• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shows you enjoy from genres you otherwise don't.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Alright, so we all have our own personal taste and preferences that are developed over many years for many different reasons, and so we develop our own taste in genre. Conversely, we all have some genres that just put us off entirely. But occasionally, we may find an occasional anime or two of substantial quality that gives us some pleasant surprise from something that would normally turn you off. For instance, I hate moe with a white hot intense passion, and Japanese-style horror never really got much adulation from me. However, despite that, I managed to really enjoy Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry). After expecting a total disaster of a production, I instead found a fascinating world full of unpredictable, subtle, and downright scary elements told in a unique way ( having a new arc with different character perspectives every five episodes) with some interesting as hell characters in the cast (Rena, especially).

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Looking forward to seeing the results you guys come up with :3.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Chobits is a fascinating (if not quite successful) deconstruction of a genre that I find utterly repellant (the Magical Girlfriend/ecchi thing). I'm not quite sure whether I love it or just like it, but I definitely respect it for that.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
This is manga-based since I haven't seen the anime (yet) but I am usually not a shonen series fan but have been really enjoying reading Soul Eater. It's a fun series and it has a really unique style to it that I enjoy quite a bit.

I also have a soft spot for Gundam Wing, even though mecha anime isn't really something that interests me.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed When They Cry somewhat, I just haven't finished it yet. So I don't have a fully formed opinion on that one.

I'll second Chobits.

I enjoyed Togainu no Chi despite lacking any yaoi interests. However, the other main premise (fighting) falls well into the category of "manly things I watch."

I guess the mostly drama aspect of Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is what would cause me to not normally like something similar, but I loved that one. Not in a happy way though...

marie-antoinette wrote:
This is manga-based since I haven't seen the anime (yet) but I am usually not a shonen series fan but have been really enjoying reading Soul Eater. It's a fun series and it has a really unique style to it that I enjoy quite a bit.

I've seen the anime. It never took itself seriously at all and I think that kept it from being better. However, the first episode was excellent (and could have set it up for being awesome), but the rest of the series was just pretty good.

marie-antoinette wrote:
I also have a soft spot for Gundam Wing, even though mecha anime isn't really something that interests me.

I like mecha anime and I dislike that one...so I guess it makes sense?
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

Well, you got one opinion. How about another? I like the anime more than the manga, almost solely because of the visuals. It's rare for visual panache to matter so much to a work, but I think color and motion really elevate this one. The ending is slightly annoying (without giving away any spoilers, it kind of tosses aside the whole "teamwork" thing that's so huge throughout the show), but most of the anime-original material is pretty good. Stein in particular (my favorite character Very Happy) gets an entire arc that isn't in the manga. This is as a fan of both the manga and the anime, though I have fallen somewhat behind on the former.

With regard to the topic at hand, I'll third Chobits. I really hate that magical girlfriend thing on principle, but Chobits is a unique subversion that ends up examining many of the darker pieces of otaku culture as a whole. Because I like the darker aspects, I do prefer the manga over the anime. Also, Hideki and Chii are cute even if their relationship is ultimately kind of creepy (okay, really creepy) and full of unfortunate implications. My Bride is a Mermaid is theoretically from the same genre, but it's a genuinely funny and charming little comedy that I enjoyed quite a bit despite the meh visuals.

And for some reason I actually enjoyed Deadman Wonderland, which is strange since I usually hate those exploitative gorefests. The ending was stupid, but I liked how shady and underhanded all the characters were xD Some of the fights were cool too, and the opening theme was really neat.

I like shoujo magical girl shows, but hadn't really had any desire to venture into the realm of seinen magical girl shows until I actually sat down and watched Madoka Magica. I ended up rating that one as a "Masterpiece," and may consider watching other shows from that subgenre now.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Princess Tutu, easily. Yeah, I enjoyed Madoka well enough too, though not nearly as much as Tutu. Though I suppose it could be argued Tutu is more of a fantasy ballet then exactly a magical girl series, but "fantasy ballet" doesn't sound very appealing either. But the characters are excellent (go read arguements for Fakir in the current tourney round), the story, which starts off deceptively simple, becomes complex and epic, and the entire last 4 episodes will probably have you crying. Oh and the music? Fits like a glove! It's hard to even care that they didn't have the largest budget.

I can't tell if I should count Simoun or not. Media Blasters advertises it as a yuri, not a genre I'm normally into, but frankly, it's terrible as a yuri. It's fantastic as a fantasy drama character study, and it's what you'll come out remembering after the initial "make out to activate the ships" shock wears off.

I think that ecchi can go dive straight under a lawn mower, but Golden Boy is such a guilty pleasure! It could be that Kintaro is actually not just a sex crazed toilet worshipping pervert, but does actually nice things for people (sometimes after doing jerk things accidentally, like unplugging a primitive computer server that inexplicably cannot back itself up. And takes floppies). And he is eager to learn things, thus having a personality trait outside of "SEX!". Also, I don't think he has sex or tries to rape anyone, another plus for an ecchi hero. The rest of ecchi? No thank you.

I think that's it for me, because at this point, I like pretty well all genres. Though ecchi and harems can still go to hell.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
Edit: How did my response to this thread end up here?

Last edited by Rhyono on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
aleatory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
People have already mentioned Madoka which would have been the first that sprang to mind, the other, and I hesitate to admit this but ... Card Captor Sakura. Never been quite able to put a finger on why I watched, continued to watch or even enjoyed it, but I did, magical girls really are not my thing, I guess unless like Madoka they tend to be a lot darker.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote
Off the top of my head and talking about relatively recent shows, I'd say both Ben-To and Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere were both series that I didn't expect to like. The former because of the ridiculous harem hijinks and the very lame tsundere main girl -which annoyed me to no end- and the latter because the girls had gigantic boobs that made me unconfortable to look at. But Ben-To was really fun and insane and the food looked delicious. Also, I could really picture myself fighting to the death for half price food -and losing espectacularly, but wtv-. As for Horizon, I thought it did a really good job in working with the huge cast and making most of its characters important and interesting (save a few that I never understood what they were doing there). There was also a big variety of fighting styles and powers and the political schemes were actually very well-written -more so in the second season- so I was gleefully surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

I also don't particularly like Horror or Gore series (I've avoided Gantz like the plague) but I realy liked Higurashi and Umineko -more from the mistery aspect than the bloody palooza- they were exciting, interesting and very intriguing, though Umineko's ending was largely unsatisfying. As for horror goes, I also really liked Shiki, the ambience was fantastically built and the brutal shift in the last couple of episodes makes room for a lot of thought about humanity in itself

Lastly, and while I haven't watched the anime, I've recently gotten really hooked up with the Kuroko no Basket manga, even if I've never been one for sports anime (although Hikaru no Go is one of my favorite anime ever, but I'm not sure if Go is really a sport and there's so much more to HnG than just the excitement of the games, even if they are a large part of it). I don't remember being so excited over a manga in a long while, the tension in the basketball matches is amazing and while very ridiculous in how the mangaka comes up with impossible play styles and whatnot, it's always very fun and cool to watch what special moves the players will pull out. Thespoiler[ rematch between Seirin and Touo] nearly killed me, especially since it lastes almost three volumes. It was so goddamn amazing.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
I like mecha anime and I dislike that one...so I guess it makes sense?

Actually, that does generally seem to be the case. People who like the Gundam franchise don't like Gundam Wing and people who like Gundam Wing don't like any of the other Gundam series.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
I'm not too fond of harem shows, but I really enjoyed the first season of Ai Yori Aoshi. The initial few episodes focused on the protagonists and gave them a reason for being there. This did an excellent job of belying its trite and tawdry foundation of boob/bath jokes, and some of the humour actually hit the mark quite nicely for me.

The last few episodes pushed it above the cookie-cutter episodic harem shows that literally go nowhere (either location-wise or relationship-wise).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Genre-wise I can be pretty easy to please, but I'm not a fan of harems, mostly because of the abusive slapstick from the tsunderes and the gratuitous ecchi. So I still can't quite understand why I liked Midori Days so much. I think it's because its harem was small and not so in your face as an actual harem (maybe it's more of a magical girl? I'm bad with classifications), but I think it's mostly that Seiji wasn't a doormat for the girls that loved him (except for his sister, and she wasn't in love with him so much as just flaunting herself at him and abusing him). Anyway, however you classify it, I didn't expect to like it at all, and ended up loving it.

Clannad was another harem I thought I'd hate (and it does have a lot of tropes that make me grind my teeth), and yet it ended up on my shelves. It was probably the music, and the angst of the other world that suckered me in. :)

I'd also have to second Golden Boy as something I ought to have hated but couldn't.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I am also not really one for sports anime, but I love Kuroko's Basketball as well. I'm not quite sure why I like it so much, but it certainly is fun.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I generally avoid the magical girl genre as a whole but there are two exceptions I've seen over the years which I really liked, the Lyrical Nanoha franchise and Puela Magi Madoka Magica. I enjoyed these because they were surprisingly different from the norm and took themselves a bit more seriously. Also there was less long annoying transformation sequences and the content of the stories seemed a bit darker. To a lesser extent I could also add Night Wizard to the list.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not normally a fan of romantic comedies in any medium, especially high school based ones, but I loved Kimi ni Todoke. It was just so hilarious! And Sawako is a gem. By the end of the first episode I was rooting for her. I really liked how Sawako didn't start out having romantic feelings for Kazehaya, and that in the beginning it truly was just admiration. The whole thing is great and very heart-warming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2