• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roseversailles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Are the special features REALLY not going to be subtitled? For the price we're paying, and the fact that we're PAYING FOR THESE SPECIAL FEATURES, we should be able to understand what they're saying (I can speak a little Japanese, but this is pushing it, Aniplex....). I realize they don't want reverse-importation, but this is stupid. I don't care about a dub, but I want that commentary subtitled! Crying or Very sad

Does anyone know if this is set in stone, or might Aniplex change it when we get closer to release date? Maybe they'll do this for a DVD edition later on? This just doesn't seem feasible in this day and age---how many people want a non-subtitled commentary?!
bhl88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Limited edition Blu-Ray/DVD $225
Blu-Ray: $120

Fans: FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

Movie: $100

Fans: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The summary.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to apologize to my wallet for delaying my plan to save my money...AGAIN. There are very few series that I'd pay import prices for and Madoka is one of them. That this is an English-friendly release makes it a lock.

*I know, I know, "saving money" and "anime as a hobby" cannot co-exist together.*
bhl88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
I'd like to apologize to my wallet for delaying my plan to save my money...AGAIN. There are very few series that I'd pay import prices for and Madoka is one of them. That this is an English-friendly release makes it a lock.

*I know, I know, "saving money" and "anime as a hobby" cannot co-exist together.*

Did you buy the Madoka TV series or did you withhold it?
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:

I'll put it this way...I ALSO have the Ultimate Madoka scale figure and volume 1 of the Japanese Blu-Ray. For this series, I really put my wallet through a diet.

Side note: You know this show is a hit when there are subtitles of multiple languages in one disc. I can't think of an title that isn't from Studio Ghibli with this kind of release.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
Side note: You know this show is a hit when there are subtitles of multiple languages in one disc. I can't think of an title that isn't from Studio Ghibli with this kind of release.

There's also the Gundam Unicorn BDs which has more subs than just English.
Mirri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
bhl88 wrote:

I'll put it this way...I ALSO have the Ultimate Madoka scale figure and volume 1 of the Japanese Blu-Ray. For this series, I really put my wallet through a diet.

Every Makoto Shinkai BD has subtitles in many languages as well.

It's not as uncommon practice as you seem to think.

On a different topic, I think that there will be complaints no matter what the price.

$105 for the equivalent of the entire TV series? Just as absurd as $225 for the entire TV series on two different formats of media!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of an OCD-ish physical media completist.

This stuff can get really annoying if you're watching a series with tons of one-shot OVAs and specials that may not even have fansubs.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
hmm 100$...well its not too bad I guess
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
There's also the Gundam Unicorn BDs which has more subs than just English.

Mirri wrote:
Every Makoto Shinkai BD has subtitles in many languages as well.

It's not as uncommon a practice as you seem to think.

That's REALLY cool. It's awesome to see these blu-rays and think about all of the other fans around the world with the exact same disc that I have. I'm all in favor of anything that helps unite the world like this.
bhl88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
bhl88 wrote:

I took my wallet for a diet as well.... almost. $225 + $380 (Volume 2 was autographed) + $100.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
I took my wallet for a diet as well.... almost. $225 + $380 (Volume 2 was autographed) + $100.

Yup, that sounds about right. My heart is hoping for more Madoka after Rebellion but my wallet is adamantly against it.

I only collect my absolute favorites but for those series, I go all-out.

Is it Japanese volume 2 or English and who signed it?
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

There will be a translation of the "deluxe" booklet, apparently.... but there's no mention of there being even that for the commentary track. Yeah, with that extra bit of info, I'll probably be holding off on owning the movies for quite a while. Anime dazed

If the audio commentary is the typical commentary on JP releases, I'm not entirely surprised it's not subbed. Most commentary is just the voice actors bantering back and forth and commenting on the episode. There is no script to go by which can make it hard to translate.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a huge fan of Aniplex's pricing, but honestly for this set... all things considered it actually seems like a fair price, or dare I say, relatively cheap. $50-60 seems to be roughly the price for a single japanese disk, the movies are fairly long if I remember correctly, and they're import... and the price is even being knocked down in stores. It honestly doesn't seem bad. It's the kind of release I expected, no dub and all.

I'm still going to hold off just because I'm not that big a fan of the show and would like to see if they make a slightly cheaper dub release. But I really can't knock 'em for this one.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm okay with the price.

I'm still on the edge about it, given the fact that the commentaries aren't going to be subbed. Part of the reason I like recap films. (Nanoha's film commentaries are awesome )

It's a shame. I had my money ready and everything until I read that. Now, I'm a little hesitant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9