• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: May'n

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You watch a bit of anime and you've said that you really like Accel World (which you sing the OP for);

One of the many reasons why I watch the series Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TRUE ORDER

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I love May'n since she started to sing as Sheryl, her voice is awesome and her live are top notch. I hope the best for her in the coming years!

Stark700 wrote:
Quote:
You watch a bit of anime and you've said that you really like Accel World (which you sing the OP for);

One of the many reasons why I watch the series Razz

Same here!
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
A nice interview with May'n. I see on iTunes that her newer albums, including Heat are showing up now. However, a few of the songs from Heat are missing. I wonder why that is.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But since I met Yoko Kanno and worked on Macross Frontier, I realized that my voice sounds better with rock music.

I'm so glad she realized this. I went and listened to her older stuff back in 2008 after she "Debuted" as Sheryl...and it was pretty bland R&B kinda stuff. Very bad for her voice compared to rock/pop. Such a great voice and I liked nearly every song on the new album. Really wish I could see her live in Cali but alas I live in the Midwest where no one even realizes us Asians (and fans of Asian lifestyles) exist except ourselves.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
But since I met Yoko Kanno and worked on Macross Frontier, I realized that my voice sounds better with rock music.

I'm so glad she realized this. I went and listened to her older stuff back in 2008 after she "Debuted" as Sheryl...and it was pretty bland R&B kinda stuff. Very bad for her voice compared to rock/pop.

Most Asian voices aren't suited for R&B.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
I saw her live during the Nico Chou Kaigi... She also MC'ed the first half of the concert... Pretty good! She performed the Accel World OP live.

Seems like one of the people who deserve what she's got.

Actually, during the same concert Milky Holmes and the Yuyuri group performed, and I've gotta say those girls clearly work damn hard. I'm pretty dismissive of that kind of ... pandering ... groups, but you gotta give props to the members themselves and how hard they must work going around doing concerts nearly every day.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I saw her live during the Nico Chou Kaigi... She also MC'ed the first half of the concert... Pretty good! She performed the Accel World OP live.

Seems like one of the people who deserve what she's got.

Actually, during the same concert Milky Holmes and the Yuyuri group performed, and I've gotta say those girls clearly work damn hard. I'm pretty dismissive of that kind of ... pandering ... groups, but you gotta give props to the members themselves and how hard they must work going around doing concerts nearly every day.

If you've ever watched Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, you'd see how hard he worked to get where he is now too. Laughing
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
Why is she dancing in the Illusive Man's room?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
moshi-moshi

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Another bland - I love my fans - interview. If Japanese PR machine does not allow for performers personality to shine through, then what's the point? May as well have a template and enter occasional singer/seiyuu/mangaka name in.
tmsidr

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
moshi-moshi wrote:
Another bland - I love my fans - interview. If Japanese PR machine does not allow for performers personality to shine through, then what's the point? May as well have a template and enter occasional singer/seiyuu/mangaka name in.

She gave a concert at the convention Connichi in Germany (which was really great) but the panel she gave there was quite similar. I also think that's a very sad that they can't show their personality "in public".
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Why is she dancing in the Illusive Man's room?

Its a covert Cerebus recruiting video.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
Oh snap she comin to Yoshi's, I might have to take a shot at this lovely!
ryofurue

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
tmsidr wrote:
moshi-moshi wrote:
She gave a concert at the convention Connichi in Germany (which was really great) but the panel she gave there was quite similar. I also think that's a very sad that they can't show their personality "in public".
Sadly, that's a fault of the (Japanese) public. The "PR machine" is simply responding to the public reaction. If a performer says something interesting, there will be people who (intentionally or unintentionally) misunderstand it and say bad things about it. It's more important (at least in Japan) to avoid such bad publicity than to convey personality. The management team of a performer is rightly cautious, extremely cautious, about negative publicity, which is quite damaging, at least in Japan.

Cheers,
Ryo
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1