• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Korean Protests Call for Hetalia Anime's Cancellation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Just think what would have happened had they decided to make the Korea caricature have traits in common with Kim Jong Il...
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
If any ANN staff are still watching this thread, could you potentially provide any sources on this? Where did this 10,000 number come from? No other reports I've seen on the protests say anything like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
For those of you who don't understand the hostility and resentment that Korea feels towards Japan, consider yourselves lucky. Imagine if an invading country kidnapped your sisters to become sex slaves, viciously tortured and/or killed anyone who tried to resist the invasion, and then attempted to erase the existence of your culture and force your children to assimilate into theirs as 2nd class citizens. Do you really think it be that easy to "just get over it?"

Today, I think only Jews, Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, and African Americans can really understand the "touchiness" Korea has when it comes to dealing with Japan. I wish relations were better between Japan and other Asian countries but it's not going to happen in this generation.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I remember one strip where Japan was depicted basically betraying and murdering China with zero provacation. Does that make up for it?
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Of course both this news article and Yomiuri Shinbun fails to mention their sources. From other sources it seems like that yes, some people in Korea are protesting about the show but apparently they're mostly right-wing nationalist netizens, and some people are blowing this way out of proportion.

Probably the same net geeks that were hyping Dragon Wars so heavily.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
If this is going to potentially piss off so many people, is it really worth it to even release it with the possible backlash? The subject matter is touchy and could potentially irritate just about anyone.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
As far as I can see, Hetalia is an amusing little manga that pokes fun at everyone and everything and if you don't like it, don't look at. Seriously, you can't sue everything you don't like unless it is actually harmful to you, but really, 10,000 people? There are 10,000 people in Korea that have seen Hetalia and decided they dislike it so much they don't want anyone else to ever see it? That's just sad...
malik_chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
malik_chan wrote:
Maryohki wrote:
Dear Korea, please get over yourselves. Hetalia is potentially insulting to EVERYONE. It's supposed to be fun, and if you're capable of taking a joke, then it IS fun. America in Hetalia is portrayed as a hamburger-obsessed, idealistic dork that hardly anyone genuinely likes. And I laugh at Alfred F. Jones plenty. He's hilarious, and frequently accurate. And I am American.

If this Korean protest works, I will be furious. I really hope it's ignored...but after that stuff with JoJo's from the Muslims, I must admit I'm worried.

This may be so, but for some of us who don't like it, it's hard to turn WWII events into something fun and cutesy when, I dunno, there was a lot of serious crap going down then. It's hard to separate the real the historical events leading up to and that were during WWII to take it lightly. Of course, this must be because myself and others can't take a joke.

...Have you even read Hetalia? It's not like WWII is the only historical topic discussed in the series. Also, Hetalia may poke fun at things, but it doesn't poke fun at ANY of the war atrocities as far as I've seen, but rather stupid decisions made by the different countries. Not to mention, it's not like all Hetalia does is joke around. It makes the events associated with APH just that much more meaningful, because you can really get attached to the characters.

Also, what I really admire about Hetalia is that it doesn't completely glorify OR villainize any one side for any of the wars that take place. It doesn't try to say that Germany is some kind of monster due to what happened (which the country isn't. Hitler, yes, but Germany? No. And Hetalia Germany is not the same thing as Hitler), and it doesn't try to make America out to be cruel and evil to Japanese people, either (actually, APH Japan and America get along pretty well in later events). Even from things looked at entirely from one country's POV, like the Polish-Swedish wars, Poland was not treated as a bad person; just someone Sweden was currently at odds with.

Ugh, I say this enough on Fandom Secrets.

I know you would attack me for not liking it. I'm sorry, but when I think WWII, I don't think cutesy bishounen and I just don't like it. I know Hetalia does not make fun of any of the crap that went down, but I don't take anything pertaining to WWII lightly. Don't even bother convincing me to like it. You like it, I don't. No reason to get worked up about me explaining my side.
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:
For those of you who don't understand the hostility and resentment that Korea feels towards Japan, consider yourselves lucky. Imagine if an invading country kidnapped your sisters to become sex slaves, viciously tortured and/or killed anyone who tried to resist the invasion, and then attempted to erase the existence of your culture and force your children to assimilate into theirs as 2nd class citizens. Do you really think it be that easy to "just get over it?"

And you do?
Unless you were alive at that time, you really don't have a right to claim any deeper level of understanding something so far beyond your lifetime. Even if you want to pretend you do, the fact of the matter is that the anime doesn't even have a Korean depicting character. The protests are over some imaginary point of controversy, the anime doesn't even delve into. Unless the protesters want the return of the Korean stereotype; I'm mildly curious to see how/why some Koreans are demanding special treatment for this.

And honestly, what right does (should) one country have over the casting choices of another country's domestic television broadcasts?
kagcd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
If any ANN staff are still watching this thread, could you potentially provide any sources on this? Where did this 10,000 number come from? No other reports I've seen on the protests say anything like that.

http://agora.media.daum.net/petition/view?id=65659
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Oh, please. 'Cancel the anime because there are no Koreans." Give me a break. I doubt, very much, that the anime will stop. What about Americans? There are no Americans in the anime so yeah, they should end the series because there are no Americans ... maybe if they stopped pirating anime and God knows whatever else then they would have a right to complain.

Someone didn't read the article before posting. Koreans were protesting because of a caricature of Koreans is in the manga, and they feared he'd be in the anime. The Japanese Studio said that character does not appear in the anime, so there is nothing for Korea to worry about. They weren't protesting for lack of Koreans in the anime. And from what the comments in this thread say, there actually is an American in the anime, since he was also in the manga. Apparently the American caricature would also be insulting if Americans weren't so used to the caricature from the rest of the world already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Did the creators of this property ever stop to think how many toes they'd be crushing by going ahead with the project?
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
Maryohki wrote:
malik_chan wrote:
Maryohki wrote:
Dear Korea, please get over yourselves. Hetalia is potentially insulting to EVERYONE. It's supposed to be fun, and if you're capable of taking a joke, then it IS fun. America in Hetalia is portrayed as a hamburger-obsessed, idealistic dork that hardly anyone genuinely likes. And I laugh at Alfred F. Jones plenty. He's hilarious, and frequently accurate. And I am American.

If this Korean protest works, I will be furious. I really hope it's ignored...but after that stuff with JoJo's from the Muslims, I must admit I'm worried.

This may be so, but for some of us who don't like it, it's hard to turn WWII events into something fun and cutesy when, I dunno, there was a lot of serious crap going down then. It's hard to separate the real the historical events leading up to and that were during WWII to take it lightly. Of course, this must be because myself and others can't take a joke.

...Have you even read Hetalia? It's not like WWII is the only historical topic discussed in the series. Also, Hetalia may poke fun at things, but it doesn't poke fun at ANY of the war atrocities as far as I've seen, but rather stupid decisions made by the different countries. Not to mention, it's not like all Hetalia does is joke around. It makes the events associated with APH just that much more meaningful, because you can really get attached to the characters.

Also, what I really admire about Hetalia is that it doesn't completely glorify OR villainize any one side for any of the wars that take place. It doesn't try to say that Germany is some kind of monster due to what happened (which the country isn't. Hitler, yes, but Germany? No. And Hetalia Germany is not the same thing as Hitler), and it doesn't try to make America out to be cruel and evil to Japanese people, either (actually, APH Japan and America get along pretty well in later events). Even from things looked at entirely from one country's POV, like the Polish-Swedish wars, Poland was not treated as a bad person; just someone Sweden was currently at odds with.

Ugh, I say this enough on Fandom Secrets.

I know you would attack me for not liking it. I'm sorry, but when I think WWII, I don't think cutesy bishounen and I just don't like it. I know Hetalia does not make fun of any of the crap that went down, but I don't take anything pertaining to WWII lightly. Don't even bother convincing me to like it. You like it, I don't. No reason to get worked up about me explaining my side.

I have no problem with you not liking it. My point is that, like it or not, if you've never even read any of it, you really don't have an informed opinion. And "attack"? I did not attack you. I pointed out the flaws in your argument. And "worked up"? Again, just pointing out the flaws in your argument.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
yojimboray wrote:

And you do?
Unless you were alive at that time, you really don't have a right to claim any deeper level of understanding something so far beyond your lifetime. Even if you want to pretend you do, the fact of the matter is that the anime doesn't even have a Korean depicting character. The protests are over some imaginary point of controversy, the anime doesn't even delve into. Unless the protesters want the return of the Korean stereotype; I'm mildly curious to see how/why some Koreans are demanding special treatment for this.

And honestly, what right does (should) one country have over the casting choices of another country's domestic television broadcasts?

Try not to be so closed-minded. There are things called books, magazines, newspapers, and eyewitness that have helped me to have at least some understanding of some of what happened back then. To provide an example, my grandparents are both fluent in Japanese because of the "re-education" program back then. I sincerely hope you're not one of those people who also can't believe that the Holocaust was as bad as people say because you weren't able to see it firsthand.

As for the 2nd part of your post, Korea is simply exercising its right to protest. Although, like many of you, I too believe this is an incredibly trivial matter to warrant this kind of attention, the tone and words from coming from some of you guys are pretty ignorant.

Lastly, I am a Japanophile, but I feel you can't just blindly and wholeheartedly take its side on any and every issue simply because you appreciate the country.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Brilliant! What better way to cover up Japanese atrocities during World War II than to create a comedy comic and tv cartoon turing the countries into pretty boy characters. Forget the thousands of women who were kidnapped by imperial Japan and forced to be comfort women to the army. Let's just look at the adorable gay sexual situation between the Japanese and Korean characters.

Joking aside, yeah, I wasn't thinking about how some of Japan's actions in WWII are still somewhat glossed over there. Didn't even the new PM Aso sly infer that the historical accounts of the Korean atrocities were not accurate? I remember reading about this and writing a short paper on this for an East Asian studies class. I didn't know much about it until then.

Funny. I heard about this manga and the anime from a friend who was a fan. I thought it was oddly funny. On second thought, it actually is pretty disturbing.

I really didn't think about this too much. What's next? The German pretty boy character bullying the Jewish character, but it should be taken as cute because they're really in love with each other? The American character locking up the Japanese American character in bondage? Oh yeah. Hot. Not that there are such characters, but is this really the best material to make shonen ai comedy out of? I'm not for political correctness, but too often I see Japan not giving a crap about this stuff. I really can't blame Koreans for complaining. If Japan was more open about its past, maybe such a comedy would be more acceptable.

I must confess. When I visited Japan, I bought a bizarre magazine / manga that featured bishojo girls as WWII battleships, planes and military forces. They even had cutsey bishojo girls as Stalin, Hitler, FDR, etc. It was so culturally bizzare I needed a copy.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10