• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Dub Casts for Fujiko Mine, Eureka 7 AO, Michiko & Hatchin Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing.

Sonny Strait's Lupin has always been one of the worse, there with Dufris and Robertson. He makes my favorite manga/anime character sound like a complete goober all the time. He has no ability to play Lupin's more smooth, sardonic, or darker sides. He just makes Lupin sound like a complete nerd. Lupin the Nerd should be his name. Every time I hear his Lupin I want to shove him into a locker, and I was the one getting shoved in there!

Chris Sabat and Mike McFarland are such nonentities as Jigen and Goemon. They clearly don't have a passion for the roles because they always sound bland and forgettable. I know that Goemon in particular is fairly low-key, but McFarland is one of the dullest VAs in the Funimation pool. He has zero presence. And Sabat's Jigen always seem to be half asleep.

Why bring Richard Epcar onto a Lupin III cast and then cast him as a different character than he usually is? That's just absurd. It's like casting Kevin Conroy as Alfred or Steven Blum as Vicious. If you have Epcar, you make him Jigen. Otherwise, don't bother using him. Funimation has a ton of people who can play Zenigata. Why go through the trouble of getting Epcar when you can just as easily cast John Swasey or Kent Williams? They're just trying to sell the product with his name attached.

The only reasonable casting is Michelle Ruff as Fujiko. Her sexpot portrayal of Fujiko is scores ahead of Meredith McCoy's much more masculine-sounding version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
"Meh" on nearly all of the dub announcements. I've never been too fond of FUNimation's Lupin dubs, so while it is kind of neat to see a mix of the LA and TX versions, I'd much rather have seen this outsourced to LA. (Tony Oliver's Lupin was the best, IMO. And Epcar on his third different main Lupin role? Anime hyper) Unfortunately, FUNi sounds like they are having Ruff do the overbaked oversexed female voice like they like to have their requisite actresses do. It's hard to take any of them (or the dubs) seriously like that, & given how suitably sexy Ruff's performance was in Pt. II, it seems unnecessary, too. And are we getting "Lupon" or "Lupin"? (Please the former…)

BWAHAHAHA!! Micah Solusod as Ao? Slick of you, FUNimation. 'Nuff said on that one… Wink

As for Monica Rial, it's good to be able to hear her do a more mature voice again, given how pigeonholed her roles have been in FUNimation dubs over the years and what she's really capable of. On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure she matches up with the vocal style of the character in the Japanese version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
All I'll say is this:

I really, REALLY hope Monica Rial uses her Lara Gonzales voice from School Rumble for Michiko.

BTW, why is everyone so surprised she's voicing the obviously Hispanic character? I mean.... She's half Hispanic herself on her dad's side. She even joked about the fact on the Okami-san commentary with Brina Palencia... who is ALSO half-Hispanic.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
The castlist for Ao looks great, I'm always glad to see more Micah Solusod. Hope the show ends up on Toonami after E7's run, though I'll likely end up buying it anyway.

I'm not sure about Eureka herself, since I haven't seen the show, but Renton showing up is technically a spoiler so it's not surprising his VA was not announced. I'm hoping for their original actors to come back though.

Plus he doesn't show up until way later on so I'm not surprised they didn't announce it either.

As for what I think about the dub so far: I think that Micah's voice is too mature for Ao, but that's just me (even his papa had a higher voice lol). Now I think I'll wait to continue on with this series when it comes out in English. I only got up to episode 2. I can't say anything about anyone else's voice because I can't remember what they sound like lol.

I do like Micah though. He did a great job as Soul. I'll wait to see how it goes Smile
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
All I'll say is this:

I really, REALLY hope Monica Rial uses her Lara Gonzales voice from School Rumble for Michiko.

BTW, why is everyone so surprised she's voicing the obviously Hispanic character? I mean.... She's half Hispanic herself on her dad's side. She even joked about the fact on the Okami-san commentary with Brina Palencia... who is ALSO half-Hispanic.

From what I remember her saying from the convention I went to was that her family was from Spain and she spent time there when she was younger. However, I see no problem with people voicing characters outside of their race, I mean it happens all the time, and is generally handled well. I imagine she will do a good job with the character.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:45 am Reply with quote
After... such a long wait, it'a hard to believe that Black Lagoon and Michiko & Hatchin are finally here.

God damn lol

As for the dubs, I'm just gonna assume that Michiko and Lupin will turn out fine.

EDIT:

Nyron wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
Question: I like the art of Michiko and Hatchin, but know nothing about it. Is it actually good?

Of course it's good. If you were a fan of Bebop or Champloo at all, and you should be, this show is amazing. Hell, it's a lot better than AO, that's for sure.

Oh yeah, regarding this, from what I can remember of Michiko and Hatchin, I actually found it fairly different than Watanabe's work (though, Sayo Yamamoto has worked under Watanabe, which might explain some similarities).

Like... there was this distinctly feminine perspective in Michiko (and, subsequently, Fujiko, which Yamamoto also did) that you wouldn't get in other shows, even from stuff by Morio Asaka (who... Yamamoto has also worked under lol).

Even the bickering that went on between Michiko and Hatchin felt a lot more cutthroat than any of the stuff between the unit of friends in Bebop and Champloo for some reason (which is interesting considering that Mugen and Jin have tried to kill each other a bunch of times).

Was really worth watching.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I think that Micah's voice is too mature for Ao, but that's just me (even his papa had a higher voice lol). ...

I do like Micah though. He did a great job as Soul. I'll wait to see how it goes Smile

Oh~, so that's who this person is... Confused He's the reason I (as well as a friend of mine) never watch Soul Eater on Saturday nights. Interesting that you think that he did a good job as Soul, which he did. I think his voice is flawless, especially when used in the right places. Unfortunately, this is where we differ, as for me, his voice was much too mature sounding for the character of Soul that the series was trying to put across. That's saying a lot as I usually play give the benefit of the doubt to anime dubs. Surprised

For Ao in Eureka Seven: AO, I may be more receptive to Solusod's voice, based on the trailer anyway. Although, I shall wait a bit longer in making any total judgment on how comfortable I am with it. (I'm at least more comfortable with what I heard in the Astral Ocean trailer here than I was hearing the first few episodes of Soul Eater. Wink)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
Awesome will be picking up all 3 of these (plus ofcourse the Black Lagoon Roberta OVAs which got announced with these).

Hagaren Viper wrote:
The castlist for Ao looks great, I'm always glad to see more Micah Solusod. Hope the show ends up on Toonami after E7's run, though I'll likely end up buying it anyway.

I'm not sure about Eureka herself, since I haven't seen the show, but Renton showing up is technically a spoiler so it's not surprising his VA was not announced. I'm hoping for their original actors to come back though.

It would be very cool if it aired on Toonami after E7 finishes.

Good point, I guess it makes sense that they haven't announced their VAs yet but I REALLY hope they come back, if they get both Sheh and JYB back the casting looks pretty cool and may even have a chance to make the show a little better. I'm looking forward to seeing it again in English as I far more enjoyed Eureka Seven dubbed.
spoiler[Sheh especially needs to be back IMO since Eureka is definitely the emotional backbone and really needs to feel 100% right to the audience in the scenes of her somewhat limited amount of screen time.]

Ao will also give off even more Renton (dub) vibes with the awesome Solusod voicing him, already felt right in the trailer.

Sooo hyped to finally watch this new Lupin in dub form! Can't wait to finally own Michiko & Hatchin after all this time re-watch it for the first time in a while with the new dub.
TG72

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:15 am Reply with quote
All these announcements, yet no word on upcoming Fairy Tail? Come on, Funimation. Give me the scoop on Oracion Seis, Carla and Wendy...
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote
Seeing Richard Epcar and Michelle Ruff in a Funimation dub is not only odd but this is kinda cool to see. Hopefully this dub will be interesting. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Seeing Richard Epcar and Michelle Ruff in a Funimation dub is not only odd but this is kinda cool to see. Hopefully this dub will be interesting. Very Happy

Yeah.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
When I first heard about E7 AO, I was convinced Greg Ayres would be voicing Ao, based on my exposure to him as Ganta on the similarly art styled Deadman Wonderland. Pleasantly surprised to see I was wrong.

Micah Solusod is a worthy replacement to my mind's guess though. What with all the confusion in his voice being similar to JYB's, he's a perfect voice to be JYB's "son", even if he does do a deeper voice than JYB's Renton was.

And as everyone else said, I hope Stephanie Sheh voices Eureka again. And depending on why the Japanese dub replaced Renton(since he did have a female VA in Japan on E7, who logically can't voice a grown man), either have JYB or Crispin Freeman voice Adult Renton. And of course I hope it airs on Toonami as well, been hoping for that since I heard E7 was coming back to AS/Toonami.

(And to speak on the others, I don't know anything about Michiko & Hatchin, but kudos on bringing back Michelle Ruff as Fujiko, and Epcar too albeit in a different role. That's one thing I love about Funimation, their willingness to outsource VAs for roles that have been previously voiced in other regions. That gives me hope for a return of Sheh and JYB/Freeman to AO.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
The LIII cast is not too surprising, though I would have liked Epcar to be Jigen again.

penguintruth wrote:
It's like casting Kevin Conroy as Alfred or Steven Blum as Vicious.

Steve Blum would actually do quite well as Vicious, who had a rather unremarkable voice in the English dub. Blum did a good job as Amon in The Legend of Korra, he would just have to put a little more anger into that voice.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
All these announcements, yet no word on upcoming Fairy Tail?

Coming in July. Aren't you subscribed to them on Youtube? They sent the trailers for Fairy Tail part 5 and One Piece season 5, 1st voyage the other day.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Happy for AO, but gotta wonder where the hell is guilty crown
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5