metaphor, but: I agree and disagree. Yes, you should be able to look at someone and say whether or not someone with different tastes will like the show. And even if you're not fond of the genre, you should be able to point out when something breaks out of the confines of its genre and becomes a good show.

That being said, if you have valid reasons for disliking a genre, and the show in question doesn't do anything to deal with those issues, then I think it's fine to give it a poor rating. For example: I dislike a lot of typical shounen. I think the overly long fights are dull, find the character types repetitive, and think that in general series that are considered shounen often drag way, way, WAY too long. I love shounen that breaks out of that mold, so there's actually some shounen series I like--the previously mentioned Chrono Crusade, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Death Note are some. That being said, if I was going to review Naruto, I'd probably give it low marks because it contains most of these flaws and, I think, doesn't do anything to change my mind on why I should like them. Carl's complaints that it has too many anime tropes that fans like without doing anything new with it and that the fanservice seems too sexualized for featuring such a young cast are valid criticisms that even people that like moe or magical shows might have problems with. You didn't, and that's fine, but it doesn't mean everyone will agree.

I can't really comment on the S&M thing since I don't know the director and haven't seen the show, so I can't comment on it myself--however, I think it's a valid complaint for people to lobby at the review. I don't have any problem with people saying that they disagree with it.

The review didn't call Nanoha a mech action series. This is the only part where the review says something about mechs:

Nanoha Review wrote:
The series may begin as a jewel-gathering magical-girl romp, but before the end it delves into science-fiction, military adventure, mecha action, and ultimately dark drama.

What that says to me is not "this show is a mech show" but "this show is a magical-girl show that also borrows elements from other genres", which...well...matches most of what I've heard about the show, including fan's comments here in this thread. (And, really, it's the main reason I *do* want to check out the show--sounds like the combination could be entertaining.) I don't see how that invalidates the review at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
I'm still not sure I understand what he means aimed at Otaku. I mean its aimed at anime fans but umm its anime, who should it be aimed at exactly?

Perhaps he meant to say it might not appeal to casual anime fans as much?

Part of the issue though is their are 0 mecha elements in the show. The closest you get is one part where there are robot enemies. So kinda stumped how a reviewer is getting mecha from generic robots?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
I'm still not sure I understand what he means aimed at Otaku. I mean its aimed at anime fans but umm its anime, who should it be aimed at exactly?

Perhaps he meant to say it might not appeal to casual anime fans as much?

Part of the issue though is their are 0 mecha elements in the show. The closest you get is one part where there are robot enemies. So kinda stumped how a reviewer is getting mecha from generic robots?

Yeah, that's what he meant. The mixing-genres and referencing other anime is a thing that is fun for someone that's watched a lot of anime, but a more casual viewer might not going to get it or think it's cool.

Also...aren't mecha...generic robots? Just bigger? And people ride in them? Sounds accurate to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
mecha refers to a piloted robot, not autonomous robots. They have to be piloted either by a pilot or by remote control. So their is nothing like that in the show.

*EDIT* I guess it can be interpreted either way animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php?id=100

Although typically in the US i've only ever heard of Mecha referring to piloted robots. We wouldn't call a toaster or a vcr mecha in the US yet they would in Japan.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
It says in the lexicon that "controlled" robots are still called mecha by American fans, so sounds like it counts. I think I've heard mecha used in that way before here in the US.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I believe the term mecha is applied to Nanoha for a few reasons despite it being devoid of "real" mecha:

* The weapons used are mechanical and they transform with lots of clunking and whirring and steam
* BEAMSPAM
* The combat (including but not limited to BEAMSPAM) has a lot of similarities with combat styles often seen in mecha shows
* There is the whole space force thing complete with spaceships and advanced technology
* BEAMSPAM
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Really the difference is they aren't controlled. They are autonomous and just obey their programming. They wouldnt really be mecha any more so then my VCR recording a show I programmed it to would be mecha.

Also spaceships and weapons aren't really mecha. So if those are the reasons why he really needs to review what mecha is.
scottjam65

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Fate has "an eye on Yuuno's jewels"?

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Am I the only one who caught that?

Time to get my mind out of the gutter....
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Even its production is steeped in otaku trivia (it's a spin-off of an adult series based on a computer game).
I thought it was a spin-off of Triangle Hearts ~Sweet Songs Forever~, which unless I missed something, was not an adult series. So technically MGLN would be a spin-off of a spin-off of an adult series based on a computer game.

The Triangle Hearts OVA is based on an adult computer game but there was a non-adult game spun-off of the game called Lyrical Toybox and the Nanoha anime is a spin-off of that.
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Competent reviewer? Bollocks. A competent review will NOT insert ANY of his own opinions in a reivew. He will state FACTS not opinions. "Moe overkill" is not a fact, it's his own opinion, and should not be inserted into a "competent reviewers" work.

I don't doubt that there was plenty of discussion on the this earlier in the thread, but this keeps on coming up every time that people don't think that the reviewer is being objective enough. Reviews are not supposed to be entirely objective. People who write them are paid to do so because there has been an expressed need for a professional opinion about the product. That being said, dislikes or likes shouldn't overtly color a review. Again, people reading a review are looking for a professional opinion, not a personal opinion.

On point (talk show on NPR) addressed the briefly in a recent overview of the holiday movies. A caller asked how reviewers (in this case it was Ty Burg (Boston Globe critic) and Claudia Puig (USA Today critic)) how they kept their affection or admiration for a performer/director from affecting their review. Miss Puig answered it rather well. She said that reviewers are paid to be "supremely subjective" but at the same time should not let their affections sway the way they address them in a review too much. I'm sure they'd agree that their dislikes for certain actors, directors and even types of movies should not do the same.

( http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2008/12/holiday-movies-08/ appx 39:30-41:30)

Either way though, it kind of irks me to see people whining about objectiveness every time they disagree with a review; kind of makes me wish there was some kind of disclaimer at the end of each review or something. At the very least, this problem should actually be addressed by the staff (an editorial perhaps?) rather than having Zac come in and stomp the first person who says the word (objectiveness that is) into the ground <.<

Last edited by babbo on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Is their any way to look at a list of all reviews by a certain reviewer? Curious to see stuff like average rankings.
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
Is their any way to look at a list of all reviews by a certain reviewer? Curious to see stuff like average rankings.

Just search for "Carl Kimlinger". Have fun with your statistics.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I did actually find other threads where people talk about his bias towards shows and how his reviews are off

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=608992

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=95775
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36575&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
quoted from this one
Quote:
"Carl Kimlinger should retire. Period. I've never seen such a straightforward attempt at bashing the moe "genre" without knowing, or more likely accepting its mechanics."

The more stuff I read by this guy the more crazy it sounds
Look at his pokemon review animenewsnetwork.com/review/pokemon/dub-dvd-the-rise-of-darkai
Quote:
parents will be able to tolerate, but probably not enjoy, the film.

Another pokemon review animenewsnetwork.com/review/pokemon-diamond-and-pearl/dub.dvd-1
Quote:
+ Fine for kids.
− Bad for adults.

Think its looking pretty obvious when it comes to anything Moe this guy should not be one doing reviews.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Umm, Brians9824, I think Carl is just pointing out what anybody else would say about the Pokemon series. Are you trying to say that adults, in your opinion, would greatly enjoy Pokemon? And...is Pokemon considered "moe"?

Brians9824 wrote:
Think its looking pretty obvious when it comes to anything Moe this guy should not be one doing reviews.

It's already known which of the reviewers has a dislike for moe and who doesn't. But it's not like ANN just gives one side of the issue a voice when it comes to their reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:

But if you're subscribing to the belief that Carl is 'biased' against moe, and that's bad, and he shouldn't review shows like Nanoha, wouldn't purposefully giving the show to someone who loved moe be just as bad?

Or is being biased toward something somehow better or more preferable in your view to being biased against something?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13