• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Lists Media Blasters as Dissolved as of April 2011

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yes, the article made clear it was a dire situation. Would it didn't make clear was the possibility that it was something that could be rectified somewhat easily.

Wow, I wonder how many times I'm going to have to make that point?

At that point it isn't really news though.

Going 'This is a problem.... but they can fix it' is throwing a persons opinion into the matter, and not even their opinion, but theorizing on things that they have no knowledge of.

What would be next? "Bandai Entertainment still exists... maybe they could nab new Gundam series... when it's announced"

They posted the facts as they existed, and attempted to contact the company. They did what they were supposed to do, and what was right.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
MarcFBR wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Yes, the article made clear it was a dire situation. Would it didn't make clear was the possibility that it was something that could be rectified somewhat easily.

Going 'This is a problem.... but they can fix it' is throwing a persons opinion into the matter, and not even their opinion, but theorizing on things that they have no knowledge of.

What would be next? "Bandai Entertainment still exists... maybe they could nab new Gundam series... when it's announced"

They posted the facts as they existed, and attempted to contact the company. They did what they were supposed to do, and what was right.

No, they didn't. They left me with the impression that Media Blasters was in serious shit. Which may, in fact, be true. What they did not inform me about was that there could be a relatively straight-forward fix. I don't believe ANN did this deliberately. I believe it was an honest oversight. But it is an oversight.

People keep on repeating, "but it was all factual." I'm not disputing that. I'm saying FOR THE 1 MILLIONTH TIME that I like a little bit of contextual background with my facts so that I can make a more informed judgement on the factual information that has been presented to me. Such an incredibly simple point yet somehow it eludes some of you. Weird.
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
People keep on repeating, "but it was all factual." I'm not disputing that. I'm saying FOR THE 1 MILLIONTH TIME that I like a little bit of contextual background with my facts so that I can make a more informed judgement on the factual information that has been presented to me. Such an incredibly simple point yet somehow it eludes some of you. Weird.

I think you are missing the point.

We GET what you are saying. We are disagreeing. It isn't their job to theorize on the news.

As a theoretical example.

Bandai Entertainment is not closed. They are still selling product and trying to get it on TV and sell it digitally. This is a fact.

If they are successful, they could easily decide to license new content. That is a potential goal of what they are doing. But we don't know this. I'm just inferring it from the general goal of any company not wanting to go out of business.

But it isn't, and shouldn't be, ANNs job to theorize on that point.

That's what we as fans do. The reason I (and I'll guess quite a few others) like ANN for news, is we get the news regarding the anime industry. We don't get people's own personal theories tossed in the news articles, that is what their features and articles are for.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm not asking ANN to theorize about MB at all. I'm asking them to provide with me a little general background information on corporation dissolution in the state of New York that would help me put the facts they presented in a better context. ANN helpfully told me what dissolution is and that there are substantial penalties involved. What ANN didn't tell me is that there are ways to mitigate/undo dissolution that are (apparently) pretty straightforward. That would have been helpful to know. They could have provided me with that without talking to MB and without theorizing/speculating on what MB was doing.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that the only thing that really matters, here, is that MB is not going out of business, is in the process of resolving their issues with the State of New York, and and does indeed plan to continue to license and release anime.

Since I have several MB titles, and have never had issues with them, I think that's a good thing.

Everything else in this thread is argument for the sake of argument, which tends to be circular in nature, and doesn't get anybody anywhere.

There was a miscommunication. It sucks, neither party was happy about it, but it happens, that's life. The article has been ammended to include MB's statement, as is proper. It's done, and no amount of bellyaching is going to make it undone.

Chris is the boss here, and he's stated that he's satisfied with ANN's editorial policy. That's pretty much the end of the story folks. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to come here.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not asking ANN to theorize about MB at all. I'm asking them to provide with me a little general background information on corporation dissolution in the state of New York that would help me put the facts they presented in a better context. ANN helpfully told me what dissolution is and that there are substantial penalties involved. What ANN didn't tell me is that there are ways to mitigate/undo dissolution that are (apparently) pretty straightforward. That would have been helpful to know. They could have provided me with that without talking to MB and without theorizing/speculating on what MB was doing.

That's fine with me if you're just saying they could have done this to enhance the story. If you're saying they were wrong not to include that information...no. I don't agree. Not including this info made the story, at worst, somewhat ambiguous. It didn't make it misleading.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
MarcFBR wrote:
Blood- wrote:

No, they didn't. They left me with the impression that Media Blasters was in serious shit. Which may, in fact, be true. What they did not inform me about was that there could be a relatively straight-forward fix. I don't believe ANN did this deliberately. I believe it was an honest oversight. But it is an oversight.

Would you please stop your soapboxing about the perceived lack of journalistic standards by ANN. It's getting quite wearisome.
DragonSyde

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Would you please stop your soapboxing about the perceived lack of journalistic standards by ANN. It's getting quite wearisome.

That coming from a person who criticizes a lot of things and constantly trolls.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Blood- wrote:

That's fine with me if you're just saying they could have done this to enhance the story. If you're saying they were wrong not to include that information...no. I don't agree. Not including this info made the story, at worst, somewhat ambiguous. It didn't make it misleading.

In your opinion. In my opinion it was misleading. It lead me to conclude something about Media Blasters that may not be true. Isn't that the very definition of misleading? Again, I don't think this was deliberate. I believe it to be an honest oversight.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I think I would have liked a short editorial analysis of the implications of the story. Just how big a problem this is for Media Blasters is a little opaque from the straight reporting alone. It's easy to overreact to news like this, especially after the January massacre of Media Blasters' staff and the repeated delays of releases, so something extra to put it in context might have been helpful.

What I'd really like to know is more about the allegations that competitors had been spreading this information at TAF, presumably to hurt Media Blasters' prospects.

The 'failure to communicate' that led to this running without comment from Media Blasters is weird. The cynical guess is that they hoped to indefinitely delay this report by not acknowledging the requests or to set a way to discredit ANN up by denying that ANN tried to contact them. The forgiving guess is that the CEO and CFO were away from their offices all week and the CFO didn't have time to check his e-mail. That's hard for me to buy.

That the message to the CEO bounced doesn't override the fact the voice mail and successful e-mail. I'm not really sure where one could find a working address for the CEO. I don't see much else that Tempest could reasonably been expected to do. Maybe send a letter? Try contacting him through FaceBook? I'm not sure that much of the obligation was on ANN's side. At some point it becomes effectively deferring some editorial control to the subject of the story.

I also don't think that ANN did this out of pettiness or as some act of yellow journalism. Posting this story potentially hurts a part of the industry that gives ANN reason to exist and risks burning a bridge. (I certainly don't expect John Sirabella to be on ANNCast any time soon) I doubt that the news staff reported it lightly.

I don't think that anybody here wants Media Blasters to fail. Well, maybe that one weirdo who wanted vengeance for their not releasing Sayonara, Zetsubo Sensei and maybe a few don't care. But I'm certainly interested in the Blu-ray edition of Kite and perhaps a few other things.

DragonSyde wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

That coming from a person who criticizes a lot of things and trolls.

He's probably just making insincere complaints because he's bitter about Blood- recently criticizing his behavior.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat May 05, 2012 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It didn't make it misleading.

The information contained within the article is clearly one sided, and offers no further information on rectifying information based on the very NY laws cited.

Unless, of course, it's just one hell of a coincidence only the aspects of running a business in dissolution was the only thing available.

Quote:
A New York corporation dissolved by the Secretary of State pursuant to the provisions of Article 9 Section 203-a of the New York State Tax Law, may be reinstated by filing with the Secretary of State a Certificate of Payment of Taxes issued by the Department of Taxation and Finance.

Huh.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
DragonSyde wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

That coming from a person who criticizes a lot of things and trolls.

He's probably just making insincere complaints because he's bitter Blood- recently criticizing his behavior.

Let he with no sin be the first to cast a stone... Wink
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
In your opinion. In my opinion it was misleading.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion here, whatever it may be. However, I don't think the facts support it.

Quote:
It lead me to conclude something about Media Blasters that may not be true. Isn't that the very definition of misleading?

I didn't lead me to that conclusion. I read it and concluded exactly what it said: That MB had failed to pay or file their taxes and had therefore been legally dissolved in New York. If you chose to read the article and assume this was irreversible...well sorry but it sounds like you jumped to an unsubstantiated conclusion. Not that it's a big deal or anything. I'm not criticizing you. I just don't think you should blame ANN.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:11 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Blood- wrote:
In your opinion. In my opinion it was misleading.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion here, whatever it may be. However, I don't think the facts support it.

Quote:
It lead me to conclude something about Media Blasters that may not be true. Isn't that the very definition of misleading?

I didn't lead me to that conclusion. I read it and concluded exactly what it said: That MB had failed to pay or file their taxes and had therefore been legally dissolved in New York. If you chose to read the article and assume this was irreversible...well sorry but it sounds like you jumped to an unsubstantiated conclusion. Not that it's a big deal or anything. I'm not criticizing you. I just don't think you should blame ANN.

Yeah, the facts do support my opinion. Relevant information is not there, that's obvious. Other people have expressed the same thought. The fact you don't feel that way doesn't change anything, it simply means you personally don't feel that the missing information is relevant. An opinion that you are of course welcome to but one that I don't share.

I could be wrong, but if ANN had a chance to "do over" or if a similar situation came up in the future, I believe they would provide more background information for clarity. They have seen how several people were mislead by their article into thinking MB was seriously effed (which, of course, it may be) and I believe that because this was not intentional and because they have professional pride, they will strive to avoid this in the future.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
In your opinion. In my opinion it was misleading. It lead me to conclude something about Media Blasters that may not be true. Isn't that the very definition of misleading? ...

If a combination of correct information and false assumptions leads to a false conclusion, some people would lay the fault at the feet of the false assumptions rather than at the feet of the correct information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14