• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Films Adds Koihime†Musō, 11Eyes, Kämpfer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Sentai took more chances in the last few months with releasing dubbed series like Golgo 13, Xam'd and Canaan which didn't followed the "release sub first, maybe there'll be a dub sometime " formula from series like Clannad, Ghost Hound and Tears to Tiara. So I guess the dubs must be selling good if they're willing to release dubbed series right from the start.

Add to this the "secret dubs" which aren't yet announced and things look much better in comparaison to last year where having dubbed releases from Sentai was something coming out of a fairy tale. It's not like the old times where everything was getting a dub but those days aren't coming back. Really, not all series deserve a dub, having a sub release is just fine for some titles. That being said, I really wish they would announce the dub of Clannad: After Story Wink

I didn't had the intention of buying Glass Mask until the 2nd boxset was made official but it looks like the customer will have to take the risk of buying a half-completed series in order to get the follow-up. I'm sure the sales of Vol. 1 would get much better if there was a confirmed release date for Vol. 2, thus convincing all of the on-the-fence buyers.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Hope the fanservice sells for ya Section23.

I won't be purchasing any of these.

Translation: I don't like any of these, ergo I must somehow indirectly indicate fault in anyone who does.

That's a bit of a stretch. The only thing you can realy infer from that comment is that Megiddo isn't into fanservice shows. Any perceived insult is entirely in your head.

Anyway, I'm with Meggido in that I don't care for fanservice shows either, so I'll be passing on all three of these.

Maybe, if all you focus on is the words, but what you say says less than how you say it. If Meggido had just said that (s)he isn't into fanservice then I'd agree with you. Instead (s)he said "hope the fanservice sells for ya...I won't be purchasing any of these". Broken down, this interprets into "these series are nothing but fanservice (since the implication here is that fanservice is their only selling point), ergo fanservice is the only reason anyone has to buy any of them, which I won't, so anyone who does is only in it for the fanservice".

I dated a psychology student for a couple of years and have a couple of relatives who study psychology as well. I'm no expert, but I have learned a little bit of how to read the way in which people say things.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote
A chance to get Kampfer uncensored in low-res without inaccurate trolling jokesubs? Sounds good to me!
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote
Sensei Terry Silver wrote:

I didn't had the intention of buying Glass Mask until the 2nd boxset was made official but it looks like the customer will have to take the risk of buying a half-completed series in order to get the follow-up. I'm sure the sales of Vol. 1 would get much better if there was a confirmed release date for Vol. 2, thus convincing all of the on-the-fence buyers.

well I was also waiting on both sets to release, but I might just take a chance and order it, and keep my fingers crossed, I was surprised they put 25 episodes together as one set, since most sets are released with only 12 or 13 episodes at a time, isn't gintama released with only 12 episodes per release, and that has a lot of episodes to go.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Translation: I don't like any of these, ergo I must somehow indirectly indicate fault in anyone who does.

That's a bit of a stretch. The only thing you can realy infer from that comment is that Megiddo isn't into fanservice shows. Any perceived insult is entirely in your head.

Anyway, I'm with Meggido in that I don't care for fanservice shows either, so I'll be passing on all three of these.

Maybe, if all you focus on is the words, but what you say says less than how you say it. If Meggido had just said that (s)he isn't into fanservice then I'd agree with you. Instead (s)he said "hope the fanservice sells for ya...I won't be purchasing any of these". Broken down, this interprets into "these series are nothing but fanservice (since the implication here is that fanservice is their only selling point), ergo fanservice is the only reason anyone has to buy any of them, which I won't, so anyone who does is only in it for the fanservice".

I dated a psychology student for a couple of years and have a couple of relatives who study psychology as well. I'm no expert, but I have learned a little bit of how to read the way in which people say things.

LOL Laughing You are reading way too much into that to the point of completely making shit up. There is no "tone" to interpret, all you have to go on is two written sentences. I don't care how many psychology students you know, but thanks for the laughs this morning. Laughing
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

LOL Laughing You are reading way too much into that to the point of completely making shit up. There is no "tone" to interpret, all you have to go on is two written sentences. I don't care how many psychology students you know, but thanks for the laughs this morning. Laughing

It came off the same way for me as well.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:

You write the word 'tone' in quotes, as if to quote me. Where did I use the word 'tone'? If you're going to be obnoxious, at least try to be right at the same time.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:

You write the word 'tone' in quotes, as if to quote me. Where did I use the word 'tone'? If you're going to be obnoxious, at least try to be right at the same time.
If you listen more carefully, you'll hear that those are irony quotes, sometimes called "scare" quotes ... a direct quotation is not only or even necessarily the most common use of quotes around a single word.

Indeed, during apartheid years in South Africa, they said that "colored" politicians couldn't give a speech if their hands were tied behind their back, because they had to make air quotes whenever they said "colored".

Of course, indicting people for the "tone" of what they said instead of the actual content is a decades old favorite internet pastime, which some recall from before the days of the world wide web itself, and it often comes off as silly ~ in the case at hand, change the tone of voice that you hear in the original remark that launched this side thread from sarcastic to jovial, and suddenly its more along the lines of, "well, its not my cup of tea, but good onya, the more, the merrier".
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:

I don't find anything obnoxious about his post. But hey, what do I know? I never dated a psychology student so I'm not an expert like you.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:

I don't find anything obnoxious about his post. But hey, what do I know? I never dated a psychology student so I'm not an expert like you.

You're right, I suppose there's nothing obnoxious about telling someone they're making shit up and outwardly laughing at them with no real basis for doing either. Also, if you'd read my post either, you'd notice I explicitly stated that I'm no expert. Christ on a bike man.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:
You're right, I suppose there's nothing obnoxious about telling someone they're making shit up and outwardly laughing at them with no real basis for doing either. Also, if you'd read my post either, you'd notice I explicitly stated that I'm no expert. Christ on a bike man.

No, I dig what you're sayin man. I don't mean to put words in your mouth. If I've misspoken it is merely because as I said, I don't have your experience with this stuff. I mean hey, to a layman like me PrettyKitty20034's post looks like the extremely justified mocking of the comically tenuous attempt to justify a silly persecution complex. But of course that's not the case. It just looks that way to a guy like me who's never dated a psychology student.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Hey, everyone who thought Kämpfer was horrible: Don't buy it! Amazingly simple, no?

well when they continue to license shows not worth buying, then don't go blaming fansubs when ADV goes under

I'm not worried; tasteless fanservice shows tend to do the best in sales. See: Ikki Tousen, Queen's Blade, etc. US companies keep licensing these types of shows for the same reason the Japanese companies keep making them: they produce reliable sales.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
Sensei Terry Silver wrote:

well I was also waiting on both sets to release, but I might just take a chance and order it, and keep my fingers crossed, I was surprised they put 25 episodes together as one set, since most sets are released with only 12 or 13 episodes at a time, isn't gintama released with only 12 episodes per release, and that has a lot of episodes to go.
For Glass Mask, for the moment I gave up on Sentai releasing the second half and decided to watch the last half of it on Crunchyroll. Yeah, will be picking up the first half of the series on DVD at some point, at the very latest when A-Cen rolls around again in May, but still, it may be a long time or even never after that point for them to release the second half of the series.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Yet another entertaining thread on the ANN Forum. Next time I'll be sure to be as emotionless as possible when posting so as not to let the "tone" of my post strike as some sort of offense or what not to someone.

Anyway, to clarify: I do not like Kampfer, Koihime Musou, or 11Eyes. I do not like fanservice shows in general. However, I like ADV/Section23, and I wish to see them grow and prosper.

With this information now known, I hope the readers will be able to properly derive the "tone" (I love putting words in quotation marks) of my previous post(s).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8