• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-03-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Then there's the VAs who never did anime, as far as I know, like Phil LaMarr who have a range like no others.

He's done anime where there's been US money involved in the production (Animatrix, Afro Samurai), which I believe means you have to pay a higher rate to your actors than simply dubbing foreign material. Once you are doing that, then you suddenly have a bigger pool of talent available to you.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Have you been watching too much of the dub?

I watched the dvds with my daughter who refused to watch the dub. Even shows I watch in English, I watch with the subtitles up to compare the scripts so the issue would be how accurate the subtitles are.

penguintruth wrote:

Vegeta wasn't taken hostage. Vegeta loves to kill people. Vegeta would have been just as brutally cruel had Freeza never graced the Saiyans with his presence. He's a monster. He just happened to be training to kill even better when his planet was destroyed.

Not to mention, King Vegeta attacked Freeza not even knowing (or probably caring) where his son was. Saiyans are not sentimental people.

That's not what I remember & I watched Vegeta's death several times. There's also a movie which I know isn't canon, but I recall Vegeta in the manga as being a bit more than the 1 dimensional creature you're making him out to be.

The political hostage idea is fairly common in manga & anime, though it isn't always spelled out. It just popped up in Blackbird Vol 3 released by Viz his month.

If I weren't terminally backed up, I'd watch it again & give you the eps that dispute your theory. I'm in the middle of the latest One Piece, & then I have Case Closed, Night Head Genesis, Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles Season 1 & the rest of Gundam 0083 to watch

Charred Knight wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Funimation likes to think their scripts are witty and clever, but they're not. They need to stop thinking they're creative. The stories and characters have already been provided for them. If Funimation wants to be creative, they should produce their own cartoons.

Can't disagree with you more, Sgt. Frog is much better in english than it is in Japanese, just because it makes the incomprehensible episodes actually make sense. The two I am thinking about is the beach episode and the one where it;s a parody of an 80's live action series.

Humor is hard between different places (not even just between countries), but overall I prefer the Japanese side. I dislike several of the character changes they've made.
I am very grateful Funi brought it over. They're getting my money so they shouldn't care whether I listen to it in Japanese or English

Last edited by CCSYueh on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote
I'm not making Vegeta out to be one-dimensional, he just doesn't have the other dimensions where you're looking for them. His extra dimensions comes from the fact that he constantly fails to meet his own expectations for himself. Ever since he met Goku it's been a downward spiral because of his immense pride. If he can't be number one, it's like he's nothing.

As far as developing into a more open person, or whatever else he finally became, you have to look into the later story arcs. This is why, even though it's otherwise pretty worthless, the Buu arc is good for Vegeta's development.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
sirkoala13 wrote:
I'm so happy! For the second time, he chose my answer!

Did not print my response = FAIL!!!!

I thought the last letter should've been a flake. Who would specifically need a famous manga artist, other than someone already involved in the manga/anime industry? If you just need some manga-style art for your product, there are plenty of good artists in every country around the world. (A talented girl called Flarey did great chibi drawing of me at a convention, just yesterday.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3