• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Indicates Online Plans for Honey and Clover, Nana

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Have you looked at the services that are available IN JAPAN for streaming and downloading Japanese tv shows and anime? Compared to the ones in the US they're 3 years behind the times.

Really? Doesn't seem that different to me.
This season I'm watching the official Japanese streams for Guin Saga, Phantom, Hatsukoi Limited, Majinger Z (IP address restricted), and Queen's Blade (IP address restricted).

Or do you just mean, on the non-free side, the emphasis on individual episode rentals over DTO or subscription?

Personally I'll take the WMV files used by Japanese anime streaming/rental sites over the Flash-video mess that the English web uses (although I'm happy to see sites are finally figuring out how to turn Flash video hardware acceleration on).
In any case, Bandai Channel has a heck of a lot more anime than the entire English web put together. Smile
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
yes yes yes. I've been waiting for H&C dvds for so long Anime hyper! I bet teh slow up was to get the rights to all the music in H&C perhaps, but I sure hope they got all the music so that they don't have to cut it out :/

Shudders! Honey and Clover wouldn't be Honey and Clover without the music by Suga Shikao, Spitz and Suneohair. At least Yuki was on the trailer...
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
One thing I don't get though is why a japanese company needs an american middle man just to host and stream video files. As tech savvy as Japan is, I can't imagine that there is no company there that has the ability to sell downloads and host streams.

If the only plan to make money is via paid rentals/sales/subscriptions for the video episodes themselves, this can be done.

But as soon as you want to have any other revenue source—local advertising* or physical goods in local stores—it makes sense to partner with organizations in specific geographical regions that can do a much better job of distribution there. Too many customers balk at mail order, much less international mail order; they want their trinkets sold at their local Wal-Mart.

*You can do some with Google ads and other global services, but it's limited. Consider the video ads in front of Funimation's FMA: Brotherhood episodes that are intended for the North American market.
joystick1101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
This great news but can Viz really be trusted after what they did w/ their last big shojo title, Full Moon Crying or Very sad . You know releasing half the series. like w/ funimation and kodocha... Mad
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
Oh Viz.

Just give me a date for the first DVD release. Please?

I mean, NANA already has one, so what can be so hard about giving one to Honey & Clover, eh?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Sounds awesome!
Scab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Interesting. Assuming the DTO option is DRM free and reasonably priced, I'll be jumping on it. Here's just hoping it won't be region locked...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:
News flash: Viz gets it. Smile

They're getting there. Nana is like 3 years old now.

One thing I don't get though is why a japanese company needs an american middle man just to host and stream video files. As tech savvy as Japan is, I can't imagine that there is no company there that has the ability to sell downloads and host streams.

Have you looked at the services that are available IN JAPAN for streaming and downloading Japanese tv shows and anime? Compared to the ones in the US they're 3 years behind the times.

Japan is great at electronic tech, not web tech. I mean, have you looked at a Japanese web page ever? Eww....
2channel was a good idea Smile
NERVchild

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks the trailers seem too, IDK, wordy?

I'll agree that it did seem wordy. It offered a good glimpse of the overall story, but it falls short of giving you the funny times, terrific artistry, & emotional depth the series has to offer. I hope they put out another trailer in the future closer to DVD time.

Anyone go to visit the site for the voice actress for Hagumi, Heather Halley? I'm minorly worried for her after listening to the promo voice clips. Also, any clue if Viz will keep the honorifics such as "Sempai" and Hagu's "Shuu-chan."
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
joystick1101 wrote:
This great news but can Viz really be trusted after what they did w/ their last big shojo title, Full Moon Crying or Very sad . You know releasing half the series. like w/ funimation and kodocha... Mad

At least NANA's going direct to box set, instead of Viz doing single discs that take too long to come out and take up too much shelf space.

As for Kodocha and Full Moon: FINISH WHAT YOU START!
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
...Shudders! Honey and Clover wouldn't be Honey and Clover without the music by Suga Shikao, Spitz and Suneohair. At least Yuki was on the trailer...

Wait what? H&C is coming on DVD without the original music? WTF?

Please say it isn't so! Anime cry

I want to buy them on DVD but I loved the music, it was one of the reasons why I liked it so much Anime cry
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
As for Kodocha and Full Moon: FINISH WHAT YOU START!
Nods in agreement.

It is nice to see VIZ finally starting to really get things in line with these series. With streaming, I'll get a chance to preview these series before I actually have to buy them. Yeah for not having to blind buy!
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:
Dop.L wrote:
...Shudders! Honey and Clover wouldn't be Honey and Clover without the music by Suga Shikao, Spitz and Suneohair. At least Yuki was on the trailer...

Wait what? H&C is coming on DVD without the original music? WTF?

Please say it isn't so! Anime cry

People really shouldn't be jumping to conclusions based on a trailer. Wait for the DVD release, at least.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Took them long enough. Finally some real news regarding the DVD release of Honey and Clover, even if the actual release dates still haven't been announced yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
corinthian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
It is about time. Viz has been sitting on these for a while, so hopefully they did a quality job. I couldn't care less for streaming, but DTO is kind of tempting. I'll probably stick to DVDs though, even if I am running out of shelf space.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3