• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
So... For the sake of argument snd curiosity, I'm gonna be a little bit controversial and ask if the violent negative reaction to highly priced imports is due to a sense of entitlement that all anime should be worth X amount of $. How would this be different from a fan who feels that he is entitled to free anime if he feels that anime is worth $0 (and is not willing or able to buy regularly priced NA BD/DVDs)? I mean the "no one is entitled to free anime" is a common rhetoric. What about "no one is entitled to cheap anime (compared to Japan)"?

Nope. I own a few Aniplex titles. Just don't see paying $$ for recaps, no matter how much I liked the original.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
The other point is, their business model, makes Anime exciting again by offering a limited amount of releases. Garden of Sinners? How rare is that and do you actually know anyone who has that Blu Ray box set? Probably not and if you did, you know their a hardcore fan to spend that kind of money and it makes that release, that much more unique and special.

I find your consumerist fetishism disturbing. Aniplex must adore you.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
These are definite no-purchases for me, since I have yet to upgrade to Blu-ray, cannot afford import prices, and no English dub. I'll wait until a true, domestic release is done. Why is Aniplex USA so damn inconsistent in their releases?
NeoBasch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
You'd get hit with import duties where you live? My first thought was that the LE BD set was ~$20 cheaper at AmazonJP (without shipping charges, but still including Japanese sales tax) than at TRSI, but TRSI will have the booklet translation. Is that worth $20 to me? Hmm...

Really? They must have dropped the price. The last time I checked it was $120 (retail is like $160 if I remember right) + at least $30 for shipping. And, there's only one possible shipping method for where I live. Forget that.

I'll pick Aniplex USA's release any day of the week over that.

Also, I hope people know these movies have a ton of redone animation and background art, and new music, and a new updated script with rerecorded voice work.... Yeah, that's more than worth it for one of the best animes ever.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
For this amount of money....You might as well buy the series on BluRay the first two films are just recaps anyway and the series actually has a dub. (don't like the dub? Well no matter that's what the subtitle function is for)

Why cram all these extras in if you aren't subtitle them anyway? Why do they need French, Spanish, Chinese, and Korean subtitles when chances are it's going to be Region Restricted anyway. (okay the French has at least a reason for North America's sake). What's in the booklet? Probably just an art booklet anyway.

Aniplex learn from Bandai charging Japanese prices in the American market doesn't work. That's why people stopped buying Bandai's products. This is why people pirate.

Did I like Madoka? Yes! enough to blow a weeks pay on? No.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
A question for anyone who knows: the first two films are compilation films, but the third is completely new material, correct?

I'd be interested to hear what people thought of the two compilation films.

They weren't as good as the TV series. The TV Series has more breathing room to let what's happening sink in for the audience and it's a bit more gentle about letting the sadness and happiness sink in with regards to music. For example, Homura's scene with Kyubey at the end of episode 9 in the anime is gently harsh about letting the tragedy of the situation sink in. In the movie, it's incredibly over-the-top, essentially beating the audience over the head with how horrible things are. It's sort of the same problem Les Miserables' recent movie adaptation had: there's so much being thrown at the audience because the movie is desperate to cram as much relevant material as possible in that the experience just becomes emotionally exhausting. Stick with the Madoka TV Series: The movies are an inferior cash-grab (Thankfully the next movie won't be bound by the problem of trying to cram material in to fit time constraints). Though the Madoka movies do serve as an interesting lesson in how much editing and music can effect a story, which I do think a number of people take for granted. Anime smile
streexanime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
So... For the sake of argument snd curiosity, I'm gonna be a little bit controversial and ask if the violent negative reaction to highly priced imports is due to a sense of entitlement that all anime should be worth X amount of $. How would this be different from a fan who feels that he is entitled to free anime if he feels that anime is worth $0 (and is not willing or able to buy regularly priced NA BD/DVDs)? I mean the "no one is entitled to free anime" is a common rhetoric. What about "no one is entitled to cheap anime (compared to Japan)"?

I believe it's more of people having a difference of expectations between two different economies and markets. The Japanese media economy is not the American media company. And the American anime market is definitely not the Japanese anime market.

Even as I compare Japanese book prices to American book prices. They have much cheaper books when you look at it. Comics, cookbooks, etc.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
These are definite no-purchases for me, since I have yet to upgrade to Blu-ray, cannot afford import prices, and no English dub. I'll wait until a true, domestic release is done. Why is Aniplex USA so damn inconsistent in their releases?

If you should be mad at them for inconsistencies let it be the fact that they are not including subtitles with the extras.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Why cram all these extras in if you aren't subtitle them anyway?

Why? Because this is first and foremost a Japanese release. Why wouldn't it have standard extras like non-scripted voice actor commentary?

Quote:

Why do they need French, Spanish, Chinese, and Korean subtitles when chances are it's going to be Region Restricted anyway. (okay the French has at least a reason for North America's sake). What's in the booklet? Probably just an art booklet anyway.

Because the Americas (outside of like one country), Korea, Japan, Taiwan and HK (the two major Chinese speaking markets regarding anime) are all in the same blu-ray region.

It is also quite possible that Aniplex of Japan presses the disc as a region-free disc or dual-coded with Region A and B.

Last edited by superdry on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
NeoBasch wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
You'd get hit with import duties where you live? My first thought was that the LE BD set was ~$20 cheaper at AmazonJP (without shipping charges, but still including Japanese sales tax) than at TRSI, but TRSI will have the booklet translation. Is that worth $20 to me? Hmm...

Really? They must have dropped the price. The last time I checked it was $120 (retail is like $160 if I remember right) + at least $30 for shipping. And, there's only one possible shipping method for where I live. Forget that.

That's the MSRP, but its only about $85 to order from Amazon.jp. $20 for shipping if its the only item, but if you order several items, while it goes up, its less per item so it feels like less of a rip. In any case, if its the only thing you order, the price would be about what AoA is charging.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Why? Because this is first and foremost a Japanese release. Why wouldn't it have standard extras like non-scripted voice actor commentary?

They knew they were going to release the same version in US (I really don’t think this was a last minute decision), so to me it really boggles the mind that they wouldn’t sub the extra features (even in English only and not the other languages). Other multi country releases like the “Cat Shit One” ONA BD and DVD had subbed extras and so did all of the Honneamise/Bandai Visual USA BDs.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Why do they need French, Spanish, Chinese, and Korean subtitles when chances are it's going to be Region Restricted anyway. (okay the French has at least a reason for North America's sake). What's in the booklet? Probably just an art booklet anyway.

Because the Americas (outside of like one country), Korea, Japan, Taiwan and HK (the two major Chinese speaking markets regarding anime) are all in the same blu-ray region.

It is also quite possible that Aniplex of Japan presses the disc as a region-free disc or dual-coded with Region A and B.

France (Wakanim) and Spain (Selecta Vision) will be doing their own Japan direct import distribution. It's pretty much safe to say Korea and Taiwan (should be Muse Communication) will do the same (not sure about Hong Kong). Cost wise, it makes more sense for Aniplex JP to press the disc with multiple subtitle options.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

If you should be mad at them for inconsistencies let it be the fact that they are not including subtitles with the extras.

Yeah it seems a little weird to advertise extras that we can't enjoy.

What I was talking about was their release patterns. Sometimes they do imports. Sometimes not (like with Sword Art Online). Sometimes they do billingual DVD and Blu-ray releases here. Sometimes not. What pisses me off the most (other than their pricing) is that they only sell on one obscure website (RightStuf.com). Aniplex would make a LOT more money by selling their stuff on Amazon.com, DeepDiscount.com, Walmart.com, etc. Literally ALL the other anime companies do it, including Discotek, and even Nozomi, who is owned by RightStuf.

However, at least Aniplex pursues TV deals (which I feel is the most important part about getting an anime product out there)...

At least Bandai Visual got their physical product out to the mass market. They failed because most of the titles they put out were simply not very popular over here. At least they had some affordable regular releases, it was stupid putting expensive limited editions on store shelves. I own their limited edition Patlabor movie release, and it's a nice set, but I certainly wouldn't have paid $90 for it (I paid $15). There are a couple things Aniplex has that definitely have some mainstream appeal here (as much as anime can get anyway without being freakin Pokemon, Sailor Moon, or Dragon Ball Z). I wonder if Bandai Visual was nearly as polarizing as Aniplex is (I mean, just look at these threads. The FUNimation, Viz, or Sentai threads certainly don't become like this).
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
For this amount of money....You might as well buy the series on BluRay the first two films are just recaps anyway and the series actually has a dub. (don't like the dub? Well no matter that's what the subtitle function is for)

With the movies, you're basically getting the TV series at a cheaper price. If you don't want the dub, then why not get this upcoming set?

Quote:

Because it would be very expensive to translate them into all of the languages mentioned below? The movies have scripts for translators to work with. All of the extras probably have to be translated after listening to the audio (multiple times, I presume), and I think that that would be much more time consuming. The rest of the world isn't the primary market.

Quote:
Why do they need French, Spanish, Chinese, and Korean subtitles when chances are it's going to be Region Restricted anyway. (okay the French has at least a reason for North America's sake).

The BDs are going to be sold globally, so it makes sense to include those languages. Most Japanese BDs are not region-coded, IIRC.

Quote:
What's in the booklet? Probably just an art booklet anyway.

Interviews with cast or prominent production crew members? Production info? I haven't seen any information about it. There was plenty to translate in the Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero booklets.

Quote:
Aniplex learn from Bandai charging Japanese prices in the American market doesn't work. That's why people stopped buying Bandai's products. This is why people pirate.

Aniplex knows that Bandai failed. They're not doing things the same way.

Quote:
Did I like Madoka? Yes! enough to blow a weeks pay on? No.

Then be happy with the TV series and don't worry about the movies, and don't worry about all this.

luffypirate85 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Why is Aniplex USA so damn inconsistent in their releases?

What's inconsistent about them not subtitling unscripted commentary and other extras on a Japanese release? That seems pretty standard to me.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Also, they ARE inconsistent, because some releases do have the extras subbed, Oreimo for instance, has the character commentaries subbed, and it's an import Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9