• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ōkami-san & Her Seven Companions (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Was nice to see some story and info on other members of the Otogi Bank. Also happy the narrator cut back a lot this episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Aw, cute and enjoyable episode. I disagree that this show is "exceedingly average." I think it's a few cuts above that. Mind you, I love tsunderes and evil lolis, so I may be a bit prejudiced...
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Okay I give up. I can't figure out who the maid and wizard chick are suppose to parody. Also the president and vice-president, I guess Alice is suppose to be Alice in wonderland at some point but I'm also guessing they are also suppose to be that tale about the ant and the grasshopper? I'm basing that off of the ending credits for that one.

Also Blood-, I believe episode 2's tale was an inversion of the wolf in sheep's clothing fable. In this case its a sheep in wolf's clothing with the sheep being Okami; given how the narrator kept talking about clothing or skin or whatever. Then phobia guy being the hunter from all the stories like someone already pointed out. Episode 3 is a that tale about Urashima Taro and the turtle princess thingy as well as the tortoise versus the hare if all the visualizations weren't clear enough. I liked how Taro didn't end up being the "unfatihful flirt" guy you'd assume he would have been.

I'm enjoying the series. I don't think its a big a disappoint as people are making it out to be. I think its well done. Not "best of season" level but still a good series so far. I enjoyed the narrator in ep. 3 too. She wasn't as intrusive as she was in ep. 2. It's been a pretty fun series to watch so far. And its kind of funny the episode Terrier appreciated the most so far is the heavy fanservice one. But story-wise it was nice how they worked in the fairy tale element with the character development and backstory.

Also does the ending song remind anyone else of Ranma 1/2 style endings?
Taco-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying this series so far. I am in love with the art style and although the characters are archetypes I think there is a sense of fun and such that sets it apart from other series. I think the story is interesting so far, and I really loved episode 3. I don't think it will be a favorite, but certainly something I will look forward to watching each week. It keeps me coming back for more.

: )
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Okay I give up. I can't figure out who the maid and wizard chick are suppose to parody. Also the president and vice-president, I guess Alice is suppose to be Alice in wonderland at some point but I'm also guessing they are also suppose to be that tale about the ant and the grasshopper? I'm basing that off of the ending credits for that one.

Also Blood-, I believe episode 2's tale was an inversion of the wolf in sheep's clothing fable. In this case its a sheep in wolf's clothing with the sheep being Okami; given how the narrator kept talking about clothing or skin or whatever. Then phobia guy being the hunter from all the stories like someone already pointed out. Episode 3 is a that tale about Urashima Taro and the turtle princess thingy as well as the tortoise versus the hare if all the visualizations weren't clear enough. I liked how Taro didn't end up being the "unfatihful flirt" guy you'd assume he would have been.

I'm enjoying the series. I don't think its a big a disappoint as people are making it out to be. I think its well done. Not "best of season" level but still a good series so far. I enjoyed the narrator in ep. 3 too. She wasn't as intrusive as she was in ep. 2. It's been a pretty fun series to watch so far. And its kind of funny the episode Terrier appreciated the most so far is the heavy fanservice one. But story-wise it was nice how they worked in the fairy tale element with the character development and backstory.

Truthfully, I still don't know why a "mad scientist" or maid are even in a show like this. One, I don't know who they are parodying and two it just doesn't make much sense. I get that the maid is there to help out with the tea and snacks, but the mad scientist seems really out of place.

I know the main character has to fight people, but making new inventions and improving them seems to fit a action show, not really a slice of life show. Granted, I like the two better than the narrator (please, for the love of cheese and the show, talk only once in a while.) and the miniature Ringo (the mother in law types get really annoying quick.)

Oh well, I still enjoy the series, it's not masterpiece quality, but it is better than the other shows that came out this year and isn't at all creepy.
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Truthfully, I still don't know why a "mad scientist" or maid are even in a show like this. One, I don't know who they are parodying and two it just doesn't make much sense. I get that the maid is there to help out with the tea and snacks, but the mad scientist seems really out of place.

I don't really see the mad scientist as out of place, because to me it doesn't seem like the ordinary rules of people apply to this anime and I'm all the happier for accepting it. I don't mind if this series stays at somewhere between romcom and fluff to be honest; fluff is fine. I'm enjoying it so what the hey.

I'd also disagree with those who say it isn't one of the best of the season; honestly I'm not too impressed with the other series out this season. Highschool of the Dead, this and Shiki are the only titles that really have me going and until they get a bit further in I'm not really inclined to pick a favourite. I remember people throwing the generic card at Toradora when it came out, and look at how it ended up. For the moment this show is hitting enough of the right buttons for me to having it sit on the good side of the fence.

It also kind of helps when the lead character is my favourite type; ie not tsundere enough to be annoying, just enough to be cute. Reminds me a bit of Ayuzawa in Kaichou wa Maid-sama. Definitely makes a show easier to watch when you take a liking to the characters off the bat, imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larethian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
TatsuGero23 wrote:

I know the main character has to fight people, but making new inventions and improving them seems to fit a action show, not really a slice of life show. Granted, I like the two better than the narrator (please, for the love of cheese and the show, talk only once in a while.) and the miniature Ringo (the mother in law types get really annoying quick.)

Oh well, I still enjoy the series, it's not masterpiece quality, but it is better than the other shows that came out this year and isn't at all creepy.

Regarding the parodying & modeling, this is what I got from the Japanese wiki (not sure whether these are spoilers; don't think they are but I'll put in spoiler tags anyway); just listing the Otogi Bank's characters though other side characters are models/parodies as well:

spoiler[
Ryōko Ōkami: the Wolf from "The Little Red Riding Hood". Liar liar liar.

Ryōshi Morino: the Hunter from "The Little Red Riding Hood", who got the Wolf in the end.

Ringo Akai: Little Red Riding Hood herself.

Liszt Kiriki: the Grasshopper from "The Ant And The Grasshopper". -> He does no work usually (Grasshopper plays all summer).

Alice Kiriki: the Ant from "The Ant And The Grasshopper". -> She does all the work usually (Ant works in summer to prepare for winter).

Otsuu Tsurugaya: the Crane from "The Grateful Crane Wife" -> FYI Tsuru means crane. Likes to return favors (the Crane wife produces valuable cloth for the guy who rescues her)

Tarō Urashima: the fisherman (same name) who rescued a turtle and rewarded for this with a visit to the Palace of the Dragon God.

Otohime Ryūgū: the turtle in the same story as Tarō Urashima, who is really a princess by the name of Otohime in the Palace.

Majolica le Fay: the witch, Morgan le Fay, from Arthurian legends.

]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
I was going to say that when I heard that the mad scientest's name is Majolica le Fay, then it seems to be an obvious reference to Morgan le Fay, a witch who often appears in King Arthur stories. As a character, perhaps she is meant to be an opposite force to the maid character, while the maid would be a sense of order for the characters, the mad scientest is more of a chaos.

Also I realised a few days ago that the good looking guy and girl was also one of the folk tales that was mentioned in the folk story episode of Kaichou wa Maid-sama. This was when the idiots had decided to ride a turtle after saving it. Well he mentioned he went on a journey for a year or something, which might have something to do with the girl as they both repeated.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh, thanks for all that larethian. I never would have figured out the crane one. Also didn't realize that was the wizard girl's name. Morgan la Fay seems obvious now.

I have to applaud the original light novel creator, or whoever is responsible, with connecting the "lying" part of the big bad wolf with the "denying" part of the tsundere character type. That was a good one. I'm also liking how they are expanding on the motifs that crossover between fables when they can like in episode 2 and 3.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 was pretty good, I had a few good laughs and it was good for back story stuff on the maid of the group Otsuu.

I found the Hansel and Gretel bit funny, wounder if we are going to get a episode with them down the line?

Over all I liked the fact by the end of the episode Otsuu changed a little, or at least now thinks of the group as friends / companions and not people to return favors to. Everyone in maid outfits wasn't bad ether.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Episode 4 was pretty good, I had a few good laughs and it was good for back story stuff on the maid of the group Otsuu.

I found the Hansel and Gretel bit funny, wounder if we are going to get a episode with them down the line?

Over all I liked the fact by the end of the episode Otsuu changed a little, or at least now thinks of the group as friends / companions and not people to return favors to. Everyone in maid outfits wasn't bad ether.

Maid outfits, well this episode is likely to be the deal breaker then. None the less, the last three episodes were good (admittedly, the second and third were much better than the first.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Well I am still enjoying the series so far, though I do keep getting the feeling that there is just one thing missing from makeing this a "great" anime, but can't quite pick it. Though I am still enjoying it and I look forward to it.

I am also quite enjoying the character Ringo now, I guess I enjoyed the fact she knew spoiler[all about the books, and the effort she put in. And that she Ookami is more innocent then her.]

Also I think we might have seen some more dere dere, though it is still funny in that a lot of the scenes where she is doing something she doesn't like, you can see a constant angry face, feels refreshing or something.

It is much easier now that I understand what everyone is meant to be from, especially when I can pick it out in the ED song, and the fact I knew Otsuu's made it easier in this episode.

The maid thing was enjoyable, spoiler[the slamming of the door did remind me of when Toma did it to alternate Index, but I probably shouldn't contribute that laugh.]

On the subject of Hansel and Gretel, I first spoiler[was thinking "aren't they brother and sister, and of course they were Shocked .]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well I am still enjoying the series so far, though I do keep getting the feeling that there is just one thing missing from makeing this a "great" anime, but can't quite pick it. Though I am still enjoying it and I look forward to it.

I am also quite enjoying the character Ringo now, I guess I enjoyed the fact she knew spoiler[all about the books, and the effort she put in. And that she Ookami is more innocent then her.]

Also I think we might have seen some more dere dere, though it is still funny in that a lot of the scenes where she is doing something she doesn't like, you can see a constant angry face, feels refreshing or something.

It is much easier now that I understand what everyone is meant to be from, especially when I can pick it out in the ED song, and the fact I knew Otsuu's made it easier in this episode.

The maid thing was enjoyable, spoiler[the slamming of the door did remind me of when Toma did it to alternate Index, but I probably shouldn't contribute that laugh.]

On the subject of Hansel and Gretel, I first spoiler[was thinking "aren't they brother and sister, and of course they were 8O .]

Agreed. Truthfully, I really am enjoying this series. The preview doesn't do this much series justice, nor does the first episode. But the characters aren't as typical as I thought they once would be.

The maid past was slightly surprising, but better than I initially thought. spoiler[I think that might mess any kid up seeing their friend sacrifice their life for them, even more if you felt like they were your brother. It was a bit sad, but at the same time, made sense why the maid acted as she did.]

I totally thought the spoiler[ author of the books would be a lady in her 40's-60's that would be a very kind old woman but would also know that Ookami was interested in Ryoushi. Didn't expect her to be his aunt, much less the author. Much less did I expect her to have a husband. ]

The maid part was at times hilarious and somewhat odd to see spoiler[ guys in maid uniforms.] Ringo finally has become less annoying and somewhat an interesting character. Though spoiler[ I am not surprised she knew about Ookami buying the book and the hiding spot. Though I wonder why she always carries a basket? I know she is a parody of Little Read Riding Hood, but why bring a basket if your just going to a friend's house? Better yet, why bring one if you don't have anything in it?]

Yet, I still wonder how in the world the president can see despite the fact he closes his eyes. I know that is a common trait in anime, but I've only heard it been explained once. In Full Metal Alchemist, with that price of Xia (?) it's been a while. Apparently he closes them because he looks scary else wise.

None the less, the series has gotten much, much better since the first episode. I look forward to the rest of the series. The character development certainly is worthy of praise.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I totally thought the spoiler[ author of the books would be a lady in her 40's-60's that would be a very kind old woman but would also know that Ookami was interested in Ryoushi. Didn't expect her to be his aunt, much less the author. Much less did I expect her to have a husband. ]

That kind of reminded me of the anime Sasameki Koto where spoiler[the identity of a romance novel author was even more surprising.] So I was not really surprised at it here.
Skylark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
I didn't really have a problem with episode 1 like everyone else, but the 2nd and 3rd were very good; and with the 4th I do like the plot development but honestly I am so sick of the french maid outfit thing. Kaichou wa Maid-sama I allow to get away with because it's the crux of the plot, and Misaki makes an ironic joke of it because she has nothing of a submissive personality in the slightest but dresses as a maid for work. But other than that I would be happy to see maid outfits leave anime and never show their ugly face again. I don't see what the appeal is, and they look even less attractive on real girls than they do on anime girls. It must be a really popular fetish to have garnered such a wide use in the medium on the whole, but really... can we have a series that doesn't have the compulsory maid outfit, swimsuit, bath house etc episodes? Please? I personally don't think a girl who goes to school every day in a maid outfit would have "fans" personally, but rather she would get bullied. A lot.

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. Anyways, this episode was great for character development at least, and Ookami-san, like her prototype Taiga, is proving to break out of the typical tsundere role; as indeed are her comrades, who are refreshingly different. I don't really consider Ookami to be Taiga v2 though. While I thought ep 4 was not as good as the first 3, this anime is still probably my most anticipated each week and will probably end up being my favourite of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8