• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Anime Geek' Character to Appear on U.S. Network TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
I don't suppose we could all wait until the episode actually airs before we pull on our matching sequined defensive pants could we?
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
A orange jumpsuit or swirly headband thing - 5:1
A fake samurai sword on the wall - 7:1
A fake scroll with kanji on the wall - 9:1
Something similar to a death note 22:1
A figure of a girl in a sailor uniform - 53:1
Any of the above at the scene of the murder- x2 BONUS!!!

Those seem to be the most likely... but I'm betting they'll probably go with the wall scroll or sword simply because it would be simple and it wouldn't "offend" anyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't suppose we could all wait until the episode actually airs before we pull on our matching sequined defensive pants could we?

Probably because we've seen enough episodes like these in these types of shows to know exactly what's going to happen.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
All this makes me wonder is why every single drama series on network TV is either about cops, doctors, or both cops and doctors. Razz

Procedural programming friend, procedural programming. Of course the reason we keep getting shows about law enforcement/medical professionals in particular is because the other stuff only work in reality/educational programming (it's harder to market a plumber or the mailman as a forty-five minute dramatic commitment).

Leon Evolon wrote:
Olivine wrote:
A orange jumpsuit or swirly headband thing - 5:1
A fake samurai sword on the wall - 7:1
A fake scroll with kanji on the wall - 9:1
Something similar to a death note 22:1
A figure of a girl in a sailor uniform - 53:1
Any of the above at the scene of the murder- x2 BONUS!!!

I'll have at this set, minus the Naruto paraphernalia and the murder scene involvement.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Oooh, after the recent Law & Order's depiction of gamers, I'm just bursting with anticipation over how they'll portray us! A possible murder suspect too! We're totally on the rise, eh?

Course, since this Thomas guy is involved, maybe it actually won't be that bad, but still...

Yeah, I remember that episode (it was actually Law & Order: SVU).

Your forgetting that Law & Order went out with a bang with a storyline where it was using alot of vague references to 4chan.

Let's also not forget that CSI, NCIS, Bones, Criminal Minds, and a few other shows have also dabbled in portraying "oddballs" as silent killers in waiting.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:29 am Reply with quote
The preview for that episode (I think) is up at the show's site. It's the video called "One Mistake Could Destroy It All!" If it's not the one that plays automatically when you go to the site you can click "More Video" and choose it from the list.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-whole-truth

And here's the description of the episode.

"True Confessions
A 16-year-old is accused of attacking his parents, who are found lying in a pool of blood in their home; Jimmy tries to prove that an aggressive detective bullied the teen into a false confession."

So far no mention of anime in either the preview or the description. Might not even be that big of a part of the show.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Er... I was never really a huge defender of Handley, but still when it came down to it I was on his side. Still, you have noticed what these shows have been doing (not even remotely lately), they take news events and distort them or sensationalize them. It is hard to call such a thing alarmist, when "new material" arrives before a creator. These shows, the type mentioned, often mention currents events at the of time of taping. It's the way TV gets ahead of the Internet in many ways. Frankly you are being a little bit "Jr. Duck" (I am sure you remember that cartoon skit right), but in the end, I hope you are 100% correct.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dagon123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
Looks like were moving up in the world, lol Rolling Eyes
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Looks like were moving up in the world, lol Rolling Eyes

Hah, you know you've made it big when mainstream American television makes fun of you/portrays you in a negative light.
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
All this makes me wonder is why every single drama series on network TV is either about cops, doctors, or both cops and doctors. Razz

Well, it's like that old joke about the guy who used to hang around laundromats at night, just to watch the clothes sloshing around in the machines--
The first machine had somebody washing a football uniform, a jockstrap and some gym socks...Nothing too interesting. The second machine was washing some Victoria's Secret lingerie...Good for a while, but nothing much. The third machine had someboy washing bloodstains off a set of forensic scrubs....Finally the guy gave up and left:
"Sex, sports and CSI, that's all they've got anymore...This keeps up, I may have to go back to watching network TV!"

(drumshot) Razz

dtm42 wrote:
Hah, you know you've made it big when mainstream American television makes fun of you/portrays you in a negative light.

OTOH, you usually know when a more minor trend is "over" when network TV references it without ever appearing to have heard of it.
(Ie., he's not just the default disturbed comic-book/D&D fan, he must be a comic-book AND anime fan because he reads manga!...Y'know like they sell at Barnes & Noble! Rolling Eyes )

Reading the headline, my first thought was Season 1 of "Heroes", where in Tokyo, nobody ever talks about anime, Star Trek and Western superhero references are common parlance, and the closest thing to a manga comic is a copy of "Hamtaro" on a NYC newsstand.

...There's a certain freedom in being so obscure the mainstream doesn't know HOW to pick on/leech off of you, but the attempts can get embarrassing at times.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
....unless it turns out that the "whole truth" is that the kid didn't do it but everyone thinks he did because of negative stereotyping. It's not like the article is going to give away the twist at the end.

This is what I'm betting on.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:27 am Reply with quote
Since the audience will be unfamiliar with anime, the writers will have to rely on quick stereotypes to define the subject matter. So which stereotype will they use for anime?

All giant humanoid robots? (80's stereotype)
Ultra violent bloodbath? (90's stereotype)
Ultra sexual perversions? (00's stereotype)
or with they go with the Naruto stereotype, and make the kid a ninja wannabe?

I really don't care, I will be watching the baseball postseason anyway. What I really want to know is the odds that the show is pulled at the last minute and replaced with a thirty minutes of a ferry sailing on a scenic alpine fjord.

...I'm going to hell for that one.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
I'm just gonna go ahead and leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlQkzYjs-g

[quote=Melanchthon]All giant humanoid robots? (80's stereotype)
Ultra violent bloodbath? (90's stereotype)
Ultra sexual perversions? (00's stereotype)
or with they go with the Naruto stereotype, and make the kid a ninja wannabe? [/quote]

A perverted kid ninja stabs people to death with giant robots. Done.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
...unless it turns out that the "whole truth" is that the kid didn't do it but everyone thinks he did because of negative stereotyping. It's not like the article is going to give away the twist at the end.
This is what I'm betting on.

That would be pretty awesome, actually. And I wonder if Thomas advised them on any of the anime fan culture?
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:38 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Procedural programming friend, procedural programming. Of course the reason we keep getting shows about law enforcement/medical professionals in particular is because the other stuff only work in reality/educational programming (it's harder to market a plumber or the mailman as a forty-five minute dramatic commitment).

my god! these leaky pipes! quick -- o noes -- i left my wrench in the van.

but why, o why?? *shakes futile fist at mildewed ceiling*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4