• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Connecticut Group Collects 'Violent' Games, Discs to Destroy Them

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
This is no different than the voluntary gun collections and just as useless.

Until we as a society learn to treat each other decently, we will continue to create our own human monsters. But that doesn't provide instant gratification so it will be the last thing we do.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Haha I can get rid of old crap that is worth less than a dollar now and get restaurants tickets? Im in wooooot~

That depends on the title, I have the black label resident evil 2 non dual shock with case/manual and both disc. It is worth around 40-60 dollars to collectors alone since it does not have any built any cheats or arrange mode "infinite ammo".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
well you get a gift card to a restaurant or bowling alley.... that is awesome lol. yeah im not a huge gamer and i wont blame games for making people violent, there are stupid people who go apeshit over cod or battlefield or what have you, they take it too seriously, godamn ragers.
Badlands

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see the logistics of the event....such as the number of games they collect and specifically WHO brings in the games kids/teens/adults?

Collecting violent media is NOT going to bring back those children or heal those that have lost loved ones. It won't even stop any future incidents.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Until we as a society learn to treat each other decently

So, never?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nandosagi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for community-level actions to address problems. That said, I sincerely hope the people cited in this article don't actually believe this is any sort of solution, because the idea that this had any one cause that can easily be addressed is dangerously narrow-minded. Not only will things like this not provide a real solution to the larger problem, it is a slippery slope that could lead to a Pandora's Box: do we start burning DVDs of violent films next? Then print media? CDs?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Until we as a society learn to treat each other decently

So, never?

Sadly, I think you nailed it. Our society and media ignores the real causes, and just deals with the superficial symptoms. We really have learned nothing since Columbine and further back in the past.
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
@Kelly
Incarcerating someone identified as "mentally ill" or forcibly committing someone is just plain bad. There's no objective measurement that is of any predictive use and many people with a variety of life issues would be unjustly targeted, and many people who seem fine but "snap" later on due to event or circumstances would still not be caught.

I never said anything about incarceration, configspace. That should always be a last resort. What I said was that we need to do a much better job as a society of finding and helping these people before they shoot a place up or push someone off a subway track, both for their sakes and our own.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see how this works. Anyone, erm, 'young' or 'mentally unstable' enough to go kill people from playing a video game or seeing a movie would probably not turn in their stuff to be destroyed. And anyone who was level-headed enough to not want another Connecticut incident to happen is clearly not in any danger of going on a killing spree. Not entirely sure who this is aimed for.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
So this is the new book bruning

"Those Who Cannot Remember The Past Are Condemned To Repeat It".
-George Santayana

Nandosagi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
configspace wrote:
@Kelly
Incarcerating someone identified as "mentally ill" or forcibly committing someone is just plain bad. There's no objective measurement that is of any predictive use and many people with a variety of life issues would be unjustly targeted, and many people who seem fine but "snap" later on due to event or circumstances would still not be caught.

I never said anything about incarceration, configspace. That should always be a last resort. What I said was that we need to do a much better job as a society of finding and helping these people before they shoot a place up or push someone off a subway track, both for their sakes and our own.

It would help if you better defined what exactly "helping these people" means in your opinion.

I'm not trying to be combative, I just would like it if you clarified what you mean some more.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
Django was packed, again! Lots of red paint.** We're all done for. We're all gonna be shooters! Laughing
(** They don't make 'em like they used to!)
(The funniest scene was with the KKK burn-raiding!)
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:20 am Reply with quote
Nandosagi wrote:
It would help if you better defined what exactly "helping these people" means in your opinion.

I'm not trying to be combative, I just would like it if you clarified what you mean some more.

I mean ensuring that they are getting therapy and medication if necessary - as well as followup as often as necessary to make sure that medication doesn't need to be adjusted. Perhaps also continuing to destigmatize mental illness to make it easier for their families to feel that they can reach out for help instead of trying to hide the problem.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
What if they don't want therapy or medication? Even if you agree to imprisoning them until they're medicated and therapated, what if they choose to skip their appointments and chuck their prescriptions?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sounds like a good way to dispose of your old crap and get more out it than GameStop would offer.

Unless the group in question ascertains the market price of each donated game in order to provide a certificate of a roughly equal value, this scheme could indeed be used for financial gain. One would expect that second-hand titles of the required sort can be obtained for less than the cost of a typical restaurant discount voucher.
I wouldn't be surprised if they found out Gamestop was covertly behind this whole scheme. Too bad some one didn't think of doing this with all the owners of semi-auto military weapons, and caches of ammo to go with them that too many American citizens think they just can't live without. Rolling Eyes

So armed guards in every school and bullet proof vests for children. Hasn't America come a long way from "Leave It to Beaver"? Certainly not the future they envisioned at the 1964 World's Fair, is it? Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5