• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Angel Beats! Gets Another Epilogue Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudduck454

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:55 am Reply with quote
I hope it also extends the ending better, I was surprised by the ending, but not shocked, since it is from the same person that did clanaad I believe, but I enjoyed the ending, it brought a slight tear in the eye, even though it would have been nice to see the story go a little further, the whole romance part was kinda vague to begin with

and I hope this does get licensed, with a blu-ray release in america, along with working, but I dont think working was made in HD since they only released it on DVD in japan.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
There were plot threads left hanging? I don't think I recall any. I liked the ending, personally. It said all that needed to be said.

Yes, there were. I don't recall them explaining what the deal was with "God"; all I know was that he spoiler[had his computers smashed up] and that was about it. Don't you think out of all the characters who appeared but were not fleshed out, he was the big kahuna, the one who was the most important?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:01 am Reply with quote
I was confused by all that God stuff myself, but I have always assumed that was probably due to an inferior translation by fansubbers. If it gets released in NA, it will be interesting to see if that element becomes more comprehensible.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:
There were plot threads left hanging? I don't think I recall any. I liked the ending, personally. It said all that needed to be said.

Yes, there were. I don't recall them explaining what the deal was with "God"; all I know was that he spoiler[had his computers smashed up] and that was about it. Don't you think out of all the characters who appeared but were not fleshed out, he was the big kahuna, the one who was the most important?

Hmmmm. They said that spoiler["He was another person waiting on someone else to show up." and that was about it. With that mystery solved, exactly who he was didn't seem to matter. Far less important than the main characters, it seems. So, he wasn't God, he was just someone clinging to his past.. or un.. life.]
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Oh, heck yes. Smile

I hope it's an extension of that "where are they now" epilogue we got a glimpse of in the final episode's ending...
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
Now they just need to greenlight a remake thats a full 26 episodes so the darn plot actually makes sense and the character development isn't halfassed Wink
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
Just give me more cool girl bands. That is my main requirement. Damn you Joan Jett, ect!
steev-sama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
They need to make an alternate ending, as it stands, the current ending is one of my top "BS endings" of all time. Maybe the ending wasn't that bad, but when you watch such a great series, but are let down with a nonsensical ending, it just completely destroys it. Man.. When good series go bad it really sucks. Sad

aereus wrote:
Now they just need to greenlight a remake thats a full 26 episodes so the darn plot actually makes sense and the character development isn't halfassed Wink

I agree completely, up until the final 2 episodes I was really enjoying this series. Then they crapped it up and took a dump all over the fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I was confused by all that God stuff myself, but I have always assumed that was probably due to an inferior translation by fansubbers. If it gets released in NA, it will be interesting to see if that element becomes more comprehensible.

From what small sense I was able to make out of it, spoiler[the whole point to that confrontation was for Yurippe to realize that there was no "god" figure she could act out her revenge. The guy who was there was merely a puppet left behind by the creator of AngelPlayer... who I guess went psycho after he was dumped and decided that love needed to be eradicated from the world so he somehow "programmed" (not sure how else to explain it) that whenever "love" enters the world then those really stupid shadow things come out. Or something. Like I said, that was what small sense I could make out of it. But the main thing was that Yurippe realized that she could smash everything and nothing would stop her, there was no "god" to confront in the world. Her entire exhausted effort into the After-Life Battlefront was completely pointless and this is why she eventually sides with Otonashi in bringing peace to all the members.]

As far as the ending goes, I thought it fit quite well. spoiler[It's obvious to me that the world where Otonashi ended up was a world where the people had no desire to reincarnate back into the world due to some injustice they incurred or some strong desire that kept them lingering. So I thought it was just about perfect that the ending scene is Otonashi and Kanade's reincarnations back in the real world.]
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
Cool One more eps now some one just needs to get this
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I can't recall any hanging plot threads, either - unless he was referring to the fact that we didn't get to see, in each and every case, what caused some members of the SSS Brigade to have been in Limbo in the first place, or why they were able to leave?

I thought it covered most of the main characters. There were ones that they didn't get into any motivations, like most of the members of GDM, but main characters I thought they mostly covered.

But... but, T.K.! Sad

Razz
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I can't recall any hanging plot threads, either - unless he was referring to the fact that we didn't get to see, in each and every case, what caused some members of the SSS Brigade to have been in Limbo in the first place, or why they were able to leave?

I thought it covered most of the main characters. There were ones that they didn't get into any motivations, like most of the members of GDM, but main characters I thought they mostly covered.

But... but, T.K.! Sad

Razz

You were expecting ANY kind of explanation for TK?
Laughing
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Now we shall never know his traumatic and heart-rending past Anime cry
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Moe-ish character designs aside, is this series worth following?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Moe-ish character designs aside, is this series worth following?

I think so, at least. It's a bit like The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (in more ways than one), simultaneously lambasting and paying tribute to tropes and cliches. Combined with high production values, it's just a lot of fun to watch. Even some of their serious dramatic stuff works (though it's a bit mixed).

I think of it as a cross between Haruhi and spoiler[Haibane Renmei].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3