• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga's PeCChi Imprint Launches Kickstarter for Kodomo no Jikan Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
AlexPawllo wrote:
[Wikipedia has a funny bit about that:
"Former manga editor Toren Smith commented on the issue in favor of its content, accusing people who support the reverse gender scenario in series such as Negima! Magister Negi Magi of being hypocritical."

I was about to say it is still the girls who are the targets of nudity/fanservice (and they are also underage, unlike the teacher/student scenario here anyway) but then I remembered "his ding-a-ling touched my butt!".

Catsplay wrote:
Not exactly a fan of body pillows myself or anything like that but honestly there's nothing wrong with giving fans some fanservice like that.

There was another kickstarter (I forget which) which had to modify their tiers due to Kickstarter banning their planned pillow covers. I can't remember how explicit the covers were in that case (although in both cases parts of the images are obscured, and they aren't even showing the back side here)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Halko

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
Back in the 50s a man by the name of Nabokov wrote a novel that was extremely controversial and outright banned in many places. France alone banned it three separate times. It changed the definition of an entire word and spread the usage of that word worldwide. The novel was heralded as an exquisite piece of literature and a pile of vile smut by many different people. Despite of all of the outcry and condemnation of much of the public it went on to become one of the greatest American novels of the last century. It is of course the book named Lolita which is exactly where the "lolita complex" that lolicon is short for derived its name from.

Any form of art be it literature or a painting must stand on its own two feet and show itself for what it is. How tall it stands and how resilient it stays put is how you can tell if something is truly great or not. I loved Kodomo no Jikan when i read it and i absolutely adore Lolita. Its not because of the subject matter or how its presented but instead the fact that is is simply great art. KnJ isnt and will never be the next Lolita but maybe its release will spur some kind of PRODUCTIVE discussion over the entire lolicon issue instead of the general "I dont agree with it so its BAD AND YOUR A PERVERT" discussions that generally revolve around it. In that case maybe it will be the lolita of western fans and i hope it is as the rote disdain people have for anything that might possibly even kind of be even somewhat underage is really quite annoying.

Also if someone is to judge if something is obscene or not they must first actually consume and digest what is to be judged. You cant just read a summary of the story and see a picture or two and have any real notion of anything. If you want to judge KnJ or lolita READ THEM YOURSELVES. You will probably find there is more to them than just smut. Still lets be honest and just say that both have their share of it.

In any case a person should always look to expand their horizions and experience more of what is available. You dont have to like what you see but seeing something for what it is rather than what you want to perceive it to be based on prejudice are two very different things. Almost 15 years ago i was posting on forums asking people why they would ever waste their time watching foreign cartoons in another language and about how cartoons in general are stupid.

Here i am today.

Stay open minded people.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Well I backed it so now if it gets funded I'll get all the volumes and the short story collection I really hope it gets funded as this is a series that desipte the (to put it euphimisticaly) "uncomfortable elements". Has valid things to say about growing up still I know this is going to be really divisive but I backed the die has been cast and I'm happy.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
No one argues that violent video games have literary value and should open up a discussion on how society views wanton murder, assassination, warfare or grand theft auto.

If anyone wants KnJ to "open discussions" and challenge the notion that children can be instigators of sexual relationships with adults, or that child sexual abuse isn't damaging, expect to get a lot of pushback.
Asturaetus wrote:
I
Fiction is not only mere entertain. It isn't restricted to present only stories people enjoy. There are stories that make you sad or induce horror or even repulsion. Isn't it the prerogative of fiction to push past the boundaries and challege its readers views and beliefs?

I never understood the notion to condemn fiction or question its right to existence just because it doesn't allign with ones taste or views.

So what if it is a story that sexualizes young children? So was Vladimir Nabokov's 'Lolita' and that is a classic. So what if it challenges the common view that children somehow are asexual objects? That for the love of god can never never be the instigators of sexual acts and only be victims.

There is merit in exploring themes that repulse the average reader. There is merit in challenging taboos. Even just if it leads one to think about these taboos and why they exist. Reaffirming or overthrowing ones former believes.

G S Palmer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
Concerns about the series' content aside, unless Kickstarter pulls it, this looks like it will get funded, since it's only been what, one day? and it's already a sixth of the way to it's hardcover stretch goal.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Hilarious seeing all the whiners and complainers about how this is filth and will get pulled with massive backlash. Well, I'm pledging the physical collection. $10 per volume is pretty damn cheap compared to normal kickstarter prices.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
One thing that bugs me is the price though, I admit. The tier I chose with physical and digital version of the entire series was $200 +73 for shipping(customs will add +$40 something I think...).

Meanwhile, the entire Japanese physical edition of it is available for order on Rakuten for under twenty bucks + shipping. I went and ordered that too, for why the hell not. At least I'll be able to compare if I ever complete my Japanese studies...
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
No one argues that violent video games have literary value and should open up a discussion on how society views wanton murder, assassination, warfare or grand theft auto.

People have, actually, and the Supreme Court upheld the view in Brown v Entertainment Merchants Association. NB: One of the games considered in that case was RapeLay, an eroge where the player goes around raping women on the subway. Justice Alito, in a concurring opinion that took issue with some of the majority's reasoning, suggested that such games, being interactive might have effects upon player beyond standard entertainment formats like movies and books, and as such they might be more prone to restrictions, but the main ruling rejected this view.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Asturaetus is the one who seems to be taking real life implications from both KnJ and Lolita. Those are the notions that people object to, because, when acted upon, they can cause harm to people in real life.

I think this has nothing to do with the manga itself. People are to blame if they commit such acts, not a piece of paper with some ink on it.

Again, I think the manga is horrible. But back then and even now I can't even understand why people would NOT want it published, aside moralism. I wouldn't certain let anyone I know read it, but if they want to, it's their choice. And the market will tell if there's a place for a manga like this, regardless if I like it or not.
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand why there's so much controversy about this, I mean there have been some mangas published in the US with minors portrayed in a 'sexual' manner..
If you wanna go technical Naruto's first chapter had Naruto's Sexy Jutsu showing part of a nipple (though that was censored in the US release, I think?) Ranma had a TON of nude scenes, heck even Dragon Ball had Bulma naked.. Every Masakazu Katsura manga had teenagers naked.. Even One Piece's Nami had some very sexualized comments when she was a child, I remember her saying once to one of the guys who took care of her when she was a kid that she would pay back 'with her body', this is a line Nami said when she was like 10 years aold (though I don't know if Viz censored)

So why is it that people find this manga so controversial?
I don't know much about law, and I know even less about US's laws but I think someone from the age of 0 to 18 is considered a minor, so if Bulma, Ranma, or any other character was sexualized, I don't think there would be any difference (in the eyes of the law) to having a 9 year old sexualized..

We also have literature that has sexualized minors, people already commented on Lolita and Lost Girls.. But there's also a very popular series of books, 'A song of ice and fire', AKA 'Game of Thrones' a lot of the characters in the books have different ages, for example Daenerys is 13 in the books when the story starts, so yeah.. And George isn't shy when it comes to sex scenes,spoiler[ not even describing the naked body of a 13 year old girl about to consumate marriage.].
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if miscellany like the pilot chapters or short comics bundled with the anime DVDs will be included somewhere in these books.

Halko wrote:
So really in the end what my first post was wanting to discuss is why should something that has artistic value be considered vulgar because a fantasy character that appears in sexual context that is under 18? The reason its illegal in reality is that it harms those involved but in fantasy that is not an issue. So why is it here and where does it stop? Is Steven Segal a serial killer for the people he's killed in his movies?

That is the primary discussion that needs to happen and has already happened. It is why Lolita is still available in many public libraries and hasn't been censored or modified. Why is manga different?

I'd guess the lesser cultural cachet of comic books compared to novels is a factor as well as the level of the graphic nature of "objectionable" content. I haven't read Lolita but as I understand it the book is not very explicit regarding sex (because of poetic language as much as anything else) whereas there's lots of near-nudity, underwear, etc. in Kodomo no Jikan.
battlechili1

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news! If this gets published it'd be an excellent win for free speech in the West. It really sucks that the controversy last time this was going to get published wound up having the release cancelled. I really hope this is successful this time around! Although if it winds up censored at all I won't be supporting it, though it looks like from statements on the Kickstarter page that it won't be an issue to worry about.
Agent355 wrote:
Many video games do just that though. I believe the Drakengard series in particular likes to explore what drives people to kill.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Lolita, people often miss that the book has an unreliable narrator. It's no love story. HH is a pedophile and any sex is intended to be read as straight-up rape.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
battlechili1 wrote:
This is awesome news! If this gets published it'd be an excellent win for free speech in the West. .

This has nothing to do with free speech, actually. It's a product that isn't illegal and can be sold on the market. And only the market can judge if it's successful or not.
MakoMori

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

Because no one needs to take the time to evaluate why sexual relations with children is wrong.
That said, if DMP wants to get that KS money and print it so be it, but at least be honest about what you're peddling. You're not giving people Lolita, you're giving them fetish material that fits within legal bounds.

THANK YOU for wonderfully articulating what creeps me (and I imagine other people) out about this. I honestly don't understand why we should question things like objecting to adults having sexual relations with children.

I am against censorship, and if people want to read it they should be able to, but I don't see how this is some kind of grand statement for free speech/anti PC-culture or whatever.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8