• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Unicorn to Have English Dub, 5-Language Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Gundam 00 had a stellar dub. PROVE ME WRONG!

You just challenged me to disprove an opinion. This is the most retarded thing I have read on the internet, congrats.

In my opinion, the acting is wooden, a lot of the cast is miscast (Shirin sounds like an eighty year old, Sergei is painful to listen to, Scott McNeil plays thirty random extras in addition to Ali), and the script is often misleading and varied.

It's one of Ocean's worst dubs to date, even considering Dragon Ball Z.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Gundam 00 had a stellar dub. PROVE ME WRONG!

You just challenged me to disprove an opinion. This is the most retarded thing I have read on the internet, congrats.

In my opinion, the acting is wooden, a lot of the cast is miscast (Shirin sounds like an eighty year old, Sergei is painful to listen to, Scott McNeil plays thirty random extras in addition to Ali), and the script is often misleading and varied.

It's one of Ocean's worst dubs to date, even considering Dragon Ball Z.

To be fair the original Japanese track had bad dialogue in general so that's not so much the script's fault. There were also poor performances on both parts particularly Yōko Honna as Sumeragi and Masako Jou rendition as Allelejuah was less than stellar (though given how his character went that's not surprising)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
Hmm...This seems really poorly thought out. For starters, who will be doing the dub? Without an R1 company involved, will they contract out to an American studio or produce it themselves? The latter sounds like a fantastically bad idea.

Also, why isn't the DVD got the dub? If they're producing one, it kind of feels like they're fleecing dub fans by only putting it on the BD. I'm not willing to pay extra for BD but I'm not going to pay for a sub only DVD (when the dub exists).

Then there's the question of price. I'm pretty hesitant to pay for only 50 minutes of content at the normal North American DVD price, let alone the insane, Japanese prices. How are they going to make this work? This all seems like a train wreck in the making.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
Masako Jou rendition as Allelejuah was less than stellar (though given how his character went that's not surprising)

He was better than Richard Cox. Cox was a decent Hal, but his scratchy voice didn't suit Al.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
Alright, let's try and stop the arguing about Gundam 00's dub, this isn't even a thread about that one. Plus, that's all a matter of opinion. There is no proving one right or proving one wrong because you both saw the same dub, but one perceived it far different from the other. It's a pointless battle and it's really just dragging the thread away from its actual point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gohmifune

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
The summary didn't say anything about a NA release. Where do you guys get that from? It seems to me that the dub is for anglophones outside of Japan to import seeing as we are the same region, that is why there isn't an English track on the DVD. I would imagine that would be extra sound mixing to boot.

It mentions overseas, but doesn't say where overseas.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why there's so much animosity over this. It's essentially the perfect release: Simultaneous (not the "2 weeks later" that streaming companies seems to think is the same thing), subbed, dubbed for those who still listen to them, and on BD with decent video quality.
Will it be expensive to import? EVERYTHING is expensive to import.
I hope that more R2j (or BD-Aj I guess) releases include at least multiple sub tracks. The extra expense is minimal compared to dubbing, and definitely less effort than trying to produce localised discs via licensing. Gundam Unicorn may be a bad example, as it's pretty much guaranteed to sell outside of Japan, but if this became standard practice then a lot of series that would otherwise never get licensed would be a whole lot more accessible.
Mytopia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
This is wonderful news, and really is the perfect release. You have all you want on a brand-new OVA, based on one of the most critically acclaimed Gundam stories in recent years. We're getting to see the collaboration of an absolutely amazing list of animation staff, which promises to be absolutely stellar. Hell, I'd pay 10 times over the normal price for this.
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
bleachigo66 wrote:
I wish Gundam would take a break so I could catch up on all the dvds! Wink

And that's only if you're watching the legitimate stuff, you still have 4 seasons on stuff you can't get on DVD.

Lots of people import DVDs and BDs from Japan all over the world; it's not a rare concept at all.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
So this show has a Char rip-off too huh....

lame name, lame design.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
It's about time! I've always thought that it would be in the animations companies best interest to have at least a sub on there domestic releases. I know there are rules imposed by the DVD and Bluray people that prevent them from directly distributing the disc to other countries, but adding multi language is going to skyrocket there export sales. Way to go Bandai for finally getting it right. To bad DVD and BR are about to be trashed for online and streaming Razz
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
The Blu-Ray is gonna have multiple dubs for various reasons, 1) The extra space on Blu-Ray allows the extra audio tracks without compromises (although multiple audio tracks can be put on DVD), 2) Blu-Ray is a format in which Japan and North America share the same region coding, encouraging North American importers if a North American based release is staggered, where as DVDs are region-locked to specific regions and 3) the most popular Blu-Ray equiped player, the PlayStation 3, is region-free, allowing possible worldwide importers.

Due to the price I'd expect the Blu-Ray to be from Japan, I'd probably check out a few episodes on the PSN granted they're for a decent price, and available in HD. As well as English.

Lowlife187 wrote:
To bad DVD and BR are about to be trashed for online and streaming Razz

Lol if you think that's true at all.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Seems like they're trying to force us Gundam otaku to convert to Blu-ray.

You shouldn't need to be forced. You should want Gundam on Blu-Ray, especially since this will doubtlessly be a new HD production.

ikillchicken wrote:
Hmm...This seems really poorly thought out. For starters, who will be doing the dub? Without an R1 company involved, will they contract out to an American studio or produce it themselves? The latter sounds like a fantastically bad idea.

Well, I would be saying that too if they hadn't already done something like this with Kurokami.

gohmifune wrote:
The summary didn't say anything about a NA release. Where do you guys get that from?

I was just thinking the same thing.

edzieba wrote:
It's essentially the perfect release: Simultaneous (not the "2 weeks later" that streaming companies seems to think is the same thing), subbed, dubbed for those who still listen to them, and on BD with decent video quality.
Will it be expensive to import? EVERYTHING is expensive to import.
I hope that more R2j (or BD-Aj I guess) releases include at least multiple sub tracks.

I definitely agree. Especially because so far there's still a good number of show that either aren't licensed in America yet, or only have BD releases in Japan that I'd love to buy if that were the case.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Finally we English-speaking consumers get a chance to live the otaku experience. Excellent. I hope more Blu-ray releases get this sort of treatment...and more shows get released on Blu-ray, of course.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
gohmifune wrote:
It mentions overseas, but doesn't say where overseas.

Previous reports proclaimed this would be released 'around the world', but one assumes this implies little more than a small multitude of countries enjoying simultaneous releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
houkoholic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
3) the most popular Blu-Ray equiped player, the PlayStation 3, is region-free, allowing possible worldwide importers.

Incorrect. The PS3 is region-free *only for games* (but companies can still implement a software region code in the games). The BD playback section is most definitely region coded and locked.

My father had the misfortune of buying a Region A disk in Hong Kong for his Australian PS3, which is coded Region B.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4