• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Lists Kekkaishi's U.S. TV Premiere in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Out of all the series Adult Swim could have picked up this was the one. Not Inuyasha, not Soul Eater but Kekkaishi. Is it just me or does Adult Swim anime aquisitions usually make no sense.

I'm not too surprised. They moved Inu Yasha to 4/5 in the morning, it didn't surprise me that they didn't license Inu Yasha: The Final Act for Adult Swim. There is still a chance for it, but if they don't I won't be surprised.

It seems to me like Adult Swim's not that big on anime, not that I'm complaining.

Quote:
Oh God, please please PLEASE no. No, no, a thousand times NO. Don't let it be so, AS. Anime hyper

I am with you 100% on this. But I would be surprised if Adult Swim decides to air Vampire Knight, as VK sounds like something AS would make fun of.

Last edited by Youkai Warrior on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Huh, never heard of it. Therefore, can't say I'll bother watching it.

Seems like a waste. =/
luhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they figure they'll take a chance on something that wasn't very popular in fansubs, which means not a lot of people have already seen it. I still don't think it is a good fit, though. It really is a kids show.

Soul Eater is playing on the Funimation Channel VOD pay-per-view on my cable system, so it seemed like a long shot for it to suddenly show up on Adult Swim.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I'm not familiar with this anime but I might give it a try. I too, was hoping for Soul Eater or Inuyasha. As for Vampire Knight, not a chance, cause it's shojo; as for being on Disney, I don't see that happening. They'd not only have to edit out the blood but the part where spoiler[it's revealed that Kaname is Yuuki's brother, and he does tell her that. Note to Kaname fans, let's not get into an argument about whether or not he is, because regardless of what you believe, it is in the dialogue.] But that's not until the second season. spoiler[And yes, folks, she's still in love with him.] And not to mention the neckbiting between two certain male vampires. Very Happy

Naruto's on Disney. Not to mention the Lion King, so Disney's no stranger to incest.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really into watching anime on TV, but I'll check out the first couple of episodes since I've had my eyes on this show for about a year. Too bad it's Viz because I don't exactly like the way they handle things (pricey, long waiting times between releases, fear of a drop).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Good news. Kekkaishi is good stuff, particularly the second half of the series once the Kokuburou arc starts. The frontended filler is pretty kiddy, but the rest of it is damn good and fits reasonably well on AS. Not the strangest thing that'd ever have been on it, to be sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if Soul Eater was the final one though. That or Darker than Black.

And... Kekkaishi isn't really Inuyasha minus time travel.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Dragonpiece wrote:
Good to hear, sadly that leaves our next one to be the obvious Inuyasha. Also in case you wanna know Vampire Knight is rumored to come to disney
Disney X-D, like Naruto Shippuden? That's weird... odd news, thanks for sharing.

Anyways... Maybe they'll launch "Kekkaishi" with the new "Bleach" episodes, which would be sweet because I'm having some serious "Bleach" withdrawal symptoms right now (I can't watch fan subs because they kill the industry and plus: I don't like the original Japanese for "Bleach").
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Kekkaishi sounds like a good idea--I don't think it'll draw in a lot of viewers, and if it does bad in the ratings, it'll discourage as from showing more anime. Either way, they should ADVERTISE their anime, or else they shouldn't use this "low ratings" excuse. Plus, in the past, adult swim had some REALLY cool promos for anime.

I doubt they'll air Vampire Knight--adult swim doesn't have a lot of female viewers.

I'd actually love it if they aired Darker than Black or When They Cry. They both fit in with the line up, and they could draw in more fans/boost DVD sales--that could help the 2nd seasons and OVAs come out.
animeroxsmysoxs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Dragonpiece wrote:
Good to hear, sadly that leaves our next one to be the obvious Inuyasha. Also in case you wanna know Vampire Knight is rumored to come to disney

To come to Disney?! WTF!
I hoping they show Vampire Knight on TV but not on Disney!
SoandSo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Handy tip for seeing if you'll enjoy Kekkaishi:

Has Inuyasha single-handedly obliterated your tolerance for the word "Barrier?" Because there is going to be a LOT of that. It's the main gimmick; a group of apprentice monks, complete with jive-talkin' inugami familiars, ward off hordes of youkai from a high school/ancient burial ground almost exclusively with barriers. BARRIERS GALORE!!! Barriers to the left, barriers to the right, barriers up and down and all night. For 51 episodes...
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
^While I haven't watched much of Inuyasha (catch an episode every now and then), I do play a lot Pokemon and it pisses me off when they throw up a barrier (or Light Screen). Is that the same thing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
I'm not familiar with this anime but I might give it a try. I too, was hoping for Soul Eater or Inuyasha. As for Vampire Knight, not a chance, cause it's shojo; as for being on Disney, I don't see that happening. They'd not only have to edit out the blood but the part where spoiler[it's revealed that Kaname is Yuuki's brother, and he does tell her that. Note to Kaname fans, let's not get into an argument about whether or not he is, because regardless of what you believe, it is in the dialogue.] But that's not until the second season. spoiler[And yes, folks, she's still in love with him.] And not to mention the neckbiting between two certain male vampires. Very Happy

Naruto's on Disney. Not to mention the Lion King, so Disney's no stranger to incest.

Incest in Lion King? It's been awhile since I've seen it but I don't remember that. But I'm not worried, I doubt VK's in any danger of coming to Disney. The series may seem a lot like Twilight but it's darker and more intense than most people realize. I should know; I keep up with the latest chapters. Even if it came to Disney, I wouldn't watch it because I know they'd have to edit it quite a bit.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I don't think Kekkaishi sounds like a good idea--I don't think it'll draw in a lot of viewers, and if it does bad in the ratings, it'll discourage as from showing more anime. Either way, they should ADVERTISE their anime, or else they shouldn't use this "low ratings" excuse. Plus, in the past, adult swim had some REALLY cool promos for anime.

I doubt they'll air Vampire Knight--adult swim doesn't have a lot of female viewers.

I'd actually love it if they aired Darker than Black or When They Cry. They both fit in with the line up, and they could draw in more fans/boost DVD sales--that could help the 2nd seasons and OVAs come out.

Even if Kekkaishi doesn't do as well I sincerely doubt it'll discourage Adult Swim from anything. They already sparingly show anime as it is and the fact that they don't advertise is for the obvious reason that they don't put much priority on anime anyway because they don't get as much ratings as the comedies. And fyi it isn't that adult swim doesn't have many female viewers (I'm sure they have their fair share - as I am a female myself) it's that their core demographic is male. Males from 18-34 are what they aim for so airing something like Vampire Knight wouldn't make sense for satisfying this demographic.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
^While I haven't watched much of Inuyasha (catch an episode every now and then), I do play a lot Pokemon and it pisses me off when they throw up a barrier (or Light Screen). Is that the same thing?

The barriers here are primarily for trapping things inside. Or protection, or jumping off of, or any number of possible things you could do with barriers. It's like a guy got an idea for a tv show after a long, sugar-addled binge of launching their action figures off of and into a collection of building blocks. Just intend to hear about barriers a whole damn lot. And cake(long story.)
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Crystal wrote:

Even if Kekkaishi doesn't do as well I sincerely doubt it'll discourage Adult Swim from anything. They already sparingly show anime as it is and the fact that they don't advertise is for the obvious reason that they don't put much priority on anime anyway because they don't get as much ratings as the comedies. And fyi it isn't that adult swim doesn't have many female viewers (I'm sure they have their fair share - as I am a female myself) it's that their core demographic is male. Males from 18-34 are what they aim for so airing something like Vampire Knight wouldn't make sense for satisfying this demographic.

I agree on the discouragement, Botherhood has been rolling in ratings ranging from 330k-370k viewers, they're not about to drop it because it's only making one third the ratings their comedies do.

Now were it LESS than that, I wouldn't be shocked if they were becoming doubtful of anime's ratings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6