• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Band of Brothers [2009-08-03]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't the "not missing that much" line be applied to pretty much any anime in this list?

If you're not a fan of shounen fare, you're "not missing that much" with FMA: Brotherhood and Death Note:Condensed.

If you're not a fan of Lifetime movies and soap opera-styled relationships, you're "not missing that much" with NANA.

Why even have the sentence in there? Obviously if someone isn't a fan of the genre, they're "not missing that much". It seems like such a throwaway line, something that could be on any review and not just for a moe show.
Shale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
It's the counterpoint to "even if you're not a fan of the genre, you should really check this out." There's a difference between a show that's good and a show that's good if you like that sort of thing, and it's nice for a reviewer to tell the difference.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I know, but the connotation is completely different between Nana (If you're a shoujo fan then you really need to see this) and Kannagi (Unless moe is your thing, you're not missing much).

For once I'd like to see a, "Unless you're a fan of shoujo, you're not missing much" and a "If you're a moe fan than you really need to see this."

She was making the same statement in that the people who are going to enjoy the respective shows are going to be the ones who like the genre it falls in, but for Nana she states it with a positive connotation and with Kannagi she refers to it with a negative connotation.

I have to question why.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy the first anime adaptation of Fullmetal Alchemist and its manga about equally, so I enjoy Brotherhood fairly well. The manga is so full of detail, world-building, and great action, and the first series is strong thematically and has a mature approach to the material that seperates it from other shows of its kind (and I'm glad somebody of note is actually sticking up for it).

They both have their flaws. The first series, because it deviated from the manga, has some weird adaptation inconsistancies, choosing to adapt things which ultimately become pointless to because it deviates so much, not to mention an ending where your mileage may vary. The manga drags on in certain areas, and sometimes collapses under the weight of its own details, making it seem like a distraction from the story proper. And I've never been a huge fan of the Xingese characters- they seem more like Naruto characters to me.

However, Brotherhood is very enjoyable. It's a little inconsistent in its more proper adaptation, since it reshuffles events pointlessly and fast tracked a lot of important material, but like I said, I'm a fan of the manga, too, so I do approve of the plot choices. I just wish that at some point, we'd get more than the few background music pieces they've used since the first episode.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If you're not a fan of Lifetime movies and soap opera-styled relationships, you're "not missing that much" with NANA.

From this comment, I seriously doubt you've watched either a Lifetime movie or Nana. Nana is nothing like a typical Lifetime movie. If it was, the whole thing would be about what a bastard Takumi is and how all the guys suck. It does lean heavily on the soap opera side, I'll agree, but it's a very good series, with very high production values.

Quote:
If you're not a fan of shounen fare, you're "not missing that much" with FMA: Brotherhood and Death Note:Condensed.

But regular Death Note wasn't "shounen fare," which is part of why it was so controversial. It was running the sort of plot you'd be more likely to see in a seinen series in the same magazine that ran One Piece and Naruto.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so Death Note involved killing people.

One Piece involves human slave-trafficking and physical and verbal abuse (including many scenes where the master kills its slave). Is One Piece seinen all of a sudden cause it kills people?

EDIT: And while I only saw one episode of the Nana anime, I have read a hefty portion of the manga.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised that so many have the same feelings that I have toward the new FMA. I know that they don't want to retread ground, but much of the emotional investment I had for the first isn't there. I had some warning from a friend that had read a good chunk of the manga that the short jokes etc.would be heavier, but even then it seemed a bit much. Then again, I'll admit that since the first is my all-time favorite series I'm not necessarily the best person to ask.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I've liked Kannagi so far... esp the in jokes [otaku monologing gold!] and stuff that is unexpectedly subtle... I find it odd that Amazon isn't selling it directly but through Bandai's storefront. Has anyone seen that before? Makes me wonder if there will be a complete boxset or only a split one. $50+ is a bit high in the long run, seems like.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually enjoying Brotherhood so far, even though I can find more than a half dozen things to complain about in almost every episode. The first series was good, but now that I'm rewatching it, it really tries so hard to be sad and tragic. Not to mention that it's that way with filler episodes too and when it actually happens in the main storyline, I feel jaded about the whole thing. I'm not really fan of the BGM either- I really consider it to be the worst when it comes to BGM in popular series.

Brotherhood really only needs a slight change of pace most of the time and then I'd say that it's better than the first one. Of course, even with stuff like Yock Island, which has the same amount of time dedicated to it in both series, feels less powerful in Brotherhood. So it just shows that the director doesn't seem to be too great in regards to these type of scenarios.

He is pretty great at directing actions scenes, though. The fight in the first episode and spoiler[Greed vs. Bradley] are proof enough.

So I'd say manga>>>>1st anime>2nd series
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Okay, so Death Note involved killing people.

One Piece involves human slave-trafficking and physical and verbal abuse (including many scenes where the master kills its slave). Is One Piece seinen all of a sudden cause it kills people?

Um, no. I describe Death Note as atypical for a shounen because it has a blatant villain protagonist and some seriously ambiguous morality on the part of his antagonists. Most series that run in Shounen Jump are pretty clear-cut on who the good guys are. So calling it "shounen fare," when it's rather different than most shounen series, wouldn't be helpful at all telling people whether they'd like it or not.

And I didn't say it was seinen; it's rather too simplistic in its approach for that. But the reason people raised a snit over it at times was because it was being read by 12-year olds. Same plot in a seinen magazine and no one would have blinked.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I take it you consider Code Geass to be in the same vein, seeing how Lelouche is another of those megalomaniac-with-super-powers like Light?
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I love shojo manga, but I usually find their anime equivilants to be lacking. They tend to be slow paced to the point of boredom.

So I was skeptical about NANA, afterall, I've read the manga beyond the anime ending point and it doesn't have any spectacular visual feats in the story that feel like they *have* to be animated, such as battles.

I've only seen the first episode so far, but it really is looking good. The characters are spot on, the humor is captured, and I'm really, really excited about the music (I've heard a lot of music from the series already, via YouTube and a few eps from the end of the series that I saw fansubbed a couple years aga. It is fantastic!)

This is not your typical shojo show, and I think it can cross otaku genres and delight slice of life and music show (like Beck, which I loved) fans, as well.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I adore Nana,but I haven't gotten around to watching all the episodes of the anime (I've been following the manga more closely,though).
I find that Kannagi is really cute and enjoyable.Like others have mentioned,I appreciate its emphasis on cuteness rather than fanservice.
And while I do like Death Note,I completely agree that Relight was not necessary...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I take it you consider Code Geass to be in the same vein, seeing how Lelouche is another of those megalomaniac-with-super-powers like Light?

You're implying that Code Geass is actually shounen. Maybe, but then again, since its manga adaptations ran in shoujo, shounen, and seinen magazines, it definitely isn't "shounen fare." It's anything but typical.

I'd also be one of those who'd hotly contest that the Lelouch/Light parallel is only skin-deep at best; Light is a flat-out villain (it's all about him playing God), Lelouch is an ends-justify-the-means antihero.

Agent355 wrote:
This is not your typical shojo show, and I think it can cross otaku genres and delight slice of life and music show (like Beck, which I loved) fans, as well.

That's because it's not shoujo, it's josei.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
That's because it's not shoujo, it's josei.

Except it's published in a shojo magazine (in Japan and America), so it's shojo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4