• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - One Love

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razzuel

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Erin, if you enjoyed Sasameki Koto, then you definitely need to watch Aoi Hana, which is also streamable on Crunchyroll.

I quite enjoyed Sasameki Koto, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Aoi Hana. The anime cliches in Sasameki Koto sort of spoil some of the more serious and dramatic moments, although some of those cliched moments were funny and enjoyable like the pool episode as you mentioned.

I enjoyed Aoi Hana more because it's much more serious and much more realistic in its writing, tone, and presentation. Also, I thought J.C. Staff did an amazing job animating it; not only was the show's story beautiful, but the characters and the backgrounds looked absolutely beautiful as well.

neocloud9 wrote:
I hope Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana get licensed someday, I'd love to see them.

I agree; I thoroughly enjoyed both shows, and I would love to own them. I don't mind streaming, but it just isn't as permanent as a DVD. Sometime in the future I am going to want to re-watch these shows, and there's no guarantee that these streams will still be available.

I think Nozomi would be fit to license these.

I've contemplated importing the Japanese DVDs, but I don't know if I want to put myself through the torture of creating my own DVDs with subtitles from the Japanese DVDs.
Raneth

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm amused by all the people here who say that DBZ is only enjoyable if you're a 12-14 year old. Why? I'm 23. I recently rewatched DBZ as a way to de stress from graduate school studies.

You know what? I fell in love with it all over again. I know that it's low budget, I realize that the pacing is designed to be slow, but as I was rewatching the Sayain and Freiza sagas, I did not want any of the episodes to end, and I would end up marathoning it long past the time I should have returned to studying (or sleeping, as the case may be). I re-experienced the thrill I felt all those years ago watching it as a kid. I love Vegeta's over the top machismo, Goku's nimrod silliness, and Gohan's steady growth. Maybe I'm just crazy or have really immature tastes, but I found that I had more fun rewatching DBZ than I've had watching any anime in a long time.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Your reason for learning Japanese is something about a moth, and being polite in a kitchen? That's one translation sit I'm never going back to.
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
Sasameki dedicates an entire episode to Masaki's younger sister (age 12) who is unhealthily obsessed with taking pictures of her older brother dressed as a girl and posting them on the internet. She even hits on her brother. At one point she falls on top of him and says "Sometimes I can barely contain myself!" That episode made my skin scrawl.

Yep.

After watching Aoi Hana, in comparison Sasemiki Koto feels like a long stream of BS that you watch to kill time. Despite that, it's still a nice and enjoyable Yuri series for what it is.

When it comes to yuri/shojo-ai series: Sasameki Koto is beer, Aoi Hana is wine. Mariaholic is LSD. If you go into Sasameki Koto expecting the typical hot-house yuri girls' school with angst all around, yes you will be disappointed. If you recognize a silly, slapstick comedy that is (usually) respectful of its main characters' emotions, it's easy to enjoy.

Incidentally, Crunchyroll still has both Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto in their catalog. Looks like they bought a long-term streaming license rather than just for the season when they were "simulcasting" them. You can read my full reviews of both series there.
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Wait, when had DBZ never been not popular in Japan in the past ten years? I was walking by construction site today and there was a banner with Gohan and Goku saying 'be careful'.

It's still more popular than Naruto, maybe as much as One Piece, but you find a lot of One Piece/DBZ crossover merchandise too.

As for its baffling, mind-boggling popularity: it's awesome. The end.
braves

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Wait, when had DBZ never been not popular in Japan in the past ten years? I was walking by construction site today and there was a banner with Gohan and Goku saying 'be careful'.
Yeah, that sentence threw me off for a second; it just isn't true. There is a reason that Toei decided to remaster, re-record and re-air the Z portion of Dragon Ball and not the first TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
sirkoala13 wrote:
Your reason for learning Japanese is something about a moth, and being polite in a kitchen? That's one translation sit I'm never going back to.

You could suggest a correction... Wink

braves wrote:
Wooga wrote:
Yeah, that sentence threw me off for a second; it just isn't true. There is a reason that Toei decided to remaster, re-record and re-air the Z portion of Dragon Ball and not the first TV series.

The Funimation guys sometimes brag that DBZ does even better in America than in Japan. I didn't mean to imply that DBZ is no longer popular, just that it might be even more popular here. Granted, we have a larger population. Maybe it was just that some of the later sequels did better here than in Japan.
braves

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah, okay, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It astounded me that it took an entire month to defeat Freeza (and I started mid-Freeza Saga).

I wished. That month wasn't just to defeat him, it was the last 6 minutes of Namek... during which he finally defeated him. It kinda puts jokes about 2-minute warnings taking half an hour to shame.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
I wished. That month wasn't just to defeat him, it was the last 6 minutes of Namek... during which he finally defeated him. It kinda puts jokes about 2-minute warnings taking half an hour to shame.

Hmmm... the One Piece set I reviewed had a dozen or more episodes covering 40 minutes of time. I think there are jokes to be made, or timers, or timezones...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
sirkoala13 wrote:

Better than the translation I got, I mistyped a character and got "the reason is the feather hill city cord."

I tired an episode of Sasemiki Koto but it was so different from Aoi Hana that I didn't really like it. Too boistorous I suppose and it felt like it was a yuri love story since that was what was hot right now, opposed to Aoi Hana where you didn't question why the girls were lesbians, it was better written in.
But, to whoever asked, it's also streaming on CR so I guess a lot of us will be checking it out now huh?
ankoku22

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Quote:
It astounded me that it took an entire month to defeat Freeza (and I started mid-Freeza Saga).

That whole thing was rather long, but at least when it was first run in the States, it aired Monday-Friday. In Japan, the show aired once a week. That'd make the whole Goku/Freeza battle... hmm... maybe half a year? Very Happy
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
ankoku22 wrote:
I don't want to appear morbid, but I'd have preferred if spoiler[Pell actually died. His sacrifice would have meant more (to me, at least) if he had.] That doesn't stop me from enjoying the set, though.

Yeah, what was up with that? It's like that one Naruto arc where spoiler[Choji clearly died, only to bring him back to life later]...

Yeah, that's one of my pet peeves about shonen manga (in particular the popular WSJ series) in general. spoiler[No one ever dies, at least permanently. It takes away the meaning and impact of the earlier scenes and weakens later ones.]
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
ankoku22 wrote:
bglassbrook wrote:
Quote:

That whole thing was rather long, but at least when it was first run in the States, it aired Monday-Friday. In Japan, the show aired once a week. That'd make the whole Goku/Freeza battle... hmm... maybe half a year? Very Happy

I remember feeling sorry for the Japanese audience when I first watched DBZ and thought about the fact that we got five episodes a week and they got one. I'd say that it's a true testament to both both DBZ and shonen manga in general if they can drag something out for so long and people still watch it.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
It's what they're more or less doing with the current One Piece episodes, so yes, long running Shounen series's do have that staying power. These particular episodes of DBZ certainly weren't the strongest display of the series, but for the most part, a good chunk of the Cell arc is just like that. Long and episodic, with a lots of screen panning and self pondering. Nothing new really. Naruto Shippudden in its earlier parts were also guilty of this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6