• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmy-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
• What's up with Shion's squad's healing? Does everyone have healing magic in Shion's squad? I feel like I missed something important somewhere along the line.

That should have been explained at the second part of the second season when all the Tempest squads were explained prior the battle with Clayman's army but I revised now and the explanation is missing. Just in case I will explain with a spoiler tag:

spoiler[Shion's squad are all the Tempest residents that were killed when Falmuth attacked and later were resurrected when Rimuru evolved to a True Demon Lord. In that process all of them got a skill that grants extremely fast regeneration and another that protects them from any kind of mind control or mind damage. They are immortal. The downside is that most of them were normal hobgoblin residents, so, they are not very strong.]
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:54 am Reply with quote
Jimmy-kun wrote:
Quote:
• What's up with Shion's squad's healing? Does everyone have healing magic in Shion's squad? I feel like I missed something important somewhere along the line.

That should have been explained at the second part of the second season when all the Tempest squads were explained prior the battle with Clayman's army but I revised now and the explanation is missing. Just in case I will explain with a spoiler tag:

spoiler[Shion's squad are all the Tempest residents that were killed when Falmuth attacked and later were resurrected when Rimuru evolved to a True Demon Lord. In that process all of them got a skill that grants extremely fast regeneration and another that protects them from any kind of mind control or mind damage. They are immortal. The downside is that most of them were normal hobgoblin residents, so, they are not very strong.]

We actually were told that, I mean, not the why they have Super Generation, but we were told they had it and that they were not super strong so they were the perfect fit to stale the battle without anybody dying.

I think it was Shion who said it, can't remember, but I am 100% sure somebody did.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I would trade a Hinata Sakaguchi travelogue to all the past few meetings. Like, yeah, we still had meetings, but it was dinner conversation and actual worldbuilding.

Hinata also finally shows her cute side with getting to enjoy Japanese cuisine again, having a soft tongue, and the "I don't gain weight" line.

It's kind of hilarious how the long-awaited Rimuru and Hinata rematch is because of both sides being manipulated and misunderstanding the situation. Hinata is at least self-aware to that extent, but doesn't seem like she can do a lot other than fight Rimuru at this point.

Rimuru was worried about the Crusaders but his forces easily take care of them. I imagine it will probably be the same for the actual named guys, because we can't have anyone from Tempest not own their opponents or actually struggle.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Usually it's a bit of an eye roll with the japanese food being the best thing ever isekai trope, but it's hard to argue with tonkatsu ramen Laughing
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Weird what is this battle doing in my board meeting anime?

They all should have sit in a table to discuss how they were gonna act for 3 episodes, I can't believe they don't have a 200 men table in the middle of the forest, how unrealistic.

0/5 Stars.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I figured it had to do with the resurrected given that Gobzo was among the members. What edged it away from that was the new faces appearing in these squads.

Does anyone know why some of the goblins are starting to look like Oni? God I miss the original Oni designs. So much cooler looking then their human variants.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 1:35 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Yeah I figured it had to do with the resurrected given that Gobzo was among the members. What edged it away from that was the new faces appearing in these squads.

Does anyone know why some of the goblins are starting to look like Oni? God I miss the original Oni designs. So much cooler looking then their human variants.

The anime skipped that part, some goblins evolved into Ogres after Rimuru's ascension, I had to look it up after a bunch of Ogres popped from nowhere during the war with Clayman.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 1:29 am Reply with quote
I bet you Richard is gonna be quite annoyed at how dumb Rimuru and Hinata where acting in todays episode. Especially after saying he liked how they obviously realised something was going on.

Once again the author is demonstrating that he doesnt give a toss about the amount of strength of individuals, as long as they have a big dramatic fight. And there better be quite a good explanation to why Rimuru just lost his signature attack, the evolution of his original ability predator.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 3:48 am Reply with quote
I can say it did annoy me. The previous episodes really did give a good foundation for the misunderstandings and conflict, but this episode they were defusing the situation, reaching an understanding and... because some dude interrupted, they kind of forgot and fought anyway.

The loss of Beelzebub is the most high-stakes and suspicious thing that has happened in the whole series, too bad it was done in such a random and anticlimactic way.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 10:36 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I bet you Richard is gonna be quite annoyed at how dumb Rimuru and Hinata where acting in todays episode. Especially after saying he liked how they obviously realised something was going on.

Once again the author is demonstrating that he doesnt give a toss about the amount of strength of individuals, as long as they have a big dramatic fight. And there better be quite a good explanation to why Rimuru just lost his signature attack, the evolution of his original ability predator.

Im honestly looking forward to the next episode and everyone's reaction to it
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Luminous really seems to want to get crazy with that frozen naked woman the way she's basically humping her case while also naked. Also the way she put on a bathrobe and then immediately destroyed it to put on her normal outfit is such a flex.

It's funny how we sat through all those meetings and talking to get to this fight when it could have easily been resolved if they'd just talked for more than two minutes.

All the hype about the crusaders and they're easily outclassed by Tempest and most of their fights are entirely off-screen. The only ones who seemed like they had to put in an effort were the Beastketeers since their clothes were dirty, but they're only Tempest allies.

Shion might be one of the most OP of Tempests' warriors and just as smug and confident about it. Then again, she streamrolled the last major villain, so that confidence is earned. Of course it's just another sign of the lack of any serious tension in the series.

Even when Rimuru finally faces off against an opponent that makes him sweat, Raphael just so happens to conveniently hand him the exact skill he needs to even the odds. And then she finally gets some payback for the "you were more reliable as Great Sage" attack by having him take Hinata's attack head on.

At least we got to see Hinata's cute side. But probably back to more meetings now.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then we have the fights between the other oni and Hinata's knights. These knights have been built up as legitimate threats over the course of the season.

Honestly I didn't read it like that AT ALL. And it's not just out of cynicism, it's how the series is coding its characters and scenes. Their introduction felt like the show was blinking at the audience saying "these guys are important because they're the backbone of Lubelius' safety due to this and that, but they will be no big deal", so the show completely skipping their duels because they're ultimately uninteresting, pointless and a foregone conclusion is the most appropriate move the series could pull. Their role in the story was to politically force Hinata into a confrontation she wanted to avoid, not to turn it into a grueling tournament arc.

Then again I'm absolutely NOT a battle shounen fan, so Shion's battle proceeding as a one-sided curbstomp in true isekai fashion was more satisfying than a close fight full of sword clashes, sparks and flying colored lines.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I hoped to see the aftermath of Rimuru vs Hinata and everyone's reaction to it but I guess Ill have to wait another week after that cliffhanger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3