• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Planetes (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
^
If you honestly don't like the fact that that I called you out on trolling, then by all means please* complain to Zac Bertschy.

*Pretty please; with sugar on top of it.

A decent thing to do would be just to apologise for characterizing a fellow member with blatantly incorrect description. But if Zac is the way to deal with it, then so be it.

Cam0: of course, I am talking about what is going to be the most feasible, considering developments in science and technology. People may not care to track it, but I do. If you would talk about this to any tech-savvy person, the chances that they will agree that my opinions are not "peculiar" on this.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
For the record, I don't think MaxSouth is a troll. He just has some... peculiar opinions.

Yes, I think that's the best way to put it. Wink

MaxSouth: Are you aware that this series was made with full consultations by the Japanese Space Agency and NASA? (One or both are listed in the credits for the series.) The latter are even interviewed in the extras that came with the DVD releases, and IIRC the only part of the portrayal that they questioned was how financially feasible a Debris Section would actually be.

Now, the series was made in 2003-2004 (and those extras were probably filmed in 2005 for the American DVD releases), so perhaps there have been substantial developments on the space debris front in the past decade. Barring that, though, I am going to trust the opinions of NASA scientists on how much of this premise is or is not realistic over anything you say unless you can point to specific articles (from credible scientific sources) which back up your claims.

And I think you'll find, as you watch more of the series, that it has immensely more "hard" science than in any other anime sci fi series out there. The writers and directors actually did know what they were doing on the science front, and that is a point of virtually universal agreement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
If you would talk about this to any tech-savvy person, the chances that they will agree that my opinions are not "peculiar" on this.

I meant in general, not necessarily in this particular instance.

MaxSouth wrote:
Cam0: of course, I am talking about what is going to be the most feasible, considering developments in science and technology.

To me it seemed that you used a prediction as a fact to shoot down the premise of this show. Sure you could predict what is most likely going to happen, but it is a prediction nonetheless and no one can accurately predict what is going to happen 60 years from now when there are so many variables to consider.
lem

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
at this point this will sound like an echo, but I rather enjoyed Planetes for what it is way back when so...

MaxSouth wrote:
"As usual"?

spoiler[the premise is about space debris, but by 2075, the time of setting, this issue would be already resolved (a fully automated process would be active: satellites with electromagnets and other methods would grab the garbage)

by 2075 there will be no need for cosmonauts or astronauts at all, everything is going to be fully robotic

Data will get to navigational matrix on its own, there is no need for manual operator for that -- it is space control center of 2075, not 1975. Though even by 1968 (computers were already used in both USSR and USA space centres, it was not manual at the time either)

Japanese workers that are prepared for jobs with international setting perfectly know the etiquette: they will not scream while they are presenting themselves

such clumsy empty-head character as presented would never pass to be in space, even by lax standards of 2075

and yes, astronauts (even though they will not be necessary) will be taught to confirm they got a message

debris-cleaning operations will not be held just 58 minutes before fatal crush with a satellite, it would be done earlier]

This is a good example of what happens when you confuse what you would like to see, or rather what you wish that you experienced in your anime and then proceed to post about it as if it were truth.

Just a few examples of this, in your own words:

"everything is going to be fully robotic"As if you know these things for fact. You don't. So it's just you wishing they had consulted you first.

"the premise would be already resolved" Again, you weren't there. So you don't know.

"by 2075..." Welcome back from the future?

okay so you don't like the premise and perhaps a few other "details". The things is though, It's already been done. If you want a different one, then feel free to produce your own show. I'm looking forward to it!

The problem here is not what you present, but how.

That and your inability to rewrite entire shows that have already been produced and then redistribute them to the entire fandom for the best possible viewing experience.

As usual?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
For the record, I don't think MaxSouth is a troll. He just has some... peculiar opinions.

At one point I thought he was a troll because his posts come off as very trollish. But over time I have become convinced that he really believes the things he writes. I mostly don't respond to his posts any more but I am not inclined to complain either.

On this topic, yes there are some discontinuities with some of the interactions but you can almost always write a "why did they do that" essay and I think it is mostly pointless. Just like a real life person you either like the personality (or respond to it) or you don't. There was nothing that fractured the story in any meaningful way.

Where the criticism goes off the rails though is the complaint that the technological world wouldn't likely be what the anime depicts. In fact they have done a very good job of portraying what life in a zero-G habitat might be like. And yes there will be anachronisms that exist for whatever reason. You know that because it happens today. Last week we had a train wreck in the U.S. and last year one in Spain because we are still using human operators that simply created errors. Why aren't we just using robots for driving trains? We have the technology.

So I suppose on that standard the world we are living in can't really exist. Come to think of it I don't have the flying car I was promised back in the '60s. Well damn.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
I gave up on watching Planetes because it just was not holding my interest. I kept thinking of other things that I would rather be watching.
So my comments are based on only the first eight or ten episodes, which I watched sporadically over a few months.

The general depiction of people living and working in orbit seemed very realistic to me. However, I do join MaxSouth in thinking that the technology for dealing with orbital debris should have been more advanced than what was shown.
However, I do not consider that to be a flaw in the writing. It is just a different, and perhaps more pessimistic, expectation of what might happen in the future.

I am old enough to have watched the manned moon landings on television.
From the perspective of the young person that I was then the current state of space travel and technology is literally primitive compared to what I had expected. I really, seriously, thought that I would be able to take a vacation at a resort on the moon by now.
So I am definitely not going to say that the writers of Planetes are wrong for having expectations that differ from my own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I really, seriously, thought that I would be able to take a vacation at a resort on the moon by now.

As a kid in the late fifties/early sixties I was one of the winners in some contest on a cereal box that made me eligible to reserve a seat on a commercial PanAm space flight. This was years before 2001: A Space Odyssey so I have to assume PanAm really was considering getting into the commercial space travel business.

PanAm. RIP. They couldn't even manage to get more than one season on television either.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I liked it very much commercial/large scale space colonization was always among my interests. Though it wasn't a masterpiece if compared to other shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Cam0 wrote:

Yes, I think that's the best way to put it. Wink

MaxSouth: Are you aware that this series was made with full consultations by the Japanese Space Agency and NASA? (One or both are listed in the credits for the series.) The latter are even interviewed in the extras that came with the DVD releases, and IIRC the only part of the portrayal that they questioned was how financially feasible a Debris Section would actually be.

Now, the series was made in 2003-2004 (and those extras were probably filmed in 2005 for the American DVD releases), so perhaps there have been substantial developments on the space debris front in the past decade. Barring that, though, I am going to trust the opinions of NASA scientists on how much of this premise is or is not realistic over anything you say unless you can point to specific articles (from credible scientific sources) which back up your claims.

And I think you'll find, as you watch more of the series, that it has immensely more "hard" science than in any other anime sci fi series out there. The writers and directors actually did know what they were doing on the science front, and that is a point of virtually universal agreement.

I did notice that in some aspects the show is aware of technology and laws of physics, so it is quite possible that it was made with consultations from professionals (and I also agree that most of space shows are worse in it than this project).

But the issue for consultants was that the very concept itself was nonsensical (id est the need of humans to collect debris in 2075), and they could have no ways to change it.

This is why in such cases I would say to authors: if you have a story, but can not come up with futuristic setting that makes sense, move it back.

It is not unsimilar to, say, Gravity film, which was profoundly nonsensical in what was shown to happen there. As result, great psychologic drama was ruined for viewers like me who could not detach themselves from common sense. If authors would move the story to, say, underwater settings, it would not look ridiculous and might be genuine, believable piece of art.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Please go troll someone else's thread. Thanks for the bump, though.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
^
Smile Very Happy Laughing
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
I did notice that in some aspects the show is aware of technology and laws of physics, so it is quite possible that it was made with consultations from professionals

The extras on my DVD copy has several interviews with the NASA scientists that participated in the production. So yes indeed it is "quite possible."

Also from the wikipedia article:

Quote:
The Japanese space agency JAXA served as a technical consultant to the series.[7][8] The US version of the DVDs featured interviews with two scientists from NASA's Orbital Debris Section.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
I did not contest that the show had consultants.

Kruszer wrote:
Please go troll someone else's thread. Thanks for the bump, though.

This means you do not have anything in essence to say, so you are only left to troll by putting those provocative one-liners?

Give some arguments or abstain; this discussion board rule is not that hard to follow.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
I did not contest that the show had consultants.

No, but you seem to be actively pooh-poohing any value or relevancy they could add to the series.

As I've said before, I don't think you're (intentionally) trolling, but you tick people off with the way you nitpick everything to death, including judging shows based on factors that are demonstrably wrong, making claims for what a show should be doing to be realistic without reasonable foundation (particularly the case here), and showing not even the slightest iota of tolerance for dramatic license. Granted, on the last point there are plenty of series which go way too far and deserve criticism for it, but you set your standards so ridiculously high that I am continually left wondering why you even bother to watch anime since it almost never satisfies you (or is ever going to).

Actually, given how picky you are about details, I'd almost be interested to see what you would say about Flag, but that's a topic for another thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
The manga is better anyway

It's a character story, the logistics of the setting weren't supposed to be that important. the author could have told roughly the same story in any time period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7