• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Let's hope that wasn't the Saban Moon potential version.

Incidentally, here's the B2B merchandise license pitch too.

First video: Oh...my...god, I am so glad it never turned into that vile pit of pig vomit. That was friggin' dreadful ._.

Second video: The name changes and voices were god awful in that ad. Glad it was all changed prior to the show's airing.

That aside, I will say Sailor Moon was one of three anime that dragged me into the anime world early on life (the other two were Voltron and Samurai Pizza Cats). It will always mean something deep to me no matter its age. I never missed an episode. I would love to see the manga come back here with a more accurate translation. I'm dying to see those special attacks that never appeared in the anime and could only be seen in that SM RPG from years ago.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Are you sure about this? I remember watching dubbed Sailormoon episodes on station KTBH(San Francisco) in June 1993. That was the first run of Sailormoon in the US.

The show debuted nationally in the US and Canada in fall 1995. I remember this very distinctly, as the premiere coincided with my return to college and a bunch of anime club dorks all got up early to watch it together. We were mystified - it would take several weeks worth of episodes for the show's appeal to become evident.

I'm not a big fan, but I have a soft spot for the Sailormoon R movie - it was Ikuhara at the top of his game, visually, lots of fun to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
I bought two of the reprint volumes (volumes 9 and 10), and I love them to death. I just finished volume 10 in class the other day (bad me!). Although the old Tokyopop sucked at translation and adaption, I would hope a new company would bring them to English again, with the reprint covers. Until then, I'm glad I can read Japanese. :3
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Adonisus wrote:
Ken Akamatsu?

Also, Hideaki Anno is another zealous fan. He petitionned to do animation work on the series (wiki jp cites the Uranus&Neptune scene in S), recruted several staff for Eva, and even participated in a doujinshi anthology.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was the anime that got me into anime. I was even one of those people with a Sailor Moon website back in the 90s. I only ever read part of the manga when it ran in Mixxzine. I missed out on collecting the volumes and buy the time I got really into manga their prices had already skyrocketed.

If Kodansha does re-release the manga in North America again, I'm all over it.

Interestingly enough last year, I was working on finishing up some series I had one hold. One of which was Sailor V the precursor to Sailor Moon. After reading it, all I could think was that it wasn't very good. I remembered reading Sailor Moon back in the day and was like was it also this bad? So, I found some scans online and thankfully no, it wasn't. I do think you can tell the editors did work some magic into the series, there is a huge jump in both art and writing quality. Not that I think that is something terrible the end product was a really good series and you can still see that it is the creator's work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon didn't arrive on our shores until 2000/01. it was the only anime that I could share with my daughter who was only 6 and 7 during that time. It was aired on CITV and then on what was called Fox-Kids. It was one of the few anime titles still available from Pioneer Entertainment UK and in the video stores on VHS. Also our UK Toys-R-Us sold the dolls and accessories. When it came time to give way unwanted and abandoned toys. I kept the Moon Septor that had the hoky midi sound effects with twinkling LED lights as sadly that was the only thing that survived being played with to near distruction. I wish to God I had got the dolls in their packages as they would be worth a bit of brass today, but my daughter wasn't interested in them strangely, and they were pricy for what they were even then. Oh well opportunities missed. I've proclaimed only just recently that if Toei can get over themselves and re release the anime, and someone like Funimation redubs the uncut series, my money still waits to be given to them for it. I can't be the only one. Wink
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I've proclaimed only just recently that if Toei can get over themselves and re release the anime, and someone like Funimation redubs the uncut series, my money still waits to be given to them for it. I can't be the only one. Wink

You're not. I've never seen any of Sailor Moon, anime or manga, and I would very much like to. The fanbase for the franchise is so large, and so enthusiastic, that I feel it's definitely something I should experience. So yeah, I too am ready and willing to make the investment, should it ever become available again.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, excellent article. Smile As a fan of both the Anime and Manga, it's great to see Sailormoon getting the due it deserves. (Sadly I wasn't able to collect either of the releases 100% before they became out of print by ADV Films or Tokyopop, obviously Sailor Stars anime aside, save for fansubs of it),

At least Japan had something of a revival in recent years with Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (the live-action series) and the Sera Myu musicals before that... And of course, a re-release of the manga (retitled "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon") and the (remastered) anime series more recently.

Hopefully the rumors of Funimation possibly re-releasing the series (maybe including Sailor Stars?) are true; I wouldn't mind a brand new dub, although the DIC and Cloverway dubs are nostalgic in their own ways (I myself first got into Sailormoon and anime in general through Cartoon Network's Toonami back in 1998). But nothing beats Mitsuishi Kotono of course. Wink

But if Funimation DOES re-release the anime, I hope the manga wouldn't be too far behind, since because Sailormoon was one of Tokyopop's first translations, it suffered from many errors (translation-wise including character names such as those that come from mythology) and incorrect pieces of information. (For instance, Naoko's notes were somewhat altered to make it appear she was addressing the English readers (eg: when she would discuss how she moved several times during the course of the manga) when in fact they were comments to the original Japanese audience except when explicitly stated "to my fans in America...")

It would be also nice to see Codename wa Sailor V (which was re-released manga-wise in Japan the same time the Sailormoon manga was re-released) along with Naoko's earlier works get released in Western shores, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. ^^;

At the very least, I hope those nasty rumors of Naoko herself putting a halt on Sailormoon's manga and anime being (re)released outside of Japan have been long stomped, because it's more of Kodansha and Bandai making those decisions then her choice.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I saw a few episodes of Sailor Moon back when it first started showing, but I never got into since I thought it was too girly(I grew up around kids that that were always talking about how dumb girly stuff was). As I got older and started to like anime more and hear more positive things about it from other anime fans I become more interested in it. I've wanted to watch it for a while, but I keep getting sidetracked with other series.
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm so making a doujin Very Happy

if it ever gets a re-release, I'll pre order first thing!
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
giapet wrote:
* IIRC, in the manga the Sailor Stars were women who dressed as men as their idol performer shtick, but in the anime they were originally women whose human/non-scout forms were physically male.

Yup, and when Takeuchi heard about the guy turning into girl thing in the anime, she was understandably peeved at the studio.

Not to mentioned that because of that alone prevented Sailor Stars from being licensed in the US.

I dont blame her for being pissed off but it did make one hell of a twist.

Cant fault them for tryin something new to keep the series interesting, can't they?

Too bad the companies in japan and in the US were too chicken *** in claims "it will ruin series reputation. " Hell their both so chicken footed , that they ( ADV who relicensed the series ) did not even give an uncut dub for season one as well as R that were necessarily edited by DIC since it was a different time in the 90's. Hope some one eventually does another relicense ( alongs that it isn't Media Blasters and/or Section 23 ) of the series and gives the series a better dub as well as convincing Toei to license Stars.

Jason Thompson wrote:
How long are English speakers going to be deprived of Sailor Moon, the manga that made a million fangirls?

No kidding. Your not the only one wondering that . It's cause of this series my sister got into anime , and though i've been watching anime since the late 80's , it's this series during it's run on USA's action extreme team block and again on Toonami's block that got me into anime as a whole completly. Definitely one of my fav series of all time.

Unfortunately cant find the manga for it cause like you said no one have the license and their so FRAKING hard to find. companies are too absorbed into mangas for boys ( mainly a lot of shouen jump titles ) for my taste. well here is to hope that will change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
giapet wrote:
* IIRC, in the manga the Sailor Stars were women who dressed as men as their idol performer shtick, but in the anime they were originally women whose human/non-scout forms were physically male.

Yup, and when Takeuchi heard about the guy turning into girl thing in the anime, she was understandably peeved at the studio.

Not to mentioned that because of that alone prevented Sailor Stars from being licensed in the US.

I don't blame her for being pissed off but it did make one hell of a twist.

can't fault them for tryin something new to keep the series interesting, can't they?

Oh yes we can! If an American company pulled up such a stunt, imagine the fan backlash fury would be. Why the double standard? Remember Zoycite? Laughing
Apashi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
Congrats. I love much of your articles but this is the first one I've read all the way through. Sailor Moon will always hold a special place in my heart and I agree with almost 100% of what you said. Now if you excuse me I have a strong need to watch an ep right now. Very Happy
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
The Sailor Stars anime conundrum is hardly something you can't write around. It's not like you see their privates, so a writer can easily get around it for U.S. TV and just take the whole male angle out and make something up for some of the more unusual situations where they start flirting with the girls. If anything, Sailor Moon spending the entire last episode fully nude would be harder to edit elegantly (unless someone wants to draw a bikini and pants for every frame in that episode, which would look so obvious)

At any rate, the last season at least could have ended up a straight-to-dvd season in the U.S. They didn't "have to" air it.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
At the very least, I hope those nasty rumors of Naoko herself putting a halt on Sailormoon's manga and anime being (re)released outside of Japan have been long stomped, because it's more of Kodansha and Bandai making those decisions then her choice.

According to a reliable source, Takeuchi was having some disagreements with her publisher a few years ago, but those are now resolved so there's no obstacle standing in the way of Sailor Moon being translated and published in English again. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6