• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Updating Containers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
In looking to update the Yu-Gi-Oh! (manga #1642) listings, it seems to be a combination of both just the original 7-volume series and a container for the full series. How much of the full series belongs in this listing?

Put another way, should the information for the Duelist (manga #4851) and Millennium World (manga #8308) cycles be included only under the parent container, only in the child profiles (following where the releases are listed,) or in both places?

Thanks.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
NB: I know nothing about Yugioh other than cards an insane hair are involved. These are the notes people have submitted as misc information:

Quote:
In North America, Volumes 8-31 are known as Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist, while Volumes 32-38 are known as Yu-Gi-Oh! Millenium World.

Quote:
Originally in Japan, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duelist, and Yu-Gi-Oh!: Millenium World were collectively known as simply "Yu-Gi-Oh!" After Volume 7, Viz split the series into different sub-headings, to differentiate the arcs in the story and to be able to release the different story arcs at once. Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duelist consists of the original Volumes 8-31.

Quote:
Yu-Gi-Oh!: Mellenium World is Sequel to Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duelist and originaly Yu-Gi-Oh volume 32-38

Sounds similar to what Tokyopop did with "Master of the Clow".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Right. There might be some differences (related/sequel versus container and that one has all the releases under the main entry) but otherwise looks to have the same problem of where does the information belong.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

And Peach Girl: Change of Heart. I wish someone from Tokyopop or Viz could explain why they chose to separate a single series into two or more titles. Maybe I'll just ask Answerman.

Edit: typo fixed.

Last edited by dormcat on Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Other than splitting things into more manageable chunks, I think the answer is probably simply "someone in marketing thought it was a good idea" - e.g. a customer might get "Master of the Clow volume 1" as an impulse buy off a store shelf and then backorder the rest of the series, whereas they wouldn't have even considered getting "Cardcaptor Sakura volume 7" (I'm certainly much less likely to take a look at something if the first few volumes have sold out at the time I see it on a shelf).

bglassbrook wrote:
Right. There might be some differences (related/sequel versus container and that one has all the releases under the main entry) but otherwise looks to have the same problem of where does the information belong.

I actually moved all the releases to the main entry in that case since a merge was agreed on, if not actually implemented.

Here's the discussion:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1033932
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
So ignore the children, only work with the parent, and at some point you folks will combine the releases (luckily alphabetical order works here.) Can do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1