• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Adds Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then, Here and There

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
Zac wrote:
I'd pay a lot of money for even a barebones release of that remastered edition.

I don't think anyone's going to release it here - at least, I remain cautiously skeptical that that would ever happen - but if it did, that'd be goddamn christmas.

I'll be extremely surprised if Funimation doesn't jump on it. It's a show with demand, it hasn't been widely pirated by fansubbers, they can probably get the license cheap, and there's a remaster available.

I wouldn't be surprised if they already have it and that they're just waiting for a good time to announce it. Betcha beer that they'll announce at least having the license on or before AX, remaster or not.

If they do, I'll feel awfully silly for importing the remastered version from Japan (had it on preorder the day CDJapan put it up--had to do the second set twice because CDJapan though it had been canceled not just delayed at one point). Then again, it'd certainly make my first AX trip well worth it...and yeah, I'd still turn around and buy a new NA version if it's the remastered version.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Ack, I forgot all about RG Veda and Shamanic Princess.... now I must go off and look for used dvds. I hope they get picked up. I see no reason for RG Veda not to get picked up since it's a CLAMP title, and an OVA.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
what I really want is for ADV to get Night on the Galactic Railroad, I've never seen that and the asking prices online are ludicrous.
GreenCine has it available for rent (or at least they did a few months ago when I rented it from them).

I don't know, maybe it's my ignorance of the business side of the industry, but an Utena re-release doesn't seem that much more implausible than the NTHT one we are getting. And, I would think that it just getting a remastered release in Japan would help its chances. Is it simply the length that would make it cost so much more to bring over?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:
what I really want is for ADV to get Night on the Galactic Railroad, I've never seen that and the asking prices online are ludicrous.
GreenCine has it available for rent (or at least they did a few months ago when I rented it from them).

I don't know, maybe it's my ignorance of the business side of the industry, but an Utena re-release doesn't seem that much more implausible than the NTHT one we are getting. And, I would think that it just getting a remastered release in Japan would help its chances. Is it simply the length that would make it cost so much more to bring over?

I don't know what the hold up with an Utena rescue is. I don't think anybody does. It could be the price Enoki is asking, or it could be some other issue. But if the terms and price were reasonable, I would expect somebody to have it already. CPM's license has been expired for at least a year so far, according to some reports, so there has been plenty of time for ADV, Funimation, or someone else to grab it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
If ADV release NTHN in the UK I may finally get to see it, although I don't know a great deal about it. Unfortunately the people who have the rights to Narue here, "Animazing", released it sub only, crammed onto just a couple of discs and packaged in cardboard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
nagato:
Quote:
BTW I am as surprised as everyone else that Walt Disney didn't pick up this title (because Disney has the domestic distribution rights to 99.9% of the Studio Ghibli library).

I just explained why they didn't pick it up. It's violent, and they'll be accused of being commies for releasing anything sympathetic to the Japanese side of the war.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
nagato:
Quote:
BTW I am as surprised as everyone else that Walt Disney didn't pick up this title (because Disney has the domestic distribution rights to 99.9% of the Studio Ghibli library).

I just explained why they didn't pick it up. It's violent, and they'll be accused of being commies for releasing anything sympathetic to the Japanese side of the war.

Accused of being Commies? Mother Russia was Communist, and they were our ALLIES during the war! If anything, Japan was more like a fascist monarchy back then.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Libertarian: Yes, I know, but that's an easy label for people to slap on you, if you make a criticism which might be deemed "unpatriotic".
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

They released Pom Poko, and that movie is about inflatable raccoon scrotums. If you wanted to argue that they would never release anything that would potentially harm their image, you kinda lost that debate when they released the nutsack movie.

Also, this is 2009, not 1959, and I think they could probably get away with releasing the widely respected, long-acknowledged and critically acclaimed Grave of the Fireflies (which has been available here for years and years and years) without crazy people burning down Disneyland in protest.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
They released Pom Poko, and that movie is about inflatable raccoon scrotums.

And that's only because they were able to come up with a euphemism for scrotum, so the movie wouldn't piss off soccer moms. But I'm still waiting for Only Yesterday, and hoping fans aren't right that right that the reason it hasn't come out on R1 DVD yet is because it talks about menstruation. [Disney did do its own animated PSA on menstruation in the 40s, so I'm assuming that wouldn't be an issue for the company, even though that short has yet to be on dvd, too.]

Quote:
If you wanted to argue that they would never release anything that would potentially harm their image,

Please. If they cared about their image, they wouldn't be releasing direct-to-video sequels of classic animated films and movie spin-offs of low-budget Disney Channel shows. No, they just don't want to deal with the negative backlash from red-staters who think any "balanced" view of WW2 automatically denigrates our troops.

Quote:
Also, this is 2009, not 1959, and I think they could probably get away with releasing the widely respected, long-acknowledged and critically acclaimed Grave of the Fireflies (which has been available here for years and years and years) without crazy people burning down Disneyland in protest.

Well, I'm still waiting for Song of the South, so you know how it is.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Actually, even in the 50-60's they would be pretty darn safe from "burning down". Wink Rolling Eyes

But since the movie is from the early eighties wouldn't that be the relevant time period to compare it with anyway?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Libertarian: Yes, I know, but that's an easy label for people to slap on you, if you make a criticism which might be deemed "unpatriotic".

Maybe so, but anyone who uses these ad hominem arguements should realize that (And they know this!) we're not criticizing America! It's our home, too! What we are criticizing are policies that threaten the quality of life in this country. (Or in the case of GotF, looking at the final days of WWII from another country's perspective, especially one that was on the losing side of the war.)
RedLeader

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
Wow. I'm surprised NO ONE has mentioned Dancougar so far. C'mon, ADV! CPM never gave us a DVD release and who knows how long those VHS tapes will last!
bj_waters

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
bj_waters wrote:

Um, isn't One Piece recent enough? (Though I must admit that FUNi had some real guts licensing that title.)

I have a feeling that One Piece may end up in the same boat as Case Closed, and never be truly finished. I know the sales at retail haven't exactly been hot.

Ooooooooooohhhh, don't say things like thaaaat . . . .

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but One Piece is awesome! They can't let that one gooooo . . . . .

OH, and to stay relevant with the forum topic, I still haven't seen a lot of CPM's catalog and everyone here is requesting some pretty interesting titles (Like VOTOMS and Lodoss).
nagato316

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
nagato:
Quote:

I just explained why they didn't pick it up...

Really?...just asking because I didn't see any posts mentioning it prior to my post or yours. No matter...I totally understand Disney not wanting to put the actual _Disney_ name on this for obvious reasons. Fine...that's what your other distribution branches are for...but help me out here as I'm about to demonstrate that I'm clearly not a lawyer...if the Walt Disney Company has the video distribution rights to the Ghibli library, would that imply that Ghibli titles could be released under Disney's less "kid/family-centric" labels like Miramax or Touchstone, if need be? (Although as previously mentioned this was a moot issue with the release of Pom Poko.) If in fact Disney does have the rights to distribute through the "Disney owned but not 'Disney' " brands, then this would be the sole source of my astonishment over another company obtaining the rights to that 0.01% of the Ghibli catalog.

But at the very least, those who missed out on acquiring this landmark film previously will have another opportunity very soon, and that's the important thing...having the peace of mind that GotF will not fall out of print, because a work this important does not deserve to fall into such a limbo.

Last edited by nagato316 on Thu May 07, 2009 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9