• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Where are you watching Oreimo?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Five bucks for twelve HD episodes? Pffffft, chump change.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Five bucks for twelve HD episodes? Pffffft, chump change.

Sure beats $80 for a two episode Blu-ray Laughing
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
[Moderated: criticize ANN all you want, but do it politely]
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
The internet plan I have is basically "one up from the bottom tier" of AT&T's DSL plan. I've never felt a need to upgrade because for most things, it's fast enough to do the things I want to use it for. Unfortunately, the one thing it's just not very good at is streaming video, which has been my main stumbling block to doing more anime streaming.

I was away this last weekend, though, and had access to a faster connection, so I ended up streaming OreImo episode 6 on ANN to compare to the fansub I had seen, since that was an episode I had liked.

I think the translation ANN used was more accurate than the fansub in most places where I noticed differences between the two. However, there were a couple incidents where it was perhaps too literal - whenever Kyosuke or anyone else used the English word "fantastic" in their sentences, it was translated as "fantastic," even though in-context, the meaning conveyed felt much closer to "messed-up." It's kind of the same situation as how the Japanese use the word "pinch" to express a moment of crisis, but we generally translate that as "crisis," and would notice it was weird if it was translated directly as "pinch," even though they're saying "pinchii!" in Japanese.

I'd have to skim over the episodes again to make an actual list of the places where the ANN translation was clearer than the fansub, but there were a couple examples. Overall, I was a-okay with the subtitle script and the video quality was nice, even expanded to full-screen.

I watched the streaming episode on a laptop, instead of the desktop/22" monitor where I normally view non-DVD anime.
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I answered other so, per the instructions, I'm providing my answer as to why I'm not watching my favorite show this season on ANN. Basically, I just can't support ANN due their editorial policies and attitudes. That's really it--you have your demographic and I'm not part of it. There's nothing wrong with that. I just won't support a company that has been historically hostile to my interests.

As for whether I'd buy a potential R1 DVD, I answered "probably" not. Mainly because I have the R2 BDs on pre-order. Honestly, at this point, I've already spent or pre-ordered a $1,000 or so dollars worth of OreImo merch. If Nozomi or NISA licensed it, I may re-buy it. But I'm trying to cut out unnecessary re-buys.

I'm an outlier, basically.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Could have used an "N/A" option on the final question for those of us in the U.S. who already have access to OreImo on ANN.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
[moderated]

Enjoying that refund, Splitter? Laughing

Anyway, like I said in the thread for the trailer, way back when: I'd use ANN's HD streams if they were available to me, no questions asked.

Draneor wrote:
I've already spent or pre-ordered a $1,000 or so dollars worth of OreImo merch.

... Wow.
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
... Wow.

If you're a single professional with a decent salary, no kids, and life has not yet tied you down (basically mid-to-late 20s), it's not difficult to spend a thousand or so on anime or other hobbies per season. I tend to focus on certain shows rather than spread the wealth myself, but...

Granted, if I were normal, I'd probably go clubbing or something.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
No, yeah, I know it's certainly possible (and I'm one to talk, since I've got a copy of the KnK BD set reserved for February).

Quote:
Granted, if I were normal, I'd probably go clubbing or something.

And this is why anime is an effective anti-drug! Laughing
Doctor Memory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I answered other, so as directed, here I respond:

Generally I'll watch the first episode of an anime. If it's something I like, I'll download the rest of the episodes and watch them when I have time (which is unfortunately at a premium). If the DVDs come out before I get to watch the fansubs, I'll generally get the DVDs. And even if I watch the fansubs, if it's a series I like, I'll buy the DVDs when I have the cash to do it (right now I have six series on my list to buy).
eesquibel
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I honestly blame the fansubbers for the whole leak incident, so I have no hard feelings towards ANN. And from what I understand it was an out-sourced service they were using to host, so they were hardly involved in the technical aspects that lead to the leak.

The time delay is no issue. I hate speed-subbers anyways, so I am use to waiting.

No complaints on the video or translation quality.

HD video streaming really doesn't interest me - I'd rather wait for the Blu-Ray to get HD, but would pay less simply to remove the ads.

As for the thought of boycotting ANN, I really can't fault their policies. They are trying to be professional and are running a business, and that at times that may clash with the interests of a community who is accustomed to receiving something for nothing.

To sum up my $0.02, I am glad ANN has thrown their hat in the simulcast-anime-video-streaming market and look forward to more coming from them.
Zilan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
If ANN is gonna be successful streaming, then they have to follow the crunchyroll model. 10 dollars for a 12-13 episode series is too much. I can pay 6.99 monthly and have UNLIMITED access to simulcast and quite a large library of anime over at crunchyroll, most in 720p and most airing just hours after the Japanese broadcast.

You can flaunt your *It's the legal way, and It supports the creators!* all you want, people unfortunately don't care. All they care about Is watching It as soon as possible.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I also answered I'd "Maybe" buy it, as in maybe if it had a dub. I'm already paying to watch it subbed, no need to pay again. However, the show is kind of starting to go downhill at episode 7 and according to the following thread episode 8 ain't all at great either, so it's also a "Maybe if it doesn't end up terrible like it seems to be going". I still answered that I find it "pretty good", but that's only because "I don't like it, but I'm watching anyways" sounded too harsh for me. I personally would say "Ehhhhhhhh, it's alright I guess".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
If ANN is gonna be successful streaming, then they have to follow the crunchyroll model. 10 dollars for a 12-13 episode series is too much. I can pay 6.99 monthly and have UNLIMITED access to simulcast and quite a large library of anime over at crunchyroll, most in 720p and most airing just hours after the Japanese broadcast.

But it's a five dollar package, not ten. Crunchyroll certainly does have a much larger library though, but that's not really a fair comparison at this point because ANN is pretty fresh to the business of streaming new content when compared to CR; also, AFAIK HD content is still in the minority over there.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Although I dropped this show after four and five-sixths episodes (couldn't stand Ayase and the awful episode five), I still filled out this survey. That's because I wanted to add my voice to the international chorus of "ANN should - when it can - get the worldwide streaming rights".

The price of US$5 for a one-cour season streamed in 720p is very reasonable. But it means I'd have to do my initial homework very thoroughly to make sure I don't buy the right to watch a series I will end up hating. Unfortunately, you never know what a show will be like until you watch it, especially brand-new ones, but that's unavoidable.

Under the second-to-last question, about the R1 DVDs, I put "Absolutely!". This was a hard question to answer. First of all, I don't live in R1 anyway, but I could see what the survey was trying to get at. The only people legally watching the show are all from Canada and America (i.e. R1), yet I think it was a badly worded question. It should have included those who watch fansubs (and if it did, then I apologise, but I don't remember there being that option).
Secondly, although I dislike the show and never want to watch another episode of it ever again, I made the mistake of watching more than three episodes. My personal code of conduct stipulates that I must buy any series where I watched more than three episodes using fansubs, should the series ever come out in New Zealand. Therefore if I did see the DVDs in a store I would buy it, no matter how much I didn't want to. So I'm kind of hoping it gets passed over by Madman, else I'd gift it to someone. Anyway, I just wanted to mention all that because otherwise that "Absolutely!" is going to seem pretty odd given my answers to the other questions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4