• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satoshi Kon, His Wife, Madhouse Studio Write About His Passing

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
Part of me is glad that his final work will be completed but it's hard to be glad about anything in regards to this situation right now.

"Well, I'll be leaving now."
Satoshi Kon

Those are final words for the ages.

Last edited by ConanSan on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
toru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
toru: I kind of guessed they had to know in advance, because there was a significant period of time where that blog did not get updated. Plus, he said he shaved his head, and talked about being "reborn". I think someone told me when they had a similar scene in Princess Mononoke that it signifies leaving the living world in Japanese culture. But of course I didn't make that connection in this situation...So I'm actually surprised he kept up the charade this long, though, and very touched. That project must have meant the world to him. And he only joined Twitter recently, too. He must have really wanted to connect with his fans one last time. Truly a self-less and dedicated individual. Crying or Very sad

He said on his blog on Aug 6:
"思うところあって身辺整理をしている" It means "I'm doing personal life rearranging". "身辺整理" is very heavy and serious words in Japanese.
In his last message, he stares at the last of his life extremely calmly. He does not seem to feel fear. But he mentioned that when Madhause's Maruyama visited his house and said about The Dreaming Machine "It's all right. We do anything. Don't worry" Kon wept bitterly.

And he says "I was able to meet the people who said my fan in not only Japan but also various countries in the world."

Last edited by toru on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
PmChivas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
This is sad news indeed. Satoshi Kon was my favorite Japanese director/writer. I introduced so many people to anime using Perfect Blue. He will definitely be missed. If I could afford it and it wasn't family only, I would be at his funeral to pay my respects. I have only cried for two other celebrities in my life now that number is three. Satoshi Kon you will be truly missed but the works you left behind will make sure that you're not forgotten.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
Man, to have an idea when you're going to go. I got emotional reading that final message.

I'm jut glad that I got turned onto Satoshi Kon's work. I loved what he contributed to the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lascd123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
Just when I thought there was no way for me to think even more highly of the man, Kon's final words were published in the article. For someone to face their imminent death with so much grace and confidence like that, he has forever earned my respect not just as an amazing director, but also as an amazing person. Without Kon and Miyazaki, I would not be an anime fan today (or at least not nearly as much of a fan), and so his passing cuts deep. RIP Satoshi Kon, and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
This is so sad, I still can't handle his passing. He will be missed. Crying or Very sad
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
With feelings of gratitude for all that is good in this world, I put down my pen.

Well, I'll be leaving now.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 'scuse me while I go cry now.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
wow that's pretty sad stuff to read. very strong man
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
RIP Satoshi Kon. You were a brilliant creator and all of your work will forever be remembered as imaginative and nothing short of increadible. My condolenses got to his family

I was shocked when I read this. Cannot believe he's gone. Sad
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
His note is so sad and personal.....
You can't help but feel he wrote it just so we could understand.....it's very sad....
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
WatchforMoons7 wrote:
Sad I want a hug...someone.

*HUGS TIGHT*
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
His note is so sad and personal.....
You can't help but feel he wrote it just so we could understand.....it's very sad....

Even with a mediocre translation from google, you can get a pretty good sense of how things went down, and how hard (and quick) it must have been. It's very hard to be forced to leave your passion behind, but it's so touching to hear of his interactions with Mr Maruyama, and the fear Kon had of leaving things half-done for his show. Most fans never get to see much of how Madhouse really operates, or how very much like a family they really are. I think that's why Madhouse produces so much great stuff -- because that level of closeness, coupled with the talent and skill, means that amazing people work all the harder to avoid disappointing the people they love.

I know they are all gutted.
skafreak51

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
sad news, I'm sorry to hear about this...
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
A public memorial would be nice but I can understand why his family would want a private memorial sometimes public memorals for famous figures end up turning into media circuses. But yeah it sad cancer is a rough way to go and as I said before 46 is way too young to die.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
Satoshi Kon has been my favorite director from the time I saw Millennium Actress (still my favorite movie). I was numb yesterday when my husband read from the article our friend posted on Facebook--I immediately had to check ANN to make sure it wasn't some kind of cruel joke.

Kon-sensei was a genius, and it's so sad that the world will never get to see all the other things he could do. He was also incredibly nice--I remember being so excited to see him when they played Paprika during the National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C., and even though he didn't have enough time to sign autographs for everyone afterward, he made sure to shake hands with all the people in line who missed out. I feel like saying "Thank you" to him then wasn't enough gratitude for his dedication and all the fantastic, creative works he has given us. My prayers are with his family.

Other people have suggested a public memorial, or looking for some way to donate for the memorial service. I think that's a great idea--maybe a fundraiser for cancer research would be a good way to honor his memory while helping others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11