• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA Adds Vinland Saga, Sankarea, No. 6, Tokyo Mew Mew A la Mode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Omg, I've wanted Vinland Saga forever. And I was absolutely certain that No. 6 would never get licensed! Hopefully Kodansha ends up licensing the Devil Survivor manga, another pipe dream, as well.

There's a guy who's been translating the novels, and he has a link on his site to Kodansha so people can request an official translation. I guess it worked but they misunderstood that people were requesting the novels.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Vinland Saga? I should have bet actual money...

Not sure if I'm going to buy it though. October 2013 is still so far away. Carlsen Manga will be 7-8 volumes ahead by then... Also, who knows if Kodansha's edition will have those nice colour pages? I do like those colour pages.

Quote:
There's a guy who's been translating the novels, and he has a link on his site to Kodansha so people can request an official translation. I guess it worked but they misunderstood that people were requesting the novels.

Most light novels don't stand much of a chance over here, so I think they just went with what may actually sell decently.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Vinland Saga!

Hopefully they put it on their digital service.
MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
No new titles that seem very interesting to me, and looking even more like there won't be any more Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei. Bummer.
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
MarchingTwinkie3 wrote:
No new titles that seem very interesting to me, and looking even more like there won't be any more Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei. Bummer.

Yeah I want to know what's going on with that. I've looked around and there's no release date for volume 15.

I hope they're not just going to drop the series in print. That would be so unfortunate.
MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Genet wrote:

Yeah I want to know what's going on with that. I've looked around and there's no release date for volume 15.

I hope they're not just going to drop the series in print. That would be so unfortunate.

It's one of only two series that I pre-order religiously (the other finishes releasing next month), and I haven't resorted to illegal means to read further because I just enjoy receiving it and immediately shutting myself off from everything else to read it. It'll be such a disappointment for me if I'll never own it complete in a language I can read.
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
MarchingTwinkie3 wrote:
Genet wrote:

It's one of only two series that I pre-order religiously (the other finishes releasing next month), and I haven't resorted to illegal means to read further because I just enjoy receiving it and immediately shutting myself off from everything else to read it. It'll be such a disappointment for me if I'll never own it complete in a language I can read.

At the very, very least, I hope JManga will rescue it if it's indeed dead. It looks like Kodansha and JManga might have an agreement with each other? Though it could possibly just be for Del Rey titles.

I wonder maybe if they just bumped it back to a yearly schedule, like Viz did with all their Sig titles?
MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Genet wrote:

At the very, very least, I hope JManga will rescue it if it's indeed dead. It looks like Kodansha and JManga might have an agreement with each other? Though it could possibly just be for Del Rey titles.

I wonder maybe if they just bumped it back to a yearly schedule, like Viz did with all their Sig titles?

It's particularly annoying to me because I already went through all of this with SZS during the switch from Del Rey to Kodansha Comics. It would be disappointing to not have a print copy but, if JManga does rescue it, I will certainly be a supporter.

I somehow missed that about Viz Signature, thank you. It gives me hope that maybe someday there will be a fifth volume of Kingyo Used Books released. I have a really bad track record of getting really into manga and having the companies drop them shortly thereafter.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Has there been any news on the 2 Chibi-Usa volumes yet? I haven't heard from those for a while, nor seen anything about them on pre-order.

You mean the two short-story anthologies? IIRC, those came after the 12-volume run in Japan, and we only have solicitations through volume 10 right now. I'd expect them to come out after 12, as if they were volumes 13 and 14.

Also, they're not all Chibi-Usa stories. One is about Rei, and one is about Luna (and was the basis for the S movie).
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
So excited about Vinland Saga! There's a high chance retailers in Aus and NZ would stock it...guess it's time to save up...
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
About time they announced Vinland Saga. Here's hoping Kodansha USA actually gives it the treatment it deserves.

I hope that they give it the treatment that Vertical(?) thought that it deserved (hardcover, etc.). Unfortunately, I'm not expecting anything fancy from Kodansha. Have they gone beyond the bare minimum for any of their titles? None of the ones that I'm buying, that I recall...
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
They've been phoning in Ace Attorney since Phoenix arc vol. 1, and now they're phoning in the Sailor Moon artbook. Here I was, hoping for English releases of the gorgeous (and price-gougeariffic) Japanese books so I could tell the scalpers and bootleggers to bite me in style, but no, we're getting a medley. In paperback. If it's anything like the ones I have from Udon (ironically, with the exception of the Ace Attorney artbook), I'm going to give it a pass. I don't like my artbooks falling apart on me.

Last edited by sailorneorune on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Sweet Tokyo Mew Mew a la Mode but a whole years wait to get it
Genet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
MarchingTwinkie3 wrote:
Genet wrote:

It's particularly annoying to me because I already went through all of this with SZS during the switch from Del Rey to Kodansha Comics. It would be disappointing to not have a print copy but, if JManga does rescue it, I will certainly be a supporter.

I somehow missed that about Viz Signature, thank you. It gives me hope that maybe someday there will be a fifth volume of Kingyo Used Books released. I have a really bad track record of getting really into manga and having the companies drop them shortly thereafter.

Same. I hope that there will be a print option available. But keep in mind that all of this is...conjecture. I haven't a clue what's up with SZS, I just hope hope hope they just decreased the schedule and didn't stop doing it altogether.

And yeah, I'll have to scour around for the post, but I'm pretty sure almost all their titles got bumped back to a yearly release schedule. I do hope I heard right!
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Has there been any news on the 2 Chibi-Usa volumes yet? I haven't heard from those for a while, nor seen anything about them on pre-order.

You mean the two short-story anthologies? IIRC, those came after the 12-volume run in Japan, and we only have solicitations through volume 10 right now.

Volumes 11 & 12 are also up for pre-order on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1612620078
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1612620086
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4