• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Anime Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Naruto is going to be tricky property to whoever finally gets it. As many have said, it IS a kid's show, but I'd say, by American standards, it's not. The battles are very violent, and characters always have needles, kunai, or shuriken stuck in their body for long periods of time (it always bothered me that they don't pull them out!!). And yes, emotionally the show has some mature themes to it.

I'm afraid that the initial childishness of Naruto's beginning would scare off viewers if it was shown on Adult Swim, and yet, there is a LOT to edit out for it to go on Toonami, especially if Toonami's demographic is getting younger. It's a pretty in-between show. Editting and finding out a way to translate all of the Japanese names for ninjitsus/weapons/etc is inevitable, and will cause ridiculous fan riots no matter what.. but eh, as long as it becomes popular here and we get uncut DVDs, I'll be fine. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, concidering how much the Japanese version of Naruto is already toned down from the original manga version, there's not very really all that much blood to edit out, I think the thing that bugs the hardcore fans is the prospect of having the series dubbed and having the technique names changed, and heaven forbid Naruto without swearing...I mean the only character that'll change is Tayuya, and that's still easy to get around... (I seem to recall that the Toonami version of Kenshin still had words like "damn" in it)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
I'd like to point out that Dragonball (including Dragonball Z) had 444 episodes, 17 (including the original DB) movies, two TV specials, and a really crappy OVA. This is not to mention an additional 64 episodes and one more movie from Dragonball GT.

Actually, the GT Movie is just a TV special, branded as a movie for it's US DVD release. Also, the OVA isn't an OVA, it's game footage Smile
emory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Naruto is going to be tricky property to whoever finally gets it. As many have said, it IS a kid's show, but I'd say, by American standards, it's not. The battles are very violent, and characters always have needles, kunai, or shuriken stuck in their body for long periods of time (it always bothered me that they don't pull them out!!). And yes, emotionally the show has some mature themes to it.

I'm afraid that the initial childishness of Naruto's beginning would scare off viewers if it was shown on Adult Swim, and yet, there is a LOT to edit out for it to go on Toonami, especially if Toonami's demographic is getting younger. It's a pretty in-between show. Editting and finding out a way to translate all of the Japanese names for ninjitsus/weapons/etc is inevitable, and will cause ridiculous fan riots no matter what.. but eh, as long as it becomes popular here and we get uncut DVDs, I'll be fine. Anime smile

Maybe that's why no one licensed it. It's hard to market and therefore no one wants it.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Of the 9 or 10 eps of Naruto that I have seen the only thing I'm REALLY concerned about when it is licensed, is the "Sexy no Jitsu" technique that Naruto does all the time it seems, there's no way in hell CN could get away with showing that on Toonami/Miguzi, so to me, for that reason alone, naruto would HAVE to be shown on Adult Swim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
Of the 9 or 10 eps of Naruto that I have seen the only thing I'm REALLY concerned about when it is licensed, is the "Sexy no Jitsu" technique that Naruto does all the time it seems, there's no way in hell CN could get away with showing that on Toonami/Miguzi, so to me, for that reason alone, naruto would HAVE to be shown on Adult Swim.

They CAN do Sexy no Jutsu on Toonami/Miguzi, didn't anyone watch Tenchii Muyo when it was on CN? They'll just give the her a digital bikini and everything will be alright
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
They CAN do Sexy no Jutsu on Toonami/Miguzi, didn't anyone watch Tenchii Muyo when it was on CN? They'll just give the her a digital bikini and everything will be alright

Having a naked character isn't all there is to it. For Naruto it's also about how he uses it and how the guys react to it. A young boy making himself look like a woman to suduce/trick men just isn't going to work on Toonami no mater how much red paint they use. Most of the nudity in Tenchi comes from the hot springs scenes and some stuff with Ryoko (which I seem to remember was also edited). It's just not quite the same thing.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Maybe that's why no one licensed it. It's hard to market and therefore no one wants it.

One of a few factors, probably. That and I heard the licensing fee for Naruto is going to be in the millions of dollars.. >.<; No one wants to risk the huge amount of money right now.

Emerje wrote:
Having a naked character isn't all there is to it. For Naruto it's also about how he uses it and how the guys react to it. A young boy making himself look like a woman to suduce/trick men just isn't going to work on Toonami no mater how much red paint they use. Most of the nudity in Tenchi comes from the hot springs scenes and some stuff with Ryoko (which I seem to remember was also edited). It's just not quite the same thing.

Very true.. forgot about that, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
R.G.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:

My point exactly.If Naruto is ever shown on AS,it's because of the "Sexy No Jutsu/Ninja Centerfold".

Among other things,of course.
R.G.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
Anime_Freak wrote:

Possible,but not likely.
Magus Darkstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
and, unlike One Piece, has swords, shuriken, and other sharp, pointy things that make people bleed.

Just curious, but have you actually WATCHED One Piece?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
This news about them cancelling Detective Conan pisses me off, to an extent I haven't been since they cancelled Lupin. They did the same ****ing thing they did with Lupin: give it a horrible time slot, then proceed to jump around it's airing time. It was death for Lupin, so why in the hell did they think it would equal success for Conan?

I'm really starting to ****ing hate them.

I thinking hating them is a bit much; they've given us lots of great anime over the years, and also a talking box of french fries. Anyway, what really annoys me about Conan is that the last episode aired on AS ends just before what looks like a major plot twist. Plot-relevant episodes of Conan are insanley rare and yet CN ends it on this episode? Grrrrr.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:21 am Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:

Yeah, and show me scientific evidence that you can get plastered and drunk on TEA.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 am Reply with quote
Magus Darkstar wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
and, unlike One Piece, has swords, shuriken, and other sharp, pointy things that make people bleed.

Just curious, but have you actually WATCHED One Piece?

Yes, I have, and while One Piece does have some swords and stuff (as per pirate tradition), all the main characters with the exception of Zoro avoid swords, and no one gets cut up that much, meaning that it can be edited based on standards established when DBZ was airing.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:05 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
To tell the truth, I'm not really surprised Conan got cancelled. FUNimation saw how well DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho were doing, figured that they could market any other 100+ episode show as .

Honestly, I think FUNi knew that it wouldn't do more than the initial 50 episodes on CN. Why else would they have released the future seasons subsequently? Doing that wouldn't make CN happy if CN were hoping to air those episodes... so by that login FUNi didn't expect CN to want those episodes.

Pure conjecture on my part.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7