• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maken-Ki! Two BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You know, it says something about a series when a C- grade is criticized as being too generous. Rolling Eyes

I did consider also rating this one in the D range, but I did find more of this one to be tolerable than the first series, hence the slightly higher grade.

I feel like you honestly might be the only person that actually thought season 2 was better than one. I don't know what your specific issue is, but season one is actually trying to follow the manga and has an actual story, while season 2 is literally just random fan service episodes. Unless its the story which you specifically don't like which would make sense given some of its themes, but then again you should like season 2 even less if that is the case.

I view it more as Persona 4 and persona 4 golden the anime, one is an actual coherent work, and the other just a bunch of random episodes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I often wonder why fan service even exists. Confused It only pose as a distraction from a good story. Not that this piece of trash has one to begin with.

well i say its good trash. sure its not as popular as say highschool dxd , but these type of ecchi/harem series have its fans outright. in more or less sense, if there are those that like series like queen's blade , ikkitousen , heaven's lost property , sekirei and shinmai mao no testament that are ridiculously fanserviced, than they definitely should have no problem with maken ki. at least this series is better than let's say master of martial hearts.

johnnysasaki wrote:
getchman wrote:
rather amusing that Chris Sabat thought it was worthwhile to bring in Stephanie Sheh to play that kid cosplaying as Illya from Fate/kaleid in ep 4. didn't expect that

you know what would be more amusing?Sheh reprising her original role,but that's Sentai Filmworks for you...

never gonna happen. the reason why is that from the looks of things that series is leaning more towards the whole loli/yuri fanservice tendicies in an effort to please the otaku community and its more or less started after zwei and zwei hertz. now if this was the first season then probably, but its highly unlikely unless like with other fanservice based series (Tengo Tenge & Girls Bravo) she uses a different alias since its pretty much the only way that would be the case. other than that,the only other time you'll see seph as illya again will be the heaven's feel movie if it ever gets licensed in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MadHi

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I have no issues with fanservice whatsoever but even if the whole point of the anime is just to present as much of it as possible, a weak story with recycled character types and every single (bad) cliche in the book squeezed in still cannot save it, it just makes it unwatchable despite all the boobies they generously show. To this day, I still cannot finish this, Qwaser, or Queen's Blade.

As far as story goes, I'd give Maken-Ki no rating, the whole series is just a waste of existence, not even Monica Rial in all her "rialty" can make it one bit interesting.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely loved the first season and the wait for S2 to release on bluray so I can finally watch it was really painful Anime cry Unfortunately most likely wont be able to buy it until much later in the year as I have very important other bills and other things to pay/save for but can't wait to see S2 and hear more of the great dub, the fan-service and everything that makes this series entertaining Anime smile Just an absolute shame there's no LE like there was for S1 and both seasons wont match =/ seems to be a very growing trend and there are quite a few S2's for different animes where S1 has a LE and S2 doesn't so it throws off my entire anime collection Sad
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I really should have asked Cassandra Morris about the whole Maken-ki situation when I met her in June last year. I mean not only is her one and only Funimation role an ecchi harem series, but it wasn't even a popular ecchi harem series.

Judging by the pseudonym and the absence in Season 2 I get the feeling she's not particularly proud of the role. Like maybe she was just in the area for a convention, a guy at Funimation offered her the role, she thought 'Hey whatever a job's a job' but insisted on not being credited. The whole situation is so confusing.

What's not confusing is Scott Freeman's absence which is, to say the least, understandable. It's difficult for me to watch anything with him in it these days without thinking of what he did. ESPECIALLY when he's playing a pervert and talking about how he lives a 'very private life' in the commentary.

That's probably the only explanation. It's a shame, but at least she has something to her name regarding Funimation. Hopefully, if she has another role for them, it's something far more pleasant.

And just think of trying to watch the first two seasons of Highschool DxD without thinking of what Scott Freeman did. I just hope they get a VERY good replacement to play England from Hetalia in his place.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
i haven't watched this, nor do i intend to lol, but why are the sub and dub ratings the same for most if not all these reviews, like I've seen the fairy tail reviews, etc...
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
If you want softcore masturbation fodder there's plenty of shows that are basically all fanservice. If you want a good story then why in God's name are you watching an ecchi harem series?
True. Get your shit together, Japan.

Gemnist wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I really should have asked Cassandra Morris about the whole Maken-ki situation when I met her in June last year. I mean not only is her one and only Funimation role an ecchi harem series, but it wasn't even a popular ecchi harem series.

Judging by the pseudonym and the absence in Season 2 I get the feeling she's not particularly proud of the role. Like maybe she was just in the area for a convention, a guy at Funimation offered her the role, she thought 'Hey whatever a job's a job' but insisted on not being credited. The whole situation is so confusing.

What's not confusing is Scott Freeman's absence which is, to say the least, understandable. It's difficult for me to watch anything with him in it these days without thinking of what he did. ESPECIALLY when he's playing a pervert and talking about how he lives a 'very private life' in the commentary.

That's probably the only explanation. It's a shame, but at least she has something to her name regarding Funimation. Hopefully, if she has another role for them, it's something far more pleasant.

And just think of trying to watch the first two seasons of Highschool DxD without thinking of what Scott Freeman did. I just hope they get a VERY good replacement to play England from Hetalia in his place.
Agreed, it's what made him perfect for the roles.

Kb24lol wrote:
i haven't watched this, nor do i intend to lol, but why are the sub and dub ratings the same for most if not all these reviews, like I've seen the fairy tail reviews, etc...
An understandable audio track can give a different experience. Did they do a good job? If so it can drastically change the experience.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
Because most dubs, even some of the bad ones, don't have a significant negative effect on the series. Same goes for the opposite. I quite liked the High School DxD dub but it's still a crap show.

9 times out of 10 when you watch a show in English you're basically getting the same experience.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
I have no issues with fanservice whatsoever but even if the whole point of the anime is just to present as much of it as possible, a weak story with recycled character types and every single (bad) cliche in the book squeezed in still cannot save it, it just makes it unwatchable despite all the boobies they generously show. To this day, I still cannot finish this, Qwaser, or Queen's Blade.

As far as story goes, I'd give Maken-Ki no rating, the whole series is just a waste of existence, not even Monica Rial in all her "rialty" can make it one bit interesting.

Yes for the sake of all. Unless you like cheap fanservice whatsoever, these things are just little more than disposable trash. Here's wishing Japan stops making them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
LightYapper wrote:
Quote:
Here's wishing Japan stops making them.

The existence of this show in English is Funimation's fault. Just because it was issued in Japan didn't require Funimation to license or dub the show. Regardless, in both Japan and in the US, if people quit buying this type of show, they would quit making them. As long as there is a market, someone will fill it.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
LightYapper wrote:
Quote:
Here's wishing Japan stops making them.

The existence of this show in English is Funimation's fault. Just because it was issued in Japan didn't require Funimation to license or dub the show. Regardless, in both Japan and in the US, if people quit buying this type of show, they would quit making them. As long as there is a market, someone will fill it.

They had already done season 1 so they probably agreed to simulcast or distribute 2 around the same time and a dub may have come with the contract.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
I often wonder why fan service even exists. Confused It only pose as a distraction from a good story. Not that this piece of trash has one to begin with.

well i say its good trash. sure its not as popular as say highschool dxd , but these type of ecchi/harem series have its fans outright. in more or less sense, if there are those that like series like queen's blade , ikkitousen , heaven's lost property , sekirei and shinmai mao no testament that are ridiculously fanserviced, than they definitely should have no problem with maken ki. at least this series is better than let's say master of martial hearts.

johnnysasaki wrote:
getchman wrote:
rather amusing that Chris Sabat thought it was worthwhile to bring in Stephanie Sheh to play that kid cosplaying as Illya from Fate/kaleid in ep 4. didn't expect that

you know what would be more amusing?Sheh reprising her original role,but that's Sentai Filmworks for you...

never gonna happen. the reason why is that from the looks of things that series is leaning more towards the whole loli/yuri fanservice tendicies in an effort to please the otaku community and its more or less started after zwei and zwei hertz. now if this was the first season then probably, but its highly unlikely unless like with other fanservice based series (Tengo Tenge & Girls Bravo) she uses a different alias since its pretty much the only way that would be the case. other than that,the only other time you'll see seph as illya again will be the heaven's feel movie if it ever gets licensed in the US.

Sheh was in Strike Witches and didn't hide her name.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

And what is wrong with Funimation taking advantage of a well-established market? People want to watch this stuff, it's perfectly legal, and its type is a proven money-maker. Hence I see no problem with Funimation releasing the title in English even though I don't like the title myself.

And let me be absolutely clear about one thing: my dislike for this franchise is not because it's trash, but because it's bad trash. There are a fair number of trashy franchise that I actually enjoy (To Love-Ru, anyone?) but this isn't one of them.

CrownKlown wrote:
I feel like you honestly might be the only person that actually thought season 2 was better than one. I don't know what your specific issue is, but season one is actually trying to follow the manga and has an actual story, while season 2 is literally just random fan service episodes. Unless its the story which you specifically don't like which would make sense given some of its themes, but then again you should like season 2 even less if that is the case.

I laid out my reasons for hating the first season pretty thoroughly in my review of the first series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
LightYapper wrote:
MadHi wrote:

Yes for the sake of all. Unless you like cheap fanservice whatsoever, these things are just little more than disposable trash. Here's wishing Japan stops making them.

I agree, Japan should only cater to your needs in entertainment!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
@Key

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word "fault". Decision would have been more appropriate. I have no actual problem with fan service shows. I can think of no reason why Funimation shouldn't fill that demand. I was replying to someone who expressed a desire that they not be made which I feel is rather silly. My basic position is that if you don't like fan service (or any other specific type of show) just don't watch it. There is no show, no matter how praiseworthy, that someone doesn't think is unnecessary.

@Snakebit1995

Given Funimation's track record, I doubt there was any hesitation, much less a need for coercion, in their decision to sell either season. This is the company that came up with "Boobies for the Win" as an advertising slogan. A phrase which would fit quite a few of their offerings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4