• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike (movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike (movie)

so this movie has finally been subbed and I'm wondering if anyone checked it out.

i really enjoyed the game and was thrilled to hear that it was getting a movie prequel (though i was hoping for an anime series) after watching i gotta say it was better then expected. it did exactly what it set out to do and tell a story about Yuri's time spent with the knights. it didn't try to do some big story that connected with the plot of the game and there weren't any unnecessary cameos. i also thought the animation was done pretty well especially for the fights (i really enjoyed the fight at the end). overall I'd say they did a good job on expanding the story of the game and showing us the events that made Yuri into the character we see in the game.

if i had to rate it I'd give it an 8/10, was a great movie but a bit slow at parts.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Never played the game, so I'd say the movie alone isn't dependent on whether you played it or not.
I pretty much enjoyed all the characters, except for Flynn since his personality is somewhat like mine (minus all the bad stuff I'd probably be his exact copy).
The story is also interesting. I actually wanted to see more fights against the monsters, but that amount is significant enough, either way.
The plot is well executed and easy to follow. The fantasy elements also were topnotch, and the RPG feeling I got from it was no worse than any I had with any other anime of the same kind.
There were some really funny jokes, too, and I had a few laughs here and there until the story got tense.

Overall this experience definitely made my night.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
one of the things i found interesting was that unlike other tales anime's this one kind of distanced its self from the actual game. didn't see any of the moves from the game and it kind of stayed grounded in a sense of reality rather then going over the top.
Clodus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
one of the things i found interesting was that unlike other tales anime's this one kind of distanced its self from the actual game. didn't see any of the moves from the game and it kind of stayed grounded in a sense of reality rather then going over the top.
Yeah I noticed that as well except for Rita's signature fireball spell. They probably didn't show any artes cause Yuri didn't yet receive his blastia yet. I don't really mind though the fight scenes were still awesome.

I'm a big fan of the game. Still kinda mad they skimped out with the content of the incomplete Xbox version and didn't bother to bring over the completed PS3 version. Anyone who would like to try the tales series, Vesperia is a good start since its often called the best jrpg on xbox360.
Production I.G animated this movie as well as the cutscenes in the game. Visuals were top notch. Everything from the backgrounds to the smooth transitions of combat were all really well done.

I really liked all the small references they had such as cameo appearances from the characters but their roles in the movie would be awkward for anyone who didn't play the game.spoiler[Like Raven who sneaks around and has some dialogue with the guild boss which didn't really make sense unless you had some background info.]I especially liked Rita's scene which captured her character nicely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
Just finished this up. I've never played the game before and know nothing of the plot so this was an interesting one for me. Dug this one quite a bit and thought it was paced out rather well. I liked all of the characters sans Flynn who still managed to redeem himself a little for me by the end. Its one of the better anime I've seen based on a video game. May have to check out the game if its anywhere near as good.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I loved the game and was a bit hesitant to watch this (let's face it, game to movie/tv/etc. adaptions often suck...badly). However I was quite pleased with it overall. A bit slow in parts, yes, but I whatever. It got done what I think it set out to do; show how the characters became the characters they were in the game. Yuri, obviously, in particular.
Viorexx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
i never played the game and dont really know the story that well.
will there will be a second movie.
it seems there is more to the story that can be made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1