• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Politically-charged Manga Suspended in Japan

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlund

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:09 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Your position (correct me if I am wrong) seems to be that there are relative moral considerations with regard to atrocious behaviour. That some atrocities are mandated by the need to avoid greater atrocities.

That's fair enough. I accept as part of reality that there are circumstances where men are forced by other men and circumstance to choose between evils, and that it is best to choose the lesser of those evils.

Quote:
My position, as previously stated, is absolute: there are no relative stages of atrocity, whether in terms of numbers of victims or military considerations. No atrocity is "greater" or "lesser" than another - because thinking that way invites using the atrocities of others to justify jumping on the bandwagon and committing one's own atrocities.

While I understand the reasoning, I can't say that I accept it as truth. This is a disagreement of fundmental values.

Quote:
Well, sticking with the school bus example, the point I desired to make was that the first situation (mad killer with hostages -> you have to kill him to save them) you described was the morally unassailable one. The counter-example that I raised (taking the killer's family as counter-hostages) was to illustrate the fact that atrocity does not justify atrocity. I still think it makes the point quite well.

Unfortunately, I disagree. I think it fails to make the point, though it succedes in raising questions.

To take the counter-hostage example to a whole new level, consider Mutually Assured Destruction. We live in a world were practically everyone on the planet is held hostage against the deaths of one another. Global Thermonuclear Atrocities are averted by the hostage situation - the promise that if one is commited everyone will die.

Bringing it back to anime and manga for a moment, this theme comes up even in Ah Megami-sama! manga - the pact between the Angels and Demons in which their "lives" are held hostage against one another.

Quote:
When you create a stylized hypothetical situation for the sake of argument, you must accept that others use the circumstances of that hypothetical situation to make their own points, by extending the analogy. That's what I did. If the results weren't to your liking, you should have picked a better example. Wink

You assume too much of your success in doing so, here, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Leaving aside the "human shield" question - because that is truly a sticky wicket, with no good moral answer

That's exactly the point! Don't avoid it.

Reality is full of "sticky wickets" like that, with "no good moral answer. That's still the world we live in. Those are still the dillemas that there but for the grace of God go I.

Quote:
The problem is intentionally targeting civilians. That isn't "on the low moral end of the scale" - it's an atrocity by definition.

Atrocities are on the low end of the moral scale, at least on mine. I can't say the same for everyone else on the planet. Some people believe that civilians ought to be the primary target of their violence and oppression whenever possible.

Quote:
To believe that a monster will ever be anything but a monster, to think that you can employ monstrous methods without irreparably tainting yourself morally, is truly naïve. Once you employ the services of monsters, you become a monster yourself. You may not notice it, but the moral decay will have set in, the moment you make the decision to allow such tactics.

And yet we needed Stalin to stop Hitler, other monsters to stop the Soviets, and so on it goes - we get to the price of escaping the jackboot further down.

mlund wrote:
Quote:
But where do you get the wisdom or privilege to lend definitions to the semantics, then? Some people seem to believe that "justice" entails murdering your daughter because she desires to be literate while tolerating the existance of homosexuals is an "atrocity."

Hmm. I'm not the only person who can use cultural stereotypes to tar entire populations with a big brush, eh? Wink

Do not even begin to attempt to escape culpability by blaming others for what you yourself did. I have stereotyped no one's culture. Such thinking is not the exclusive province of any particular nation, race, ethnicity, or religion.

Quote:
Let's see, could you be referring to Fred Phelps' crowd? No, they haven't murdered any daughters, yet. Or was there some other population group you were thinking of? Rolling Eyes

My cultural ancestors are guilty of beating and murdering their daughters for literacy and deeming homosexuality as an atrocity - there are plenty of witch-hunts back in that closet, I'm sure. If I perceive the same mistakes and wrongs being committed in the modern era by whatever individuals and parties that is a tangental point entirely.

Quote:
Good question - one that has been the topic of debate for centuries now. The current agreed-upon consensual answer is in the form of the Geneva Conventions for the subject of warfare, and in the form of the local penal code, for civilian murder. Does that answer your question?

It begs the follow-up - what makes Geneva "right" and something else "wrong?" What about people who did not sign up for the Geneva convention? Is this mandate derived from the Tyranny of the Majority, Natural Law, Divine Right, or simple Force of Arms?

Quote:
Obviously from the above, war crimes tribunals have a lot of attendant problems. But do we have a better solution?

Obviously war and atrocities have a lot of attendant problems. But do we have a better solution?

I'd like it to always be true, and to have always been true. I'd like to strive to keep the bar high, and never have to stoop to that level again. However, I recognize the reality that sometimes societies are unwilling to take the steps necessary to preserve a true and lasting peace in the world. Historically, humans have a knack for turning a blind eye to the rot and cancers in the world until the time to avoid great horrors has long past.

Then other men are left to bear those burdens.

Quote:
If we're ever going to win over the terrorists, it will be through moral superiority - by not descending to their level. Otherwise it's just another phase in an endless cycle of revenge kilings.

The problem is that when you are dead and the less moral are writing the history books, controlling the media, and expunging your existance from the pages of history, the likelihood of victory through moral superitory dims greatly.

I agree that we have to win through moral superiority, but I consider that military might has a role to play there too. I'm thankful that the scale of conflict and military strength makes it possible to "pull punches" and keep the moral high ground without risking greater tragedy. I also recognize that sometimes the circumstances are not as fortunate.

Quote:
It's an accident of war when the same bomb was intended for another, legitimate target (barring gross negligence, of course).

So then we agree that the intended outcome of the action affects the moral status of the action? If it is purely about means and results, bombs kill and dead civilians are dead civilians. Once we agree that intended consequence color the morality of an action, we're left to argue the semantics involved in the equations.

Quote:
My position, however, is that there can be no justification for atrocity, and a civilised person or state must take responsibility for his/its atrocities - by standing trial for war crimes (if an individual) or by offering reparations and apologies (if a state).

That would certainly be ideal. Though we live in a less than ideal world (pretty hard to compensate victims monetarily when a corrupt totalitarian government will simply embessel the reparations), I put the highest valuation on working to prevent a circumstance of inevitable atrocity from happening again.

Quote:
Quote:
I beg to differ. The problem is that you can not ultimately defeat evil with more evil. The "best" outcome of a strictly evil v. more evil conflict would ultimately be a nihilistic solution, I suppose. That's not acceptable in my opinion.

Mmm... We're saying the same thing with different words. Let me try again:

You should not attempt to fight evil with evil, because the net result is only more evil.

You see, this is where I disagree. I see situations where I believe the choices between the lesser of two evils carries down series of forks where you are eventually left with evils weak enough that "good" can overwhelm them, rather than be itself overwhelmed through mass-murder and oppression.

The alternative of letting evil simply win and oppress the world and then wait for the system to rot itself out - that option does not appeal to me.

Quote:
mlund wrote:
Quote:
You are right - once war is joined, the probability of atrocities occurring approaches unity. But that this is logically true does not make it morally correct.

Agreed.

It may, however, be the only thing left holding the line keeping the free world from jackboots and gas chambers.

It isn't right and it shouldn't be the eternal status quo - but it is also better than many alternatives that history has shown us.

Ah, the pragmatic argument. I'm not free from this, myself. As previously stated, I'd be unable to stand up to my own high moral standards, given sufficiently aggravated circumstances. But that doesn't invalidate those standards, it merely highlights my human imperfection.

Of course it doesn't invalidate those standards. Hypocrisy does not invalidate a postulate or theory.

However, I find it very difficult to cast stones at people for doing something that, deep down in my soul, I know that I might do if faced with the exact same capabilities and consequences. Instead I find it much easier to pass judgment on people who I believe have a "worse" set of moral values supporting their conduct than my own - people who make decisions that I would not make given identical capabilities and consequences.

Quote:
mlund wrote:
To the counter-point, however, if I were to refuse to "push the button," I would also think myself to be an accomplice to the horror that would come. I would find no measure of peace with my life and I would lay the blame at the feet of my own lack of scruples.

Surely, not "lack of scruples", but rather "surfeit of scruples"?

No. I could very well judge it to be a lack of a particularly vital scruple that renders a man unable to sacrifice his own soul for the sake of others.

Quote:
mlund wrote:
Just how much is my soul worth when measured in the blood of innocents, I wonder?

Hmm. This begs the question: can one become a sort of twisted version of a "hero", by accepting the onus of an intolerable moral dilemma and making the abhorrent but practically necessary decision required by the situation - thereby damning oneself but saving one's fellows?

The concept of the "anti-hero" is no stranger to modern literature and pop-culture. These are the guard-dog monsters that are kept on a leash to protect the innocent for even worse monsters who have been unleashed on the world.

- Marty Lund
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
mlund wrote:
abunai wrote:
Your position (correct me if I am wrong) seems to be that there are relative moral considerations with regard to atrocious behaviour. That some atrocities are mandated by the need to avoid greater atrocities.

That's fair enough. I accept as part of reality that there are circumstances where men are forced by other men and circumstance to choose between evils, and that it is best to choose the lesser of those evils.

Quote:
My position, as previously stated, is absolute: there are no relative stages of atrocity, whether in terms of numbers of victims or military considerations. No atrocity is "greater" or "lesser" than another - because thinking that way invites using the atrocities of others to justify jumping on the bandwagon and committing one's own atrocities.

While I understand the reasoning, I can't say that I accept it as truth. This is a disagreement of fundmental values.

Yes, I think that is correct. In fact, I suspect that, having reached that conclusion, we've also almost reached the end of the usefulness of this debate, since we have fairly clarified each our positions.

mlund wrote:
{hostage discussion snipped for brevity}
Bringing it back to anime and manga for a moment, this theme comes up even in Ah Megami-sama! manga - the pact between the Angels and Demons in which their "lives" are held hostage against one another.

Well, this is an anime forum (although you'd never know it to look at this thread Smile ), so I can't complain at a good example from anime - but you could also have cited plenty of traditional examples from history. The mediaeval European custom of fostering children with allies, for instance. Or the exchange of hostages in numerous historical situations in all parts of the world.

mlund wrote:
Quote:
When you create a stylized hypothetical situation for the sake of argument, you must accept that others use the circumstances of that hypothetical situation to make their own points, by extending the analogy. That's what I did. If the results weren't to your liking, you should have picked a better example. Wink

You assume too much of your success in doing so, here, I'm afraid.

Don't get your knickers in a twist over my saying this - but I think you're just refusing to admit that I scored a point off you with your own ball. Wink

mlund wrote:
Quote:
The problem is intentionally targeting civilians. That isn't "on the low moral end of the scale" - it's an atrocity by definition.

Atrocities are on the low end of the moral scale, at least on mine. I can't say the same for everyone else on the planet. Some people believe that civilians ought to be the primary target of their violence and oppression whenever possible.

Hmm. It looks like you misunderstood me. I was saying that targeting civilians wasn't an example of low morals, but of no morals. Remember that point of fundamental disagreement between us? I see atrocities as being outside (below) the scale of immoral behaviour, whereas you see shades of bad beviour that gradually move down into atrocity.

Or to put in other words: If military malfeasance were somehow represented in the form of a mechanical device, I would see the "Atrocity" switch as an ON/OFF button. You would see it as a knob that could be turned, giving graduated values of atrocity. Am I right?

mlund wrote:
And yet we needed Stalin to stop Hitler, other monsters to stop the Soviets, and so on it goes - we get to the price of escaping the jackboot further down.

Reminds me of the childrens' song about the old woman who swallowed a fly. Then she swallowed a spider, to get the fly. Etcetera.

mlund wrote:
Quote:
Good question - one that has been the topic of debate for centuries now. The current agreed-upon consensual answer is in the form of the Geneva Conventions for the subject of warfare, and in the form of the local penal code, for civilian murder. Does that answer your question?

It begs the follow-up - what makes Geneva "right" and something else "wrong?" What about people who did not sign up for the Geneva convention? Is this mandate derived from the Tyranny of the Majority, Natural Law, Divine Right, or simple Force of Arms?

I always get antsy when someone who obviously subscribes to the ideal of democracy starts talking about the "tyranny" of the majority.

The central idea of democracy is that issues are fairly debated, then voted upon, and the majority opinion prevails. It's not a perfect system, but it looks like it's the best we've managed to come up with so far. Alternate, consensus-based forms of democracy have been tried, but they don't work all that well. The old Polish republic, or the current U.N., are illustrative examples.

If you don't buy into the idea that a democratic system makes majority decisions, then your only alternatives are the consensual system, or minority rule. So, if you don't want democratic majority rule, and you don't think consensus works, then you're left with such sterling historical examples of minority rule as, say, Rhodesia. Or Rwanda. Or South Africa.

The short answer to your question is that there is nothing that makes the Geneva Conventions infallible. Nor are they moral absolutes. Many of the features of the GCs are the result of specific historical processes that the creators of the GCs had had to deal with. But, like the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, they are our current best offering in the field of moral standards.

Later ages of humanity may be aghast at the lack of fundamental moral rights that we took for granted in our age, much as we are shocked to read of slavery in past ages. But that will be because the status of human morality has advanced. And make no mistake, I believe that, overall, mankind is doing a better job of it now than a century ago.

mlund wrote:
Quote:
Obviously from the above, war crimes tribunals have a lot of attendant problems. But do we have a better solution?

Obviously war and atrocities have a lot of attendant problems. But do we have a better solution?

Cheap potshot, with no argumentative content. If I want a repeated mockery of my own words, I'll buy a parrot. Wink

Hmm... repeat after me: "Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight! Awk!" Very Happy Wow! Are you available for next Talk Like A Pirate Day?

mlund wrote:
I'd like it to always be true, and to have always been true. I'd like to strive to keep the bar high, and never have to stoop to that level again. However, I recognize the reality that sometimes societies are unwilling to take the steps necessary to preserve a true and lasting peace in the world. Historically, humans have a knack for turning a blind eye to the rot and cancers in the world until the time to avoid great horrors has long past.

Historically and indisputably true. The desire to avoid conflict can lead to the most foolish decisions. Sometimes, you have to head off conflict by early decisive action.

But maybe I'm naïve in my belief that such actions need not be carried out using the same means that the enemy uses. My belief that there can be decisive military action without the need for atrocities to ever occur.

mlund wrote:
Quote:
If we're ever going to win over the terrorists, it will be through moral superiority - by not descending to their level. Otherwise it's just another phase in an endless cycle of revenge kilings.

The problem is that when you are dead and the less moral are writing the history books, controlling the media, and expunging your existance from the pages of history, the likelihood of victory through moral superitory dims greatly.

Hmm. Ask Israel how much safety they've managed to produce for themselves by using the same tactics as their opponents. Or you could dig out your Ouija board, and ask Adolf Hitler whether, in retrospect, the Blitz was such a good idea.

Don't mistake terror tactics for an ultimate weapon - sometimes they produce the exact opposite result to that which was intended. Instead of demoralising the enemy, they galvanise him into action.

mlund wrote:
I agree that we have to win through moral superiority, but I consider that military might has a role to play there too. I'm thankful that the scale of conflict and military strength makes it possible to "pull punches" and keep the moral high ground without risking greater tragedy. I also recognize that sometimes the circumstances are not as fortunate.

So stipulated. I think we're on fairly common ground, as far as the subject of realistic circumstances is concerned. Where we disagree appears to be solely on moral implications, not on practical considerations.

mlund wrote:
Quote:
It's an accident of war when the same bomb was intended for another, legitimate target (barring gross negligence, of course).

So then we agree that the intended outcome of the action affects the moral status of the action? If it is purely about means and results, bombs kill and dead civilians are dead civilians. Once we agree that intended consequence color the morality of an action, we're left to argue the semantics involved in the equations.

We were never in disagreement about this. Our disagreement centered on whether an atrocious intended consequence (targeting civilians to demoralise the enemy) could be justified by a "greater" atrocity, or by necessity. We are still in fundamental disagreement about this - and I don't think our positions are likely to budge any further.

mlund wrote:
The alternative of letting evil simply win and oppress the world and then wait for the system to rot itself out - that option does not appeal to me.

Nor to me. But taking up arms against an enemy, and using terror tactics against him, are two very different matters.

As I implied before, it is what separates (or should separate, though that is not always as true as it ought to be) the U.S. armed forces from the Al-Qaeda terrorists. One is morally superior to the other. But that moral superiority is always in jeopardy, and requires constant vigilance to maintain. It is so very easy to fall into the trap of justifying successively more horrible acts, in the name of defeating an enemy whose acts are indisputable atrocities.

mlund wrote:
Quote:
Ah, the pragmatic argument. I'm not free from this, myself. As previously stated, I'd be unable to stand up to my own high moral standards, given sufficiently aggravated circumstances. But that doesn't invalidate those standards, it merely highlights my human imperfection.

Of course it doesn't invalidate those standards. Hypocrisy does not invalidate a postulate or theory.

That was uncalled for - both rude and untrue. Apart from the inflammatory language used, "hypocrisy" implies a double standard. I don't have a double standard - I have only the one. But I am fairly certain that I would not be able to live up to it, given sufficient emotional pressure.

mlund wrote:
However, I find it very difficult to cast stones at people for doing something that, deep down in my soul, I know that I might do if faced with the exact same capabilities and consequences. Instead I find it much easier to pass judgment on people who I believe have a "worse" set of moral values supporting their conduct than my own - people who make decisions that I would not make given identical capabilities and consequences.

On this, we are in perfect agreement.

mlund wrote:
Quote:
mlund wrote:
To the counter-point, however, if I were to refuse to "push the button," I would also think myself to be an accomplice to the horror that would come. I would find no measure of peace with my life and I would lay the blame at the feet of my own lack of scruples.

Surely, not "lack of scruples", but rather "surfeit of scruples"?

No. I could very well judge it to be a lack of a particularly vital scruple that renders a man unable to sacrifice his own soul for the sake of others.

Hmm. I can't quite wrap my head around this backwards logic, but I think I see what you mean. It amounts to the same, anyway.

mlund wrote:
Quote:
mlund wrote:
Just how much is my soul worth when measured in the blood of innocents, I wonder?

Hmm. This begs the question: can one become a sort of twisted version of a "hero", by accepting the onus of an intolerable moral dilemma and making the abhorrent but practically necessary decision required by the situation - thereby damning oneself but saving one's fellows?

The concept of the "anti-hero" is no stranger to modern literature and pop-culture. These are the guard-dog monsters that are kept on a leash to protect the innocent for even worse monsters who have been unleashed on the world.

I'll tell you what.... you can have the "anti-heros" and the "guard-dog monsters". I'll take the citizen soldiers and the scrupulous few. I may lose the war, but I'll sleep better at night.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I've let this go on is that you two have been having a very intelligent and personal-attack-free discussion. The last few posts unfortunately included a few personal attacks, several of which were responded to with more snide remarks.

Either be 100% civil or drop the OT conversation.

-t
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I have been paying attention to this discussion since it started but have not chimed in until now because these are genuinely hard questions.

On Nanking--
It was a massacure justified at the top level. It does not matter whether 100,000 or 300,000 died the fact was they died in the most brutal manner availible. Officers had "head contests" with Samurai swords. Women were raped, had private parts removed. Nothing can justify any of those things.

Also, Japanese textbook softpedal those things. The reason for this is the same reason my father read textbooks that pointed out how blacks "benefited" from slavery. In both cases, the political decendants of the perpitrators of these actions were still in power and were/are useing the power to shape opinions to protect themselves.
In the case of Japan, they are some factions of the Liberal Democratic party, as well as those govenment buercrats, who essentially survived the war unpurged and then reasserted themselves after the end of the occupation. Not unlike the southerners who reestablished themselves after "reconstruction" during the American Civil War.

Enjin, I hate to say it, but like my father I believe you are a victim of such "education".

Before I condem her, I want to ask everyone, can you honestly be critical of your own society if push comes to shove? Can all or even a majority of Americans be honest on the situation in Iraq? How about that we indirectly fund Al Queda when put we oil in our gas tank, not to mention what it's doing to our enviroment.
The fact is, it's easier to pretend that our society is justified, and we are on dangerous ground when start to ask questions like "Are we defending the freedom of the people of Iraq or are we defending the freedom of the Big Oil companies to make a profit?" or alternately "Are some of those liberals I work beside just trying to glorify themselves (as I do)".
I think the best way to prevent such situations is to be honest about the society you live in and it's not easy.

As for attrocites--

I do say there are some two kinds.

The Holocaust, the Rape of Nanking, the Cultural Revolution
were the actions of a ruling class justifying it's power and taking care of any "threats" to itself.

Hiroshima, Sherman's March, etc. are the actions of one military acting to end a war through drastic action with the justifcation/hope that these actions will end the war sooner and save lives and prevent undesirable situations such as a "North/South Japan". Sometimes they have consequences that can't be seen. I believe part of why Mutually Assured Destruction worked in the cold war is because we had the example of Hiroshima. It's not pretty, but more of us are alive if that is true. Therefore, these actions I can live with.

All the Best,

Nani?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:58 pm Reply with quote
abunai:
Quote:
I'm Danish, not Dutch. Apartheid was in South Africa, not the Netherlands.

I know. I was just having fun. P.S. I find it funny that you're still arguing, despite the fact that you said you'd quit.

Quote:
Tell me, what is wrong with my expressing a pious hope that the average American has a higher moral standard than GATSU?

Didn't Hitler and Hirohito's generals also have a "higher moral standard"?

Quote:
True - but that is, I'm afraid, a straw man argument. If you really want to compare that school bus situation to something like the firebombing of Dresden, then you should ask: if a man is about to blow up a busload of school children, is it all right to hold his wife and children hostage, threatening to kill them, if he follows through on his plan?

How about if he blows up the same people from his ethnic
or religious background he's trying to "liberate"?

Quote:
Yes, it's all right to kill our hypothetical schoolbus mass murderer, to stop him - but you leave his family alone.

What if the family is somehow co-operating with his terrorist network?

Quote:
Yes, it's all right to bomb enemy military sites - but you don't bomb civilians.

What do you do if civilians happen to be within the radius of the enemy military sites? Or if civilian centers are where most of the military weapons production goes on?

Quote:
That is correct - but these idealised situations do not match up with the reality of atrocities. The Dresden bombing raid was not targeted at combatants. It had one objective, and that was to terrorize and demoralize the enemy.

Arthur Harris knew this quite well, when he planned the raid. Earlier, I referred to eyewitness accounts of his remark: "We'll Copenhagen them." He knew perfectly well that the sole objective was to bring the enemy to his knees by striking at wives and children.

What kind of war is that? Answer: Not my kind. Anyone who makes war like that has given up all claim to humanity.

There's a difference between making that kind of a war and taking responsibility for that war. When the Japanese can openly speak out about Nanking in Japan, and not in the U.S., then we'll compare.

Quote:
You argue beautifully, yet it seems to me that you are engaged in the same argument that I earlier declined to accept from GATSU, namely that there are degrees of atrocities. That there can be a "lesser" atrocity, which is justified by the moral imperative to avoid a "larger" atrocity.

I cannot accept this. You call it a metric of life, death and freedom. I say that such things cannot be measured in gross numbers. One unjust killing, or a million - it makes no difference. Murder is murder.

I'd love to hear your views on abortion, but then we'd be dragging this thread out even longer than it's already gone. Anyway, you have to recognize that even in the criminal justice system, there are different degrees of murder to help weed out the heartless bastards from the the "wrong place at the wrong time" killers. And the fact of the matter is that motive plays a big factor in the label you apply to the perp. Anyway, as I read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden_in_World_War_II, it mentions the following: It should be noted that the intention of RAF The Air Staff was to destroy communications to hamper evacuation, not to kill the evacuees.Also from
http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/PopTopics/dresden.htm: "In addition to its geographical position and topography and its primary importance as a communications center, Dresden was, in February 1945, known to contain at least 110 factories and industrial enterprises that were legitimate military targets, and were reported to have employed 50,000 workers in arms plants alone.8 Among these were dispersed aircraft components factories; a poison gas factory (Chemische Fabric Goye and Company); an anti-aircraft and field gun factory (Lehman); the great Zeiss Ikon A.G., Germany’s most important optical goods manufactory; and, among others, factories engaged in the production of electrical and X-ray apparatus (Koch and Sterzel A.G.), gears and differentials (Saxoniswerke), and electric gauges (Gebruder Bassler)." Again, being part and parcel of a military-industrial complex will lead to your own demise. Whether or not it's moral to have to suffer the consequences for someone else's regime, your refusal to remove yourself from the gears means you will also be smashed in the process when the machine runs out of steam. Do you feel sorry for the Romans who were trampled by German tribes near the end of their civilization? If not, why do you feel sorry for the Third Reich? They destroyed themselves more than we ever could.

Quote:
A soldier is someone who kills in circumstances which we have generally accepted as "just" (though I have grave personal difficulties with this viewpoint, I accept it as the way of the world). There are rules that govern his killing, rules that are (or ideally should be) inculcated by training, clarified by specific rules of engagement and enforced by a military justice system.

A murderer is someone who kills unjustly, whose killing cannot be morally sanctioned.

You're assuming that the circumstances can always be viewed in black and white, despite the fact that you try to view the perpetrators of the killings in grey. You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
Once you claim that the bombing of Dresden was justified, how will you call the World Trade Center bombing unjustified? Both were actions whose sole purpose was to attack an enemy's civilians, with the intent of terrorizing and demoralizing the enemy.

I think the fact that civilians were used to kill civilians at the WTC is why Dresden pales in comparison. And a lot of "terrorists" are really just poor and uneducated people being exploited by the rich and wealthy to fight their religious wars. I guess you could argue the situation is the same in America right now, but at least our troops actually want to protect civilians.

Quote:
Personally, I think Hitler made a grave mistake with the Blitz. Far from demoralising the British, it fanned their will to fight.

So in the end, it all goes back to Hitler. After all, the British openly made concessions, and still got the short end of the stick.

Quote:
The tribunal that ordered the death of Nicolae Ceasescu, for instance, was a kangaroo court - however guilty he was, he deserved a fair trial.

What about the children he infected with AIDS with unsanitary needles? Ceaucescu didn't give them a fair trial at life.

Quote:
We know that the United States colluded with Japanese war criminals at the Tokyo trials, failing to prosecute them for their crimes, in return for research data on biological warfare.

I don't consider that morally correct, but if they didn't get the information, the Soviets probably would have, and Stalin might've used his own people as "test subjects" if he didn't already.

Quote:
Ask Israel how much safety they've managed to produce for themselves by using the same tactics as their opponents.

Ask their opponents why they keep attacking Israel. [/url]
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Okay. I think we're done here.

PM me if you have any concerns.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12