• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Voice Actors Win In Court

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's nice to know the Japanese respect voice actors better than SAG.

Actually, I would say that voice acting goes into AFTRA's jurisdiction, not SAG's...
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:20 am Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:
Quote:
Mohawk: Considering they didn't want to support the pay terms for videogame voice acting, and make it force voice actors to go under nicknames to be able to do certain work, I disagree.

Um, actually, SAG actors - ALL SAG actors, not JUST voice actors - already aren't supposed to act in any project that isn't a union project, once they've joined the union. That has nothing to do with descriminating against VAs, it's just the union policy in general (a stupid one, I think, but one done to ALL members nonetheless).

The use of pseudonyms hardly seems to hurt VAs. You can still tell that the same guy plays Spike Speigal, Roger Smith, Shishio, etc., without him having the same name. Also, while they can't work under the same name as their SAG projects, many times everyone knows it's the same actor; SAG can't be THAT stupid, so obviously, they're gracious enough to just look the other way. Again, weird policy, but it's hardly specifically discriminatory towards VAs.

-Andromeda

Once again SAG and AFTRA are two different unions. AFTRA (American Federation of Radio and Television Actors) mostly covers voiceover artists, SAG is for actors that go on screen like television and motion pictures rather than voiceovers.

AFTRA's union settled but SAG will continue to negotiate. No one in the dubbing industry is scabbing with the exception of Disney's Miyazaki dubs, since those use more SAG members than AFTRA.

Get your facts straight or I'll have to slap someone...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Just to let everyone know, the settlement averages out to around US$24,000 per person, which isn't too terrible a figure, considering I know nothing about the case.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:32 am Reply with quote
MugenKeiji wrote:
GATSU wrote:
It's nice to know the Japanese respect voice actors better than SAG.

Actually, I would say that voice acting goes into AFTRA's jurisdiction, not SAG's...
I was told by two of the original cast members of the first 2 Tenchi Muyo OVA's that all the VA's were in the SAG. No mention of AFTRA, though I wouldn't be surprised if some were in both. and how would the SAG VA's, who worked on the Ghibli projects, be "scab labour"? I would think the SAG would beg to differ. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2