• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - The Greatest Censorship Fails

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
…co-opted by weeaboo Nazis…

Curious. Such a choice of words renders the underlying idea far more lucid than it really should.

I've seen white supremacists on /a/, so....it's possible.

I was just as flabbergasted as you were, don't worry.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
trandraskell wrote:
I actually did read the link but you are using extreme case here, as Christian they have a right to be upset they feel that people are forcing them to abandon their beliefs just to be accepted in this world. Do you know what hate speech truly is what WBC does is hate speech, while most Christians may not agree with homosexuality and its lifestyle they do not to see it everywhere and they don't want to be force to change because of their beliefs. This whole subject of manga being censored has nothing to do with Religion at all.

It doesn't? Then why did you follow up with this:

trandraskell wrote:
This has to do with a corporations making choice based on the comic code that exist in the USA. This is why these changes are done, for the corporations and by the corporations and nothing more. The corporations do not want to be sued because they might have offended a Religious group or ethic group period.

I have to question your sincerity in getting me to change my mind about this stuff, you know. You have been nothing but hostile and contradictory. In fact, congratulations, you have succeeded only in reinforcing my earlier opinions.

and uh, ethnic group? --This particular discussion has nothing to do with race. That's another topic.

oh, wait, I just noticed you wrote ethic group. Is that different from a religion? Laughing

Sorry I spelled ethic group wrong, I am not being hostile at all, you were the one that lambasted Christians and Jesus so I called you out on it. You brought the issue of Christians forcing the changes done to manga and censorship and I called you out on that.

These companies remove all offensive objects not just religious objects i.e."swastikas because it might cause issues with Jewish people, removal of Christ on the Cross, removal of the crescent moon because it may cause issue with Muslims and Nudity because of a possible underage child seeing the image.

Can you see the difference it not religion forcing any changes it our society as a whole forcing these changes and the companies protecting their money and as Marc said earlier they don't want the blame if something goes wrong.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
[quote="trandraskell"]
trandraskell wrote:
Sorry I spelled ethic group wrong, I am not being hostile at all, you were the one that lambasted Christians and Jesus so I called you out on it. You brought the issue of Christians forcing the changes done to manga and censorship and I called you out on that.

These companies remove all offensive objects not just religious objects i.e."swastikas because it might cause issues with Jewish people, removal of Christ on the Cross, removal of the crescent moon because it may cause issue with Muslims and Nudity because of a possible underage child seeing the image.

How can you list all these religious justifications for censoring things and then say:

trandraskell wrote:
Can you see the difference it not religion forcing any changes it our society as a whole forcing these changes and the companies protecting their money and as Marc said earlier they don't want the blame if something goes wrong.

That is a total contradiction!
Anime dazed

And, BTW, I will continue to lambaste whatever I wish. You have done absolutely nothing to create a favorable impression of your religion.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

It's always surprised me that there's no giant internet database listing all censorship in English editions of manga.

Yeah, though there used to be an old one for anime courtesy of Jim Lazar's No Editing Zone.

Myaow wrote:
This is reeeally interesting stuff. The Shaman King "remove the crosses" example is especially neat, since on the very same page you literally have some kid being torn open, organs exposed, which I would think more people would find upsetting than a crucifix!

Don't underestimate some people and religions. There's a reason "fighting for a cause" when it becomes fervent, that's when it's compared to a crusade or jihad.

Great Rumbler wrote:
I actually read up on the censorship in the Pokemon manga the other day, it actually had A LOT of fanservice! Gotta wonder how that one slipped past Nintendo, especially when it was related to one of their most lucrative franchises.

Hahaha, that's stupid Nintendo should had known that wouldn't fly in America in the first place! Laughing

Anyways, such is explained pretty reasonably by Censored Pokémon Manga - Pokémon Fact of The Day.

Nevertheless, Nintendo has to decide. If they want artistic integrity, then go for that and sacrifice money. But if they want the money, then they should know what's not going to fly in other places in the first place. Same goes for any company looking to go outside Japan - if that's your plan, then act accordingly in the first place to avoid this whole issue and save everyone the headache. (Note: the differences on what would fly with different age groups or demographics.)

ptolemy18 wrote:

By the time Shonen Jump was licensed in English things were much tighter between Viz and Shueisha. I know that Shueisha didn't want I"s to be labeled "18+" because it would have meant lower sales, and I would be extremely surprised if Katsura hadn't approved everything in the Viz edition.

Yeah, sometimes it's hard for workers to have their money cake and eat it too. They want to keep their artistic integrity, but if they also need the money, then they have to compromise.

A simple solution is just not to publish such stuff in the first place if they're afraid of getting trouble or losing money over it.

DeathScytheRuler wrote:
They did a terrible job "erasing" the sides of the crosses in MAR. They turned them into sticks but they didn't bother to touch up the backgrounds which clearly show an outline of the missing pieces.

I don't think they're trying to be perfect - just doing enough to not get in trouble.

littlegreenwolf wrote:

It sort of turns its head on the whole stereotype we have here in America where it's hot and accepted for two girls to be making out, but guys? That's just maddness. Rolling Eyes

Girls doing it is just girly. Guys doing it is just not macho. Confused

Magna_Lilly wrote:

Although I am religious, I never understood why they would censor crosses and religious symbols. I always felt editing it out felt more "offensive" than including it in any way.

It's easier to avoid trouble from people who don't know what's left out than from people who know what's left in.

Bonham wrote:

Bastard!! is another one, with the various references to '80s heavy metal bands.

The heavy metal bands one could be trademark violations. Remember, many of the older J-properties were done without thinking about porting 'em over outside Japan eventually, so sometimes the artists never bothered to ask permission first, thinking it's safe since it won't bother anyone in Japan only. Like what happened with the name Lupin III and the LeBlanc Estate.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
just a thought here what would happen if to love ru/darkness or knj was released in the states??? I am sure if they did, there would be entire blank pages with text just to talking about great overall plot <_<

They already tried publishing Kodomo no Jikan but decided against it. Probably the way it should be if it's gonna be more trouble than it's worth for them.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I know it's chump change, but I'm still miffed about the Greed cross change in FMA.

A lot of people were crucified, not just Jesus. And so what if they were making him into a Christ figure? It's not trying to defame Jesus at all.

I know lots of folks were crucified and being Christian myself, I was surprised by how crosses get removed. Heard usually at least with anime they tend to remove anything that could be looked at as "religious references" to avoid offending anyone, be they really religious, or hypersensitive atheists.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
[quote="tuxedocat"]
trandraskell wrote:

trandraskell wrote:

How can you list all these religious justifications for censoring things and then say:

trandraskell wrote:

That is a total contradiction!
Anime dazed

And, BTW, I will continue to lambaste whatever I wish. You have done absolutely nothing to create a favorable impression of your religion.

Maybe you need to read this article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editing_of_anime_in_American_distribution
It about what our society deems normal and acceptable, do I agree with the censorship no I don't but I can accept if a company chose to censor a product because of legal issue I will. Religion in the US not force any changes to laws only a society as a whole can make changes. I know that I will not change your mind and you will be closed minded. I am not here to gain favor with you or anyone else. I called you out for the same hate you spouted against Christians that you claim that we are guilty of.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:

Can you see the difference it not religion forcing any changes...

Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Best self-defeating argument I've ever seen. A+
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:
It about what our society deems normal and acceptable, do I agree with the censorship no I don't but I can accept if a company chose to censor a product because of legal issue I will. Religion in the US not force any changes to laws only a society as a whole can make changes. I know that I will not change your mind and you will be closed minded. I am not here to gain favor with you or anyone else. I called you out for the same hate you spouted against Christians that you claim that we are guilty of.

If it helps any, I don't like most religions, not just yours. What I really dislike, is a specific religion influencing policy for everyone.

The article reinforces my happiness that our country is becoming more secular.

Every Year. Very Happy

As Jason's column stated, there is a lot less censorship "today" than there was "then".

I guess all these publishing companies are becoming, like me, more "closed minded" to the yelping of increasingly marginalized interest groups. So yay!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
I actually read up on the censorship in the Pokemon manga the other day, it actually had A LOT of fanservice! Gotta wonder how that one slipped past Nintendo, especially when it was related to one of their most lucrative franchises.

"Slipped past" implies they didn't know about it. The Japanese version has other stuff like that, it just gets edited out of the games/anime/cards/manga/whatever.

Just look at the recent Black and White games. The uncensored versions have more funny stuff inserted into them like pedophile hikers and guys who enjoys dressing up as girls (apparently he was turned into a girl in the American version)

Remember, what's okay in 'kids series' is a lot different in Japan than here. Stuff like all those boobs and fanservice is no problem for a kids show, so there's it's not really being 'slipped past' anyone.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Jason Thompson wrote:
But a dictate came down from the Powers Above (no, not God) that one particular tombstone was too objectionable, and I had to give the letterer the interesting instructions, "Remove Jesus from cross."

This is where I lost it and my SO had to come over and read the column to see what I was laughing so hard about.

I realize it must have been frustrating at the time it happened, but thanks for sharing that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
trandraskell wrote:

If it helps any, I don't like most religions, not just yours. What I really dislike, is a specific religion influencing policy for everyone.

Every Year. Very Happy

As Jason's column stated, there is a lot less censorship "today" than there was "then".

I guess all these publishing companies are becoming, like me, more "closed minded" to the yelping of increasingly marginalized interest groups. So yay!

Name a special interest Christian group that are forcing manga companies to censor their manga,while in the past I will agree that Christian groups did affect policy and still try to, in some degree but they are not going after manga or anime, in fact it the other way around Christians that know the medium have been embracing the medium and as I said before many Christians don't know the medium so they don't care. I am also glad that they don't censor much anymore also, as I enjoy read the material the way it was intended to be read
AgitoZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Do people actually care if Kai is censored on TV? I mean the censorship is pretty good, besides the dumb mandates by the CW. Even then, there's still the home release which is uncut.

As for concerns about censorship in the uncut version, it's really not bad. Sure, there were a couple in the beginning, but as it went on they were basically gone. Maybe I'll care when Kai is the only version of the material available.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Every Year. Very Happy

Actually, I think the main reason there's less manga censorship today is because companies have (mostly) given up on selling their manga in big-box stores like Wal-Mart. And Borders doesn't even exist anymore.

And honestly, I think lots of nonreligious parents get just as huffy about things like cigarettes and guns in their kids' comics as any religious parents do about crosses or the "d"-word. ("Damn," that is. Oh, BTW, I've also been told that the word "curses!" was off-limits in a manga once or twice. -_- )
immortalrite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
The removal of Jesus from the cross in Shaman King was particularly interesting; I wonder, who they were afraid of offending? I think most Christians in the world would have no problems with seeing a normal crucifix in a graveyard, assuming of course the context was not in some other way clearly blasphemous or disrespectful--which is admittedly difficult to tell from a single page. The American secularists (or Protestants) perhaps? Confused Someone else mentioned it earlier, but I was also amused that the disembowelment scene immediately above the graveyard was apparently A-OK, but dead Jesuses? No way! It actually took me a few moments to realize what was changed because I found that top panel way more graphically extreme.

Jason Thompson wrote:
of course, the manji is an ancient and important Buddhist symbol with was co-opted by weeaboo Nazis

Laughing Laughing
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote
AgitoZ wrote:
Do people actually care if Kai is censored on TV? I mean the censorship is pretty good, besides the dumb mandates by the CW. Even then, there's still the home release which is uncut.

Yes, because plenty of those folks caring about the censoring don't actually know that there's a home release. I've seen plenty of "NO WAAAAY!" responses once it's explained that the version they're seeing on TV is a censored version of what they can purchase uncut (well, as "uncut" as Kai can ever be, considering its entire purpose is to remove material Razz).

It was a confusing product that competed against other versions of itself on the market -- Raditz was simultaneously available on Best Buy shelves via the orange bricks, Dragon Box, Level 1.1 Blu-ray, and Kai at one point. I don't blame some folks for thinking Kai was just a censored re-edit.

(And you should know this! You post on our forum! Razz)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9