• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Announces Toonami Rewind Block With Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z Kai, Naruto Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
Bit unfortunate they are doing DBZ Kai though, but I get it. Won't take as long to get through it, and in terms of video quality, it beats out any of the original releases from Funimation outside of the Dragon Box.

This is true until you get to Buu...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:50 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:

lol, no, that's an insult to the good 4Kids dubs. (Ult. Muscle, TMM/MMP, etc.)

Alright I’ll cop their Pokemom dub being good enough to the point the new dub was hard to get into. But other than that.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I think out of all the older Toonami shows that have a realistic chance of coming back I think the older Gundam shows like Wing and SEED might have the biggest chance. Of course now there's the complications of Crunchyroll owning Nozomi so they might try to block Toonami from getting more Gundam. Gatchaman might also have a chance since Sentai still owns it and Cartoon Network has a good relationship with them. I'm not sure what the status is with Big O but Big O II might still work since Cartoon Network co-produced that. If we expand to include older Adult Swim stuff, there's some more Viz back catalog shows they could add to Toonami Rewind like Inuyasha, Death Note, and OG Bleach. If they can get the rights from Anchor Bay I could also see them adding GITS SAC/2nd Gig.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think out of all the older Toonami shows that have a realistic chance of coming back I think the older Gundam shows like Wing and SEED might have the biggest chance. Of course now there's the complications of Crunchyroll owning Nozomi so they might try to block Toonami from getting more Gundam.

Weren't the recent Gundam TV deals directly through Sunrise?

If so then the others should be safe for either block outside of maybe G-Witch.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think out of all the older Toonami shows that have a realistic chance of coming back I think the older Gundam shows like Wing and SEED might have the biggest chance.
With seed, the dub that they’re might be using is the NYAV post dub.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
And yeah, frankly it doesn't matter what versions of dubs air, the whole point is for people still watching to go "oh my god, I loved Sailor Moon!"

Exactly this. Outside of hardcore anime fan forums like this one, most people who remember Sailor Moon from their childhoods don't even know there were multiple dubs, and those who do, probably don't care. They're going to tune in to see Sailor Moon, not "Sailor Moon but I can only enjoy it with CGI scene transitions and American-sounding names." After 20 years, most people don't even remember those sorts of details.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think out of all the older Toonami shows that have a realistic chance of coming back I think the older Gundam shows like Wing and SEED might have the biggest chance.

I think Seed is unlikely given that it was a ratings flop on its original Toonami broadcast, and came along at a time when the CN version of Toonami was in decline (having been regulated to Saturdays only by then.) This wasn't the show's fault, as CN did a terrible job of promoting it, but it still means it doesn't have a big following among Toonami fans.

If they get a Gundam show then it's definitely going to be Wing. I personally think it hasn't aged too well but it's still one of the shows that's most directly associated with the classic era of Toonami. While weekday Toonami aired a lot of Gundam shows, the only ones that really scored big numbers were Wing and G Gundam, but if they have to pick one it'll be Wing because of its greater nostalgia value.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think Seed is unlikely given that it was a ratings flop on its original Toonami broadcast, and came along at a time when the CN version of Toonami was in decline (having been regulated to Saturdays only by then.) This wasn't the show's fault, as CN did a terrible job of promoting it, but it still means it doesn't have a big following among Toonami fans.
SEED though is going through something of a nostalgia resurgence with the recent Gundam SEED Freedom movie which even in the US seems to have sold well. So if there would be any time to tap into SEED nostalgia, it would be now.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Dr. Wily wrote:
And yeah, frankly it doesn't matter what versions of dubs air, the whole point is for people still watching to go "oh my god, I loved Sailor Moon!"

Exactly this. Outside of hardcore anime fan forums like this one, most people who remember Sailor Moon from their childhoods don't even know there were multiple dubs, and those who do, probably don't care. They're going to tune in to see Sailor Moon, not "Sailor Moon but I can only enjoy it with CGI scene transitions and American-sounding names." After 20 years, most people don't even remember those sorts of details.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

If they get a Gundam show then it's definitely going to be Wing. I personally think it hasn't aged too well but it's still one of the shows that's most directly associated with the classic era of Toonami. While weekday Toonami aired a lot of Gundam shows, the only ones that really scored big numbers were Wing and G Gundam, but if they have to pick one it'll be Wing because of its greater nostalgia value.
Well if people are aware that some anime had multiple dubs, then they would prefer one dub over the other depending on the quality of the dub.
TokimekiCrisis

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Outside of hardcore anime fan forums like this one, most people who remember Sailor Moon from their childhoods don't even know there were multiple dubs, and those who do, probably don't care. They're going to tune in to see Sailor Moon, not "Sailor Moon but I can only enjoy it with CGI scene transitions and American-sounding names." After 20 years, most people don't even remember those sorts of details.

I have never seen this to be the case at all. Only the hardcore people would be the ones who know and point out these shows are originally Japanese and those English names are not the real names. All the casual fans I've met who remember Sailor Moon quote the original English theme song when it comes up and call them the "Sailor Scouts" and use their English names. They don't know who Usagi and Makoto are, they know Serena and Lita. Whether it's people in real life or the most normie-friendly Twitch streamers or Nintendo YouTubers the people who know the Japanese version are the minority in my experience.

These are all fairly niche shows in 2024. Most people who would remember them are people who grew up watching these English versions on TV back in the day. I must be living in a parallel world from you because all the casual people I meet always default to the old English dubs for anime. Like even the big Fandom wikis for these franchises tend to default to their English names. If you call it a Kienzen instead of a "Destructor Disk" you get funny looks in my experience. I think people are underestimating people's preference for a specific dub. For the longest time you would always see people say they prefer dubs to subs bif the English script makes the dialog more humerous or punchy like Digimon, Shin-chan, Sgt Frog, Yu Yu Hakusho, Panty and Stocking, and all those shows. Asking them to watch a new version without all that was always hard sell especially if it was in Japanese.

People got upset the PSP version of Symphony of the Night didn't have the awful voice acting from the English version? People were genuinely mad they couldn't hear "Die monster, you don't belong in this world". People absolutely have a preference for specific voices and dubs. Quality has no baring in terms of nostalgia
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 6:55 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Weren't the recent Gundam TV deals directly through Sunrise?

If so then the others should be safe for either block outside of maybe G-Witch.
This is where I think Rayearth might actually be plausible to air on Toonami if they're able to get the rights directly from TMS and they seem to have a friendly relationship with TMS with them airing all the Lupin stuff. I think classic Lupin might also be something potentially they could air since part 1 is dubbed now and part 2 also aired on Adult Swim back in the day. But I think any of the retro shows people are wanting that are Crunchyroll exclusive and they're not able to get directly from the licensors is probably a no go.

Quote:
I have never seen this to be the case at all. Only the hardcore people would be the ones who know and point out these shows are originally Japanese and those English names are not the real names. All the casual fans I've met who remember Sailor Moon quote the original English theme song when it comes up and call them the "Sailor Scouts" and use their English names. They don't know who Usagi and Makoto are, they know Serena and Lita. Whether it's people in real life or the most normie-friendly Twitch streamers or Nintendo YouTubers the people who know the Japanese version are the minority in my experience.
Yet if we look at how well the Viz dub has actually done I recall Right Stuf saying in old ANNCast episodes the Viz Sailor Moon release was always one of their top sellers and the US theatrical release of the 90s movies they did a few years ago also did well for Viz. Sailor Moon is still well loved in 2024 and I doubt most casual fans are tracking down the DiC dub off the pirate sites when they can just sign into Hulu to watch it.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If they can get the rights from Anchor Bay I could also see them adding GITS SAC/2nd Gig.

[AS] actually has perpetual broadcast rights for SAC, same with Bebop. The problem would be the timeslot, I don't think you can show an episode like Jungle Cruise at 6 PM.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I think only the casual anime fans love the edited dubs while the hardcore fans don’t.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I feel like some people in here are conflating the original Toonami block that aired on Cartoon Network with the current Toonami incarnation on [adult swim]. The current Saturday night Toonami block is really just a straight continuation of the anime block that's been airing on [as] since 2002. That block was originally labeled as "Adult Swim Action" (or ACTN for short) and ran under that branding for a decade, though it was never as distinct of a presence as the Toonami bumpers are now. It was only after the Toonami April Fool's stunt in 2012 got such an overwhelmingly positive response that Jason DeMarco and Gill Austin decided to switch the Action packaging over to Toonami going forward. (It helped that the Action block had grown pretty moribund over the past couple of years, and the new branding and acquisitions gave it a much-needed shot of enthusiasm.) [as]'s anime forays certainly owe a lot to the original Toonami, particularly its older-targeted Midnight Run block that was a direct forerunner of the Action block, but it's always been its own distinct entity, and that has continued even after getting Steve Blum back to voice TOM on Saturday nights.

All of this is to say that, even though the original Toonami block aired on Cartoon Network proper, this new block is on [adult swim] and serves as an extension of its existing anime content. [as] has been a distinct network from CN for ratings purposes since 2005, and in the past year or two it's taken over the lion's share of schedule slots on the channel, probably because CN's target audience barely watches traditional linear TV anymore. Sure, this block is a throwback to the OG Toonami's weekday broadcasts, but it's adhering to [as]'s standards, and they're never going to broadcast an old significantly content-edited version of a series if there's a much newer and better option available.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:16 am Reply with quote
TokimekiCrisis wrote:
Like even the big Fandom wikis for these franchises tend to default to their English names.

Which is so lazy.

TokimekiCrisis wrote:
People got upset the PSP version of Symphony of the Night didn't have the awful voice acting from the English version? People were genuinely mad they couldn't hear "Die monster, you don't belong in this world". People absolutely have a preference for specific voices and dubs. Quality has no baring in terms of nostalgia

In this particular case it’s more for the “so bad it’s good” elements of the old SOTN rather than it those people thinking it was objectively a good dub. It’s also kinda dumb since Konami has kept the old English dub of SOTN in circulation through rereleases/ports of the original PlayStation game.

So there was never any legitimacy to those complaints.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 1:24 am Reply with quote
The block this will be replacing already airs nostalgia shows like Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and Ed Edd 'n Eddy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10