• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Parasyte

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I've never read "Parasyte" so I can't comment on it. Somehow,I'm not surprised of an attempt to make a Japanese-U.S. movie. It sounds like a good idea but it seems too bloody for me. I don't think I'd read this manga or see the movie.
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite manga released here in the U.S. It's a long shot, but I'd love Kodansha USA forever if they released Historie here.

Jason Thompson wrote:
Ultimately, it seems, Iwaaki just wasn't that interested in the sci-fi nitty-gritty aspect of the series (or maybe he liked keeping the mystery), and there will never be a Parasyte 2 where the heroes break into the lab that was making the Parasytes and confront the mad scientist and figure out what was going on.

And the series is all the better for it!

As you more or less mention, it's never particularly melodramatic, but there's a lot of genuine heart that's missing from a lot of sci-fi works (and manga in general). The ideas surrounding species hierarchy are far from evolutionary, but I remember being struck by the different and evolving points of views on the subject. It's the nuances to the questions, and how they come about organically from the characters (Shinichi, Migi, Ryoko, etc.) that make it such an intelligent and compelling series.

I'm also not sure how much Iwaaki actually plans ahead - I swear he mentions in one of the Q&A that he didn't expect Parasyte to go for as long as it did - but I feel he's one of the best writers in the manga industry. His writing is very thorough in explaining the consequences of characters' actions and their placement in the narrative (and it's not always obvious, either).

I also agree with those that say the origin of the Parasytes is a non-issue. Any explanation - explicit or otherwise - would be irrelevant to the narrative. Iwaaki's explanation, if included in the actual story, would have introduced spoiler[some interesting ideas about government/scientific engineering,] but that conspiratorial aspect would only have overstuffed the story, and might have be redundant with some of the criticisms of human arrogance.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
While I never read this myself, I remember seeing it in Borders all the time back in the day, and I always had to pick one up and just thumb through it because of the weird covers. I still remember a particularly amusing scene in which this "woman" is standing there and goes "I'm an airhead!" while pulling her head in two (complete with *pop* sound effect). She then proceeds to run down the street laughing, her head still split in two, as people (one person?) looked on. My friend and I got a kick out of that one.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
man, 1990? I had no idea this manga was that old, for some reason that really surprises me

anyway I've been meaning to read this series for ages, I need to get on that soon
Takokujin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Oriana3k wrote:
I just went on Amazon to check prices for the volumes, and it looks like Kodansha Comics did a stealth rerelease of the first four volumes a year ago, with the next three scheduled for next August (I don't see a new listing for volume 8). It's great news for anyone needing the OOP volume 7, but wow. I'm feeling kinda blindsided - I hadn't seen or heard any publicity for those releases at all. They aren't even listed on the Kodansha Comics site. Confused

oh man you just made my day, i really wanted to get parasyte but saw vol.7 was so OOP that i wasnt going to bother but if kodansha have been sneaking it out i'll pick it up.

I don't know why they keep suff like that secret, If i asked em about it I rekkon they wouldnt reply.

vols 5-8 august 21 2012 according to the random house page. yeeehaw

I really hope they do re-re-release volumes 5-8. 1-4 I can get now. Sweet!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2