• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Must have, must see anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll just let your lack of exposure slide and have your awesome journalistic integrity continue for the sake of ANN. God bless andstuff.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I guess I'll just let your lack of exposure slide and have your awesome journalistic integrity continue for the sake of ANN. God bless andstuff.

I'm not sure if I should take your words as a praise, an insult, or both. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tarheel91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop is the only anime I consider an absolute must watch. Not only for its historical significance (as one of the main shows that popularized anime in the US), but also because it's just so damn good. It's a show you can enjoy even if you're not a fan of the genre because it's so technically brilliant. The character development, animation, art direction, it's flawless use of the spoiler[Aristotelian tragedy], music, etc. It's like the Pride and Prejudice of anime: one can appreciate it for the way it approaches technical perfection within its genre (i.e. novel or anime).

I also think one needs to watch at least ONE Miyazaki movie for very similar reasons: their effect on anime in the US and the masterful storytelling.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

I'm not sure if I should take your words as a praise, an insult, or both. Rolling Eyes

It's supposed to be a compliment, but you can take it however you want. Though if you react like that to every compliment you receive you have some self esteem issues.
otaku-king

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
tarheel91 wrote:
Cowboy Bebop is the only anime I consider an absolute must watch

Hmm
Cowboy Bebop is definitely a great series, but I'm not sure that its really fair to say that it is the ONLY must-watch series out there. It has incredible style and flow, but the plot is often found to be lacking.

Furthermore, it is too difficult to pick ONE series that is a must-watch.
So, these are series I would say no collection would be complete without:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
- This series is both exceptionally executed and psychologically disturbing, while still being perfectly addicting. It is the series that leaves you with the most to think about, and will leave you questioning everything.

Gurren Lagann
- This is an incredible series. Its just amazing. The characters are incredible and the story is amazing. i'm sorry my reasoning isn't more coherent, but tis series is just too exceptional to be properly explained. Just WATCH IT

I could go on and on mentioning Code Geass, Elfen Lied, maybe even Clannad, but the fact is, no anime is right for everybody, no matter how popular it is.

I happen to know people who would honestly insist that Pokemon is a better-done anime than Evangelion, which just goes to show that there probably isn't one series that is universally unmissable.
Hikikomori Safari

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Well I'd have to choose something that's not based on nostalgia or it's contribution to anime history.

I think if you are a fan of the medium you should really check out Kara no Kyoukai - Garden of Sinners. This is what we wish all anime looked like. Just amazing detail and effort into every scene. Photo realistic backrounds and such beautiful fluid animation. Such wonderful direction and choices of scenes. Take all that and add in an interesting story, wonderful characters and a mature setting. Great choices and use of music throughout the entire collection, it really does everything well. Certainly not a title for beginners and will leave some struggling to understand especially when dealing with the time differences between movies.

The only other thing I'd consider a must see would be Paprika. This is the type of story that should be animated. Using dreams and the abstract to create new worlds, it's just fascinating. Overall it's just an amazing experience and always worth watching again to look into the little details. The parade song gets me every time, it's so damn catchy. Just so fun and enjoyable.
otaku-king

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Hikikomori Safari wrote:
The only other thing I'd consider a must see would be Paprika.

YES
oh god yes.

This was an amaaaaazing movie.
The art is incredible and its just such a great viewing experience.
Haha
ya - the parade scene is great
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3