• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Some Viz, Dark Horse Manga Titles Increase in Price

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Note to ANN editors- Del Rey's books have never been 9.99- they were always 10.99. Likewise, Go Comi's another publisher whose books are in that range, and Tokyopop's current releases are also at 10.99.

CMX and VIZ are the only publishers currently with a 9.99 standard, though both also publish mature rated titles at higher prices.

Mind you, prices are a gazillion times awesome then pre-2000 when 16-20 dollar manga volumes were common. Prices are up at many comics publishers due to shifts in bookstore and newsstand markets, so it's no surprise it affects VIZ too.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
grave_digger18 wrote:
I think people are exaggerating a little. its only 1 or 2$. When i go buy berserk, the price ranges from 13 to 16$ based on the exchange rate and cost of delivery.

I figured you were from Canada even before I looked at your location :p

Seriously, other countries get it WAY worse. Del Ray I recall seeing all the way up to a whopping 16.99 for some of their earlier volumes of Tsubasa (compared to say... a 12.99 Americans had to pay for it). Even WHEN our dollar was higher, many stores like Chapters did NOT follow the "pay the American price" rule that was going on, thus I continued going to comic stores to get a good deal on manga. Heck, ones I know usually charge LESS for the Canadian MSRP, but still a little above the American.

Keep boo-hooing about 1 or 2 dollars... I don't even WANT to know how much Berserk would be here at 14.95 >_> Bad enough our dollar is going up AGAIN and is getting close to being on par with USD and we STILL have to spend our Canadian amount...
grapeofdeath

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
As an avid Berserk buyer this sucks. Does anyone else in the Berserk fandom feel like they're the only person who buys Dark Horse's volumes and doesn't keep up with the scanlations? Because I do. Sad

It's not really all that bad. I remember the first volume they sold of Berserk back in 2003 was 14.95 so this like like going back to it's original price. And does anyone remember or even notice that Dark Horse made a mistake on their site a year ago saying the new volumes would be 18.95 each ( http://www.theblackswordsman.com/2008/08/25/dark-horse-updates-berserk-pricing-for-next-year/ )? Makes me appreciate 14.95.

Besides, we're almost caught up with the Japanese volumes and with the rate it's being published in Japan we'll be lucky if two volumes get published a year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
strahl

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
and here we go complaining that one or two dollars is "oh so much"
ya cheep bastich, imagine that in europe the manga cost like 10-12 euro, and give the company some break.

So what if the prices increase? since when Naruto was a "hard sell"? or berserk? obviously if you have a hit in your hands, you won't cheapen it out, the initial low price was to get you hooked, now that you are on volume 45 something...come on, you already commited for all the rest of the series, why a buck or two will hinder your shopping?

Scanlations...dont even get me there, no comparison at all, I bought all my manga on paper and I will still do it, you can't compare a Vagabond book with the scan, I dont even read vagabond scans, so no, Scans wont proliferate more, the cheap guys will still be reading them and the manga buyers will still keep buying manga.

And I dont see you complaining that the average american GN cost 16-24 dollars, and I gladly pay 20 bucks for new Blade of the immortal manga, dont you understand that the industry is almost dead because you dont buy anything? do you want a new manga title from japan? fat chance, look at naruto "limping" on sales (pun intended) if you dont buy your favorite manga, there won't be anymore manga to buy....
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I'll gladly pay $1-2 more as long as the series I read continue to come out. I only buy manga on sale from TRSI anyway. I just wait for a sale then pre-order everything that's available and then wait for it to be mailed to me as it comes out. The latest volume of Ouran only cost me $5.40; the volume of Bleach that came with it was $4.75.
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
...Huh? I've been buying mostly Viz manga because it's cheaper than Tokyopop and such. Viz will be losing my business, with these price increases and Shojo Beat's death too. Epic fail Viz epic fail...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
time to use to book coupons i all ways get

Exactly, with Borders Rewards, I could already buy most manga for $6-9. This increase won't me hurt that much.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Kind of surprised Naruto got included. When Del Rey increased its prices it left out most of its best sellers (xxxHOLiC, Tsubasa, etc.), most likely for the reason that they sell enough of those that they are still extremely profitable. Though I guess you have to keep in mind that the price point was higher to begin with.

The Darkhorse thing is kind of expected though. If you have made to V.31 or whatever it is in Berserk chances are you won't stop now. Naruto is a little different since many of those sales are paid for by parents or otherwise non-interested parties and have the possibility of being dropped.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Ah, well back to buying used manga I go. Heck of a lot cheaper, and most in pretty new condition.

Oh come on you know you want the nice new fresh stuff. A dollar really isn't that much of an increase.

Besides that "new car" smell that you think you are getting from the used books might actually be stale ferret spray. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Ah, well back to buying used manga I go. Heck of a lot cheaper, and most in pretty new condition.

same.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Given the fact that these titles were the cheapest out there and now they will be closer to the average price, I don't think it's really that big of a deal. It definitely wouldn't effect my buying these titles.

And I'm pretty sure most of the people going on and on about the increase will still buy them too. People just love to have something to complain about.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, as long as it's just the new manga getting the increase, then I'll be all right with it. I'm still trying to get volumes from the first half of Naruto, and that's already expensive enough. Anime hyper

Anyway, an extra $2 for the newest volumes doesn't seem so bad (especially on series like Naruto, which will probably be ending soon more than likely...I think Anime hyper). If it means getting the next volume in the series I'm collecting, I'm for it. Hopefully, however, we don't keep seeing this increase. I admit it, manga and light novels are basically the only things I read (yeah, don't laugh), but I don't want to spend a fortune on them - even with sales on TRSI or Barnes and Nobel. Anime hyper
Anonymous099

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
From an economic standpoint, the price increase will also cause them to produce less. I assume they know that demand for for their product will also decrease. When the price is raised for a product with high elasticity (a niche hobby) most customers may not respond favorably.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Just because the retail price has gone up, doesn't mean you're beholden to that price.

Sure, let the retailers take the hit. Who cares about them.

The reality is that if retailers have to cut prices 25-40% off MSRP to move manga (and cut their margins respectively), there are going to be a lot fewer choices for fans in the future. The current trend is very disturbing, and these price increases just put retailers like us in a box. Do we pass the increases on and risk reduced sell through, or keep the current price levels at decreased margins?

At some point retailers will no longer be able to subsidize stocking the low selling manga series against the revenue from the hit series. No one will be able to keep stocking much manga except the very best sellers on 10% (or lower) margins. Who would want to? The publishers are not doing us any favors with these price increases.

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
nargun

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
This doesn't bother me to much. Their lucky that I love Berserk enough to want to pay almost any price to read it.

Price inelasticity!

[also, no, price rises keeping pace with inflation do not, by definition, "price anyone out of the market". If your incomes aren't keeping pace with inflation it's not Viz's fault and there's not much they can do about it.]
kazana144

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
grave_digger18 wrote:
I think people are exaggerating a little. its only 1 or 2$. When i go buy berserk, the price ranges from 13 to 16$ based on the exchange rate and cost of delivery.

I figured you were from Canada even before I looked at your location :p

Seriously, other countries get it WAY worse. Del Ray I recall seeing all the way up to a whopping 16.99 for some of their earlier volumes of Tsubasa (compared to say... a 12.99 Americans had to pay for it). Even WHEN our dollar was higher, many stores like Chapters did NOT follow the "pay the American price" rule that was going on, thus I continued going to comic stores to get a good deal on manga. Heck, ones I know usually charge LESS for the Canadian MSRP, but still a little above the American.

Keep boo-hooing about 1 or 2 dollars... I don't even WANT to know how much Berserk would be here at 14.95 >_> Bad enough our dollar is going up AGAIN and is getting close to being on par with USD and we STILL have to spend our Canadian amount...

I thought Canadians didn't have to pay sales tax on books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4