• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Recalls 1st Birdy the Mighty Decode DVD Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow. I was just about to pre-order that this Friday when I got my paycheck. Good timing, I guess? What exactly was the problem? Was there content from the wrong series or something?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
While it's too bad for the people who had it shipped early. At least it won't be such a pain for those who haven't gotten it yet.

Well, that's assuming the companies we bought it from knows about the recall and decides to clear their inventory and send us good copies later on instead of bad copies on the actual release date we have to send back, but yeah.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Chobittsu wrote:

By the way, what is wrong with the ED?

Original ED: http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/ShingoYamashita.jpg
ED on Funimation's DVDs: http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/birdyfunied.png

http://community.funimation.com/m.aspx?m=371429

Quote:
...it seems like we have a similar situation like My Bride is a Mermaid here. Though, instead of using stills for the ED, they decided to shrink it to a box on the left-hand side, while there's a huge roll of English credits on the right. Ugh. I'm guessing they weren't given creditless OP/EDs, but this is still a crappy way of handling this.
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I didn't order this yet.
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Chobittsu wrote:

By the way, what is wrong with the ED?

Original ED: http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/ShingoYamashita.jpg
ED on Funimation's DVDs: http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/birdyfunied.png

http://community.funimation.com/m.aspx?m=371429

Quote:
...it seems like we have a similar situation like My Bride is a Mermaid here. Though, instead of using stills for the ED, they decided to shrink it to a box on the left-hand side, while there's a huge roll of English credits on the right. Ugh. I'm guessing they weren't given creditless OP/EDs, but this is still a crappy way of handling this.

More than likely it is the same situation, but sadly, not one Funi can legally fix. If the Japanese studio doesn't send a clean OP and ED, then all they have is the ending with the Japanese text hard coded onto it. They can't legally just download a raw from online and use it, that would be plain stupid. They're doing what they can with what they got, but it does make me wish they would bring back the alternate video angles like in their early dvds, that way they can have the Japanese text hard coded and then have the english staff endings.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
Or the could do what just about every other company does when they don't have a clean ED - run the English credits after the ED.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
Well at least there's the Birdy mousepad to look at during the delay. I should have preordered the second season when I did the first as the price jumped back up and hasn't come back down...would have been nice to have gotten season 2 for $36 as well.

A clean opening for Season 2 would be nice, but if not then next best thing is the Japanese opening in HD, which I have in my Youtube favorites list. I don't care much for watching OP/ED past the first time when going through a series anyways, though for Decode 02 seeing it every episode would not be minded at all (It's one of my favorite openings along with Sky Girls.) But if you want to watch the opening/endings for Birdy the Mighty:Decode the English Subs has no image/text issue like the dub has. Would be a pain just switching to sub to watch the OP/ED then back to dub for the episodes though....
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote
Otaku Teahouse wrote:
it does make me wish they would bring back the alternate video angles like in their early dvds, that way they can have the Japanese text hard coded and then have the english staff endings.

weren't the alternate angles funi used to use a large part of the reason the video quality on those early dvds was so horrible? i'll pass, thanks.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote
Wait, so does that mean that the DVDs do not include creditless EDs or OPs? If so, Mad Evil or Very Mad What about the second season?
braves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Wait, so does that mean that the DVDs do not include creditless EDs or OPs? If so, Mad Evil or Very Mad What about the second season?
They couldn't get them for the 1st season, but they did for the 2nd. That's not really the issue-- it's them squishing the ED for the 1st season. They made the worst out of a situation that could have handled easily.... At least, so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
Luckily I haven't purchased it yet. I may have to wait on this one until next year when things are "a go". I usually will buy a series and stash it away until I get to it. It 'll sit on my shelves for months never knowing if there is a problem. I do try to watch it to check for problems.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/news/individual/?ForumThreadName=FT0000001864&ReturnTo=Archive

Righstuf now says they are trying to have funi ship people the replacement disc directly.
MBF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
For those of you wondering, second disc of the Birdy set that was shipped out is actually Disc 2 of the Season 4 boxset of DBZ.
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those who pre-ordered, still wondering if there was a problem.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
While it's too bad for the people who had it shipped early. At least it won't be such a pain for those who haven't gotten it yet.

We'll be advance replacing them once the fixed sets arrive for all of our customers who got early copies. Shouldn't be any inconvenience for any of our customers except for the wait.

Did anyone notice that Funi put it on us retailers (again) to absorb the cost of the exchanges? Opps! - there I go, apparently whining again. Slap me with the splintered ruler. -_^

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store Wink Wink Wink Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4