• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2011-01-12

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Myoopi + mascot plushie = adorable! Smile
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
And that is why I got the spaces in my bookshef customized. I planed them for absolute editions of Sandman (which I don't have... yet) but they have not fail me for everything else. Hurray for carpenters from the wrong side of the tracks! Very Happy (or more exactly, carpenters who sell their stuff on the tracks... no I am not kidding, the trains do not pass that side anymore though)

Oh my is Myopi humping that plushie! O.o should Nina consider investing in another Myopi like creature? Anime hyper
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
My anime shelves are in a room with a wainscoting-level shelf around it. So my NISA boxes are on the wainscoting behind the actual DVD shelves.

The collection has also outgrown the actual shelves, so "A" partway through "G" is also up there on one side, and part of "K" through "M" on the other. If I buy much more stuff that's alphabetically before "Ghost in the Shell", my SAC season 1 tin box will wind up out-of-order also, as it's too tall for the DVD rack.

Apparently, I just need some more/better shelving.
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
This is why I settle on getting just the show itself.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
This is why I settle on getting just the show itself.
But hard disc drives are butt-ugly no matter how you display them. Cool
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
OMG!!! It's so true. Y'know I can't help but laugh at this because I found myself in the same predicament. I finally decided to take all the VHS tapes off my shelf, move them to storage and make room for my DVDs. So of course I found that trying to arranging them by year doesn't always work. Especially when you have different sizes.

If that boxset comes with a coffee grinder then Paola spent a fortune. I guess the bib is for the drool that comes from watching the show or the coffee you'll spit out from laughter.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
The collection has also outgrown the actual shelves, so "A" partway through "G" is also up there on one side, and part of "K" through "M" on the other. If I buy much more stuff that's alphabetically before "Ghost in the Shell", my SAC season 1 tin box will wind up out-of-order also, as it's too tall for the DVD rack.

Apparently, I just need some more/better shelving.

See, that's the reason I've never even attempted to bother with alphabetizing my DVDs. My system is completely along the lines of, "Does this whole series fit here? Yes? Awesome!" I figure that, since I know where everything is anyway, I don't have to go out of my way to organize things too much. The only part I do regret is that my collection isn't in any real sort of picture-worthy state, since it's split between a few rows at the bottom of my TV stand, a few wire storage cubes, and a shelf-and-a-half of a dresser bookshelf. I'd love to have a single shelving unit where everything would fit.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
I gotta say my favorite "abnormal" anime packaging has got to be my Gantz ball. That doesn't fit anywhere but on top of the shelf.

YES I was totally going to mention that.

I managed to make it fit pretty well by cutting up and rearranging parts of the box it came in so now it looks like it has its own mini-shrine (which is totally not deserving, because come on...it's Gantz).

The problem is going to be when I buy more DVDs and have to do the "shelf tango" as I call it and move everything Anime hyper

And yes, my collection is still alphabetized (R to L lol), only way I've managed to avoid the problem previous poster mentioned is to... just leave the extra space if something won't fit. If I have to move stuff to another shelf eventually, it'll be a glorious day for my collection but 5 18" shelves in one bookshelf seems to hold everything I have, for now Razz
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Wait, if it's alphabetized, why does Gantz come after Ghost?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Dental floss and a coffee grinder? Got to hand it to you Robin, that is pretty original concept. Even better because it's illustrating a point. Bonus items are really what made limited edition box sets worth while to buy or not, depending on the series.

But a dvd coffee table, now that is an interesting idea.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Right to left because I'm a rebel (also because all my ---ge and Japanese manga volumes are organized the same...TMI!)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

Right to left because I'm a rebel (also because all my ---ge and Japanese manga volumes are organized the same...TMI!)

At least it works. I forgot about that Gantz ball. Doesn't anyone remember the 'Giant Robo' ball? That's another one. I purchased a copy of it from a retailer. It took so long to come and when I arrived it looked like it was being used for kicking practice. So I took the case left it at my job, gave the DVDs to a friend, kept the extras disc, purchased the regular 3-pk for $20 (during a sale). So all I have to do now is find a dual tray clip so I convert the single case to a dual, then add the extras disc. Fits perfectly on my shelf now. It might seem like a waste of money but not if you're planning on giving some a late gift who also likes the show and just doesn't get around to buying the show. So it works out in the end.

If you were ones that bought the LE of Ninja Nonsense that's another that won't fit on your shelf and perfectly illustrates Nina's dilemma.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4