• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Plans to Release Magical Doremi in 2005

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linlinchan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:01 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Zac wrote:
Awesome. I can't wait until fanboys start an e-petition to "save" Magical Doremi, a show aimed squarely at 6-year old Japanese girls, from the "evil" 4kids.

Maybe there's an episode about Doremi's friend whose hamster dies, and that means the show is "adult" because it deals with "dark themes like death". Maybe there's another where the villain steamrolls a playground or something and that's super violent which means the creator meant for the show to be watched by MATURE ADULTS and 4kids is going to have to cut that out thereby BEFOULING THE SANCTITY of this 200-episode Japanese toy commercial for grade schoolers.

Let the stupidity commence!

Agreed, has anyone actually seen Doremi? This show is aimed squarely at the 6-9 year old girl audience. Think of this as trying to capitalize on the Harry Potter phenom.

This would like 4kids releasing something like Dora The Explorer with some people clamoring for uncut DVDs.

You know what, though, Doremi is really good. I've seen the whole first season, half of the second and parts of the others... I really think it's a great show that EVERYONE can watch.

I'm so glad about this, you have no idea. I'm just happy that I'll FINALLY be able to get DVD's for a reasonable price when they come out here. This is really a dream come true.
UltraManiac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:36 am Reply with quote
I seen the first half of the first season and what I think is the 4th or 5th season of it (called Ojamajo Doremi Naisho). I like the rod which has the little balls in it and disappear one by one when you use magic.

* since you know that I am a witch, you turned me into a cute little animal/monster, and for that I will turn you into a witch *

Razz Laughing Smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:55 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
And is it just me, or are they bringing this out to compete with Jetix's W.I.T.C.H.?

Nah, they've already got the Winx Club for that. I'm sure it's no coincidence that the W.I.T.C.H. website is www.clubwitch.com . I mean, they're both shows about the same 5 stereotypical girls who are a part of a club where they trun into faries with magical powers, how can they not compete?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I had forgotten about this when I posted the news article:

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4248

Fortunately John at Anime Nation remebered.
chibixane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Agreed, has anyone actually seen Doremi? This show is aimed squarely at the 6-9 year old girl audience. Think of this as trying to capitalize on the Harry Potter phenom.

This would like 4kids releasing something like Dora The Explorer with some people clamoring for uncut DVDs.

I *love* Doremi! I have half of the first season on DVD and have collected the trading cards for a few years now. This is a summary I wrote for a trading cards mailing list:

"Ojamajo Doremi is a cute shoujo anime that began to air in 1999. It's about an elementary school girl who discovers and visits "Makihataya Rika's Magic Shop" one day. As she's looking at charms, she begins to get creepy vibes from the owner and remembers information about witches that she read in a book earlier that day. Doremi tells her she's a witch and Majorika shrinks into a little green blob! Doremi is instantly made a witch-in-training to help restore Majorika to her human form and brings her friends and little sister into the witch world over time. Doremi and her friends have to complete many tasks and tests to get more magic beads, gain their own fairy counterparts, and progress to the next magical levels. There are four seasons (Ojamajo Doremi, Sharp, Mot~to, Dok~kan) and "Naisho," a new 13-part OAV that is currently being released on Japanese Sky Perfect TV (a pay-per-view station) and on DVD."

I'm so glad other people will have a chance to see this series. This show is not just for kids and appeals to everyone! There are a few Ojamajo Doremi conventions in Japan every year and from the pictures I've seen, there aren't a whole lot of kids there. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Some of the trading cards also go up to $50 - $100+ and I'm sure little kids aren't buying those.

I do worry about what is going to be done to some of the episodes, though. In one episode, Hazuki hops right into a car with kidnappers! There are instances where death, divorce, relationships, drinking, and gambling are talked about or pictured. The reason some people get freaked out over this is because the North American cartoon industry has termed these things "adult" and ruthlessly wiped them out from other shows. I and other fans just want to see Doremi left relatively intact so people can enjoy it the way it was meant to be. Smile
utawoutau

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:32 am Reply with quote
I too have seen Doremi and I really enjoy it. I believe that its a show that you could only really hate if its the kind of show you would have never watched in the first place. That being said, I have very little faith that the dub will be watchable, due to what I percieve to be a general lack of American voice actors that can play children without being ear-piercingly annoying.

The show has its own unique art style, and is very simply cute and charming. My personal favorite part of the series is the second season - when the girls are tasked with taking care of Hana.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:42 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
That being said, I have very little faith that the dub will be watchable, due to what I percieve to be a general lack of American voice actors that can play children without being ear-piercingly annoying.

I think that's probably more a linguistic issue than anything else.

Anyway, let's take a quick survey (as in look) of the female roleplayers that 4Kids has on their roster and how they could do (COMPLETELY OPINIONATED BASED ON PREVIOUS ROLES).

-Amy Birnbaum: She was Umi in the Rayearth OVA, so that might help out.
-Erica Schroeder: Jury's out on her, but if her part as the DMG is any indication, then we'd best stay away.
-Kayzie Rogers: Probably a stretch.
-Kerry Williams: Yeah, she's high-pitched.
-Lisa Ortiz: Heck, she couold probably move mountains. Count her in.
-Megan Hollingshead: Probably another stretch.
-Tara Jayne: I'm sure she's up to it.
-Veronica Taylor: According to ANN, she's May. Then I don't doubt she'd be able to pull it off.
-Rachael Lillis: You might sound too perky, but any port in a storm, right?

Well, according to my count, that's at about half a dozen, but that's a quick survey. Heaven forbid they go out and get some more talent as FUNimation seemed to have done.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Awesome. I can't wait until fanboys start an e-petition to "save" Magical Doremi, a show aimed squarely at 6-year old Japanese girls, from the "evil" 4kids.

Maybe there's an episode about Doremi's friend whose hamster dies, and that means the show is "adult" because it deals with "dark themes like death". Maybe there's another where the villain steamrolls a playground or something and that's super violent which means the creator meant for the show to be watched by MATURE ADULTS and 4kids is going to have to cut that out thereby BEFOULING THE SANCTITY of this 200-episode Japanese toy commercial for grade schoolers.

Yes, because any show not filled with giant mecha, exploding body parts and gratuitous sex is automatically kiddiefied garbage, right, o mature one? Rolling Eyes

It doesn't matter how mature a show is. Changing a creator's work is wrong, period. Doremi is a fun, sunshiney, hopelessly cute and sometimes insanly funny little show that plays like a cross between Sailormoon and Harry Potter. It's not the next Eva, it's not going to change the world, but it is very good for what it is, and just because it's aimed at kids doesen't mean it's ONLY for kids. I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you hate "kids" anime, then you'd better start watching nothing but hentai, because practically all non-hentai anime is aimed at kids. Even the stuff on Adult Swim was aimed at 12-16 year olds in Japan (or in the case of Conan, even younger). But there's a difference between "aimed at" and "intended for." Most anime is intended to be enjoyed by almost anyone. It's why it's so popular in the first place.
greatfire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
What makes Magical Doremi unique from the other magical girl shows?

The secondary characters, especially the girl's classmates.
They weren't just random people that appeared sometimes in the background and they were lucky if they were even named. Every secondary character got, at least, one episode for their own problems and relationships.
This can be seen as a way to extend the length of the series, and it was, but the side stories were done with a similar amount of effort as the main plot line, so their quality were, usually, very high.

Zac wrote:
Maybe there's an episode about Doremi's friend whose hamster dies, and that means the show is "adult" because it deals with "dark themes like death".

It was spoiler[a friend's dog.] Smile
More seriously, he is right. While at the beginning the series was very light-themed, as the series advanced some serious stories appeared and they could be very hard to understand by young kids.
Some episodes of the third season are very serious and not suitable for kids under 8 and those under 12 should view them accompanied by an adult.

The main problem about this series is that it is very japanese, not only the names and driving in the left side (that could be easily changed), there are many episodes in which the charactes show typical japanese behaviour: being without shoes inside houses, going to festivals wearing kimonos (well, yukatas really), references to japanese places (while the town of Misora is fictional, one of the main character is from Osaka), and many other little things, and some not so little:
spoiler[In the third season appeared a girl which lived in New York for several years so she didn't spoke japanese very well and used a lot of english. In other countries this is solved by leaving those phrases in english and dubbing only the japanese ones, but, how are they going to do it when the series is entirely dubbed in english?]
The translators have a hard job ahead if they want to conceal that the series have a japanese setting, but I am sure that kids from the USA must be protected from the fact that there are another countries in the world with different customs and foods (I still don't understand why Rice Balls are banned in the USA, BTW).
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Yes, because any show not filled with giant mecha, exploding body parts and gratuitous sex is automatically kiddiefied garbage, right, o mature one? Rolling Eyes

Missing what someone was saying by a wide margin is fun, isn't it?

Wyvern wrote:
Even the stuff on Adult Swim was aimed at 12-16 year olds in Japan (or in the case of Conan, even younger).

Trigun was. Bebop wasn't. Full Metal Alchemist was aimed at younger. Big O was aimed at a slight bit older.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

HAHA that's awesome.

how long til Licca Chan gets licensed?
Serenydi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:08 am Reply with quote
ugh. I just hate how they decided to call TMM "Mew Mew Power". its just so lame. i mean really, whats wrong with calling it Tokyo Mew Mew? its WAY better in my opinion. and the theme song is so fun! i have it on my iTunes and sing along all the time, then i heard about them calling it Mew Mew Power..... i rant to much.... oh well. Razz what to do with a person whos on her comp. to much and has over thousands of dollars worth of anime and manga in her room. sigh. the life of a hardcore otaku... no money.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:58 am Reply with quote
Serenydi wrote:
ugh. I just hate how they decided to call TMM "Mew Mew Power". its just so lame. i mean really, whats wrong with calling it Tokyo Mew Mew? its WAY better in my opinion. and the theme song is so fun! i have it on my iTunes and sing along all the time, then i heard about them calling it Mew Mew Power..... i rant to much.... oh well. Razz what to do with a person whos on her comp. to much and has over thousands of dollars worth of anime and manga in her room. sigh. the life of a hardcore otaku... no money.

Wait, you mea-- wha- wait, what does this have to do with the topic at hand?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:01 am Reply with quote
Serenydi wrote:

4Kids did that because they wanted to remove any reference to Japan in the anime, even going so far to edit out Tokyo Tower. 4Kids' CEO thinks kids are too stupid to know what Japan is. More than likely, 4Kids will do the same with Magical Doremi and remove any culturelness from the anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:03 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
4Kids' CEO thinks kids are too stupid to know what Japan is.

Two words:

Shaman
King

Yes, they changed a couple of names here and there, but they left in far more than most shows in recent history have.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3