• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Umineko: When They Cry Mystery Anime (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
The anime is entertaining. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense all the time, but there are much worse things out there.

That said, you should buy the novels. You can buy and download them legally from hobibox, and translate them with a semi-officially unofficial english patch from here (includes instructions for buying, patching and installing): http://witch-hunt.com/stage.html

It's a very interesting deconstruction of literary genres, sprinkled with many ridiculously convoluted plot twists, and dialogue consisting mostly of sophistries and roundabout mystery solving.

Also, the soundtrack's incredibly intense.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
casualfan wrote:
I still remember this show as being more puzzling than Serial Experiments Lain. With that said, the opening and ending are some of the best anime has to offer.
The key difference is that Lain's puzzles actually have meaning and potent social commentary to them... ;P

I think this show has some social commentary too, mainly with deadly consequences of greed. Which is the only thing I can understand from it.
I guess so. Maybe I'm being unfairly judgmental because I didn't enjoy what I saw of the show. Lain just resonated with me on a more personal level, so there's a 90-something percent chance that I'm biased.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Salsaman1991 wrote:

It's a very interesting deconstruction of literary genres, sprinkled with many ridiculously convoluted plot twists, and dialogue consisting mostly of sophistries and roundabout mystery solving.

The anime is not. The anime is about small bombs.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Teehee Very Happy I got both Higurashi and Higurashi Kai recently. It's going to be awesome to watch this series again.

Umineko (which translates as 'gull' btw, not 'seacat') I'm not so sure about though. I seem to recall people saying that the plot was really hard to follow or too boring (aside from the murders of course). The games may be better, but they have awful art compared to the anime. Ah well, I'll bump it up my to-watch list so I'll know whether to buy it come release date.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I like the series. What I've seen of the anime isn't that bad, so I'll probably try to pick up the Blu-ray.

I think the reason most don't like the anime is because it's an unfinished story. It's "bigger" than Higurashi, involving more characters and taking more time to develop and tell. What's more, the anime doesn't really get into the heart of the VN story and the real resolution and unveiling of what was going on. So, anyone impatient with story telling in anime won't like it, and anyone who knows what happens beyond where the anime ends will have a sense of something missing in watching the anime. That's my sense of where much of the dislike comes from.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Wow, so NIS America CAN do wrong.

Someone better announce Higurashi and Higurashi Kai in the next 48 hours...

That's what I'm saying. Please release the rest of the series. Hell. re-release the first series as well.

Blu-Ray only, well that's a bummer. Guess they won't get my hard earned money. And folks complain about the sub-only issue. What about a regular ED?
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
I assume they are selling it that way because they don't want to split the story arcs up. So the first release will be episodes 1,2 and 3, and the second one will be episode 4. (Episodes being what each arc is called)

The convention I heard in the fandom was: Capitalized "Episode" refers to a story arc. Lowercase "episode" refers to a half-hour block of anime.

Also, it would make more sense to put Episodes 1 and 2 in one release and Episodes 3 and 4 in the other.

(Where is everyone getting the 1-18 / 19 - 26 release? I don't see that listed anywhere.)
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Teehee Very Happy I got both Higurashi and Higurashi Kai recently. It's going to be awesome to watch this series again.

Umineko (which translates as 'gull' btw, not 'seacat') I'm not so sure about though. I seem to recall people saying that the plot was really hard to follow or too boring (aside from the murders of course). The games may be better, but they have awful art compared to the anime. Ah well, I'll bump it up my to-watch list so I'll know whether to buy it come release date.

in the series there actually are characters called seacats, but also seagulls also are refered to as seacats in japan I think.
deidara517

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
This is big news actually yes the anime is hard to follow but The Visual Novels with the full story all of the clues and all of twists and turns is beyond amazing. i own all of umineko what they really should release is the Ps3 Umineko Games those 2 have updated graphics and art, fully voiced dialogue ,special CG's, and is a enhanced experience of the whole Visual novel genre. So i hope this works well for them then maybe they will localize the ps3 games.

That said i probably will buy the anime series anyway if not just to support my approval of this genre and anime in hopes of them releasing the localized games because thats where the true magic and mystery lies.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Umineko (which translates as 'gull' btw, not 'seacat') I'm not so sure about though.

Umineko - "sea cat" - is the Japanese common name for the black-tailed gull. The name comes from it's cat-like cry.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll pass on this. I didn't pay any attention to it when it aired, since I wasn't interested in the Higurashi titles... There are probably a couple of people happy about the license, though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
This is another one of those cases where the show wouldn't be derided if no one had translated the game. Cool, but heavily flawed, anime, nice license, glad to see BluRay.
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
This anime is really bad, but I liked it for some odd reason. In fact I said if it was to ever get licensed I would buy it, and now that day has finally come! Very Happy This anime is so extremely overacted, poorly animated, and ridiculously told that I enjoyed it for the pure outrageous spectacle. Seriously, it's my favorite "So bad, it's good" anime. If you want unintentional laughs then watch it. I never finished the "superior" Higurashi, but this one kept me engaged till the end. Take that for what you will.

Thanks NiS for making such a surprising move by licensing this anime.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Salsaman1991 wrote:

The anime is not. The anime is about small bombs.

I object in blue This anime is about Furniture and OH DESIRE~

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Well this was kinda out of the blue...

As much as I liked umineko I'm not buying the anime. better yet here's some advice go buy the VN with the money you could be spending on the DVDs, there's a voice and graphics patch out there you can use on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6