• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Copyright Office Rules on Infringement Exemptions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Well I rip DVDs for storage, and do the same for Bluray, and the Copyright Office can bite me. This is arbitrary nonsense.

If you rip them as ISOs, I think you're technically not breaking the DMCA and such since you're not circumventing any copy-protection scheme.

But, ripping full BDs and DVDs can surely eat away a lot of hard drive space.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Ripping BD ISOs is pointless - part of the DRM uses a key encoded elsewhere on the disc.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Ripping BD ISOs is pointless - part of the DRM uses a key encoded elsewhere on the disc.

But, it shouldn't matter with an ISO since you're dumping a 1:1 copy of the disc (unless somehow that part of the disc isn't copied, but that would make no sense at all unless AACS is that terrible). So, when you mount it, it's as if you popped the disc into your BD player on your PC. Of course, it all depends if whatever software you use can playback copy-protected BDs from a mounted ISO (PowerDVD or whatever).
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

Neither BD+, Rom Mark nor Cinavia pose a problem for the major rippers out there.
You may perhaps not be able to make a 1:1 copy you could play on a hardware player (which would include the protections), but those would still allow you to rip the contents to hard drive.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
But, it shouldn't matter with an ISO since you're dumping a 1:1 copy of the disc (unless somehow that part of the disc isn't copied, but that would make no sense at all unless AACS is that terrible). So, when you mount it, it's as if you popped the disc into your BD player on your PC. Of course, it all depends if whatever software you use can playback copy-protected BDs from a mounted ISO (PowerDVD or whatever).
AACS is that terrible - the BDROM mark isn't copied with an ISO. There are plenty of programs that can break through it, but your decrypted ISO would still be in violation of the DMCA.
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I want to know why it's considered wrong to rip our own DVDs. What if I want to watch on something else, like iPod? Where is the harm in this? I bought it, I own it, and I'm in no way trying to bootleg it for someone else.

I'm still stuck on the issue of VHS to DVD, too. Some things I to own are only on VHS, and VHS tapes wear out before much time, and are a lot less convenient to use than DVD. Why can't I be allowed to make DVDs out of them when the companies won't bother to make official DVD versions for me?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Making archival copies is fine, breaking DRM isn't.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Jeikobu wrote:
I want to know why it's considered wrong to rip our own DVDs. What if I want to watch on something else, like iPod? Where is the harm in this? I bought it, I own it, and I'm in no way trying to bootleg it for someone else.

Its not that its considered wrong, its whether there is any way to distinguish between ripping for archival purposes, ripping for an unlicensed use by the owner, and ripping to distribute bootlegs.

(1) Ripping for archival purposes is obviously fine. But as far as I understand it, under the DCMA, its a back-up, not a front-up. Its when your DVD has become trashed and unplayable, or the device to read the DRM'd ebook has become unavailable in the market, and the vendor has not made an alternative available to you, that you can break the DRM to read the archive.

(2) Ripping for an unlicensed use (eg, not allowing ripping to play on an iPod because digital distribution is a separate license to home video distribution) is where I believe the DMCA goes way overboard in allowing restrictions on what ought to be legislated to be fair use.

(3) Ripping for redistribution is obviously wrong. Its the creator of an original work who has been given the right to say who can and who cannot make a copy of the work for distribution. Ripping for redistribution tramples on those rights, with no compelling public interest on the other side.

Quote:
I'm still stuck on the issue of VHS to DVD, too. Some things I to own are only on VHS, and VHS tapes wear out before much time, and are a lot less convenient to use than DVD. Why can't I be allowed to make DVDs out of them when the companies won't bother to make official DVD versions for me?

That's (2) above, and I agree with you there. The substantial point is the fact of wear and tear.

OTOH, I believe that there is a 99.999%+ chance that if you play a VHS tape to an AV input and make a digital copy, and then master and burn a DVD of that digital copy, nobody will do anything about that. Unless you have an FBI raid for something else and they are looking for extra things to charge you with to keep you in questioning, I don't see what you would have to worry about there.
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

OTOH, I believe that there is a 99.999%+ chance that if you play a VHS tape to an AV input and make a digital copy, and then master and burn a DVD of that digital copy, nobody will do anything about that. Unless you have an FBI raid for something else and they are looking for extra things to charge you with to keep you in questioning, I don't see what you would have to worry about there.

But it's still considered illegal, right? If so, then it's still breaking the law, isn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
"Archival" copies are considered fair use and almost always explicitly allowed when there's a EULA(or they were last time I read one). Since VHS doesn't have any DRM, the DMCA's anti-cracking provisions are irrelevant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3