• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online to Air on Toonami Starting in August

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:

Wow what a horrid generalization. Not to mention "hilariously unrealistic". It's fiction genius, it's already separated itself from the notions of being realistic. Laughing

It however is not separated from the demands of decent characterization, consistent plotting and not being a misogynistic shitpile.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Anyway, who else gets depressed at how little love is being shown for DVD users anymore? It's not like everybody has Blu-ray players now, it's not even close to being mainstream yet. So why limit all of your other customers by stripping down the DVD releases most of them will be buying? The only reason I can fathom is that they just hope people will make the switch to Blu-ray so they can get all of the extra goodies.

For anime fans, its the norm.. especially for a Japanese company trying to do a physical release. In Japan, for non fujoshi titles like this, generally 80-90% of their sales are through BD. Granted, a lot of that is because Japan is ahead of the West in technology along with anime fans being more tech savvy than others, but anime is really focusing on the BD market now. Some big titles don't even get DVD releases anymore like Fate/Zero, Horizon and Love Live.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sat May 25, 2013 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:

Wow what a horrid generalization. Not to mention "hilariously unrealistic". It's fiction genius, it's already separated itself from the notions of being realistic. Laughing

What Fencedude said.

But as an actual amateur writer let me school you myself--the common "B-BUT ITS FICTION GUYS" excuse is utterly daft. If you are writing a story that is supposed to be taken seriously (and SAO is such a story), then there is a certain level of realism that is to be expected when writing characters and their interactions. The unrealism in whatever else is happening is irrelevant. If you have unrealistic characters, you have Bad Writing.

Stop trying to excuse fanfic-level god-awful writing with "BUT IT'S FICTION GUYS!"
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
4 blu ray sets for $100 each...so almost half a grand for a 26 episode series..yeah good luck buddy
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
What Fencedude said.

But as an actual amateur writer let me school you myself--the common "B-BUT ITS FICTION GUYS" excuse is utterly daft. If you are writing a story that is supposed to be taken seriously (and SAO is such a story), then there is a certain level of realism that is to be expected when writing characters and their interactions. The unrealism in whatever else is happening is irrelevant. If you have unrealistic characters, you have Bad Writing.

Stop trying to excuse fanfic-level god-awful writing with "BUT IT'S FICTION GUYS!"

Again, that's just your opinion, and it's far from a universally-held one about the show. The writing has some flaws - no question about that! - but it's nowhere near as bad as you and certain others are making it out to be and the series is certainly more entertaining than its writing level.

(And yes, since you seem to have made it your mission to trash the series at every single opportunity - including multiple times in this thread - you can expect a rebuttal from me every single time.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryasha

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
TypicalUsername wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:
Thanks Aniplex. Now I appreciate Funimation and Sentai Filmworks that much more.

I can't justify a series costing 10 full priced videogames. That is 2 years worth of games for me. Not to mention next gen game consoles, PC upgrades and REASONABLY PRICED anime series, I have no patience for Aniplex. My Madoka Blurays are the last straw.

Good Lord, Anime Fans in the US are about like every other US citizen whiny and spoiled. How can you appreciate Sentai, who doesn't even give you an option about purchasing a BD release on some titles, and just don't offer it when most of the 1080 masters exist? However, just because AoA has a property that they want to make a decent margin to make it worth it to them. People hate on them. I prefer having options to not having options. With their price point they've decided to take less risk if a title fails. I see no problem with it.

Great for you being able to afford their expensive products. Not everyone can.

It's not so much being "whiny and spoiled" and a little more to do with the fact that the prices they charge are well above the norm due to things like reverse importation fears.

Because I can't afford to pay their prices for series I would like to own, I turn to Sentai and Funimation and appreciate them more because I can in fact afford their products.
So what if they don't offer me BD sometimes? It's not inherently their fault since they're told they can't sell them, yet again due to those importation fears. Even without the BD, I can still get a series for a reasonable price on DVD and be happy.

I'd rather have fewer options that I can afford as opposed to several options, none of which are in my budget.

I know what they are doing from a business and economical standpoint but I can't agree with it simply because it alienates myself and others like me who are not fortunate to have such deep pockets or the ease to go out and get additional jobs just to pay for them.
Which in itself is ridiculous. If I have to get another job just to pay for a series, it's too expensive and simply not worth it.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Again, that's just your opinion, and it's far from a universally-held one about the show. The writing has some flaws - no question about that! - but it's nowhere near as bad as you and certain others are making it out to be and the series is certainly more entertaining than its writing level.

(And yes, since you seem to have made it your mission to trash the series at every single opportunity - including multiple times in this thread - you can expect a rebuttal from me every single time.)

I didn't want to get involved in this, but holy crap do I hate it when people use the "it's just an/my opinion!" defense. Chagen46 has made legitimate points. Your response? "IT'S NOT THAT BAD AND THIS IS AN OPINION SO LA LA LA LA LA YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID."

You can like a show all you want, but flaws are flaws and opinions can only go so far. Your response here is especially daft when you consider what you are actually responding to, because it is not specific to Sword Art Online at all. It is a rule of good writing and anyone who thinks it is just an "opinion" does not deserve to be taken seriously.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Something subjective like entertainment quality is 100% opinion, and will always be. A "Flaw" to one person might not be bad, or even a good thing, to another person. Theres no objective way to say the writing is good or not, so it just comes down to opinion.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Something subjective like entertainment quality is 100% opinion, and will always be. A "Flaw" to one person might not be bad, or even a good thing, to another person. Theres no objective way to say the writing is good or not, so it just comes down to opinion.

Enjoyment is subjective. Quality is not.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And its my opinion that Kyoukaisen is a masterpiece and your opinion that its a nonsensical piece of shit.

What the fudge does the fact that its an OPINION have to do with anything? OF COURSE ITS A GODDAMN OPINION.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Don't ignore the "enjoyment is subjective" part. Something can be of high quality but not grasp the interest of many people; Aria the Animation/Natural/Origination is probably a good example of this. Conversely, something can be completely devoid of quality and still garner a huge fanbase, like Sword Art Online or Twilight.

I agree with your argument - hell, I've said essentially the same thing myself on many occasions - but not your use of SAO as an example. (I haven't ever seen any of the other two, so I won't comment on those.) If you had said "it's not a top-quality series" then I would fully agree with you; heck, I gave the series only middling grades on writing for both arcs. And I don't think that I've ever denied that its entertainment value well exceeds its qualitative value. I will vociferously disagree with you, and anyone else who wants to comment, that the writing is total s***, however. I know what "it's awful but it still entertained me" looks like, and that's not SAO. You and others claim that there are incontrovertible writing flaws; I can point to things that the series does right which should be equally incontrovertible by the same writing standards you claim to be judging the series by. If the series was truly as awful as you claim it was, would those factors still be there?

I do, to an extent, believe that there are certain qualitative factors that can be objectively good or objectively bad. When people get such a mad-on hate for a title that they refuse to acknowledge what a title does well that is objectively meritorious then their evaluation become opinion. That's what I see happening with SAO when people refer to it as utter garbage. For all that it may do wrong, it does enough other things right to compensate.

And, for the record, SAO is far from the only title which gets this kind of reaction. It's just the most recent one.

And Fencedude: I argued my case for the series in great detail in my reviews of its stream. Go read them again if you want to see why I'm regarding Chagen46's complaints as "opinions." (Or would you prefer if I used "biased interpretations of facts?")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And Fencedude: I argued my case for the series in great detail in my reviews of its stream. Go read them again if you want to see why I'm regarding Chagen46's complaints as "opinions." (Or would you prefer if I used "biased interpretations of facts?")

Yeah, I know. I read them. I also completely disagree, which I have also documented at length
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I read that, Fencedude. And I can't take it seriously because you base some of your complaints on factual errors. (The series quite explicitly states why spoiler[Kirito has the Dual-Wielding skill and is the only player who does], for instance. Or at least I walked away from the first arc being absolutely clear on that point and without needing the aid of any novel-based spoilers.)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, I read that, Fencedude. And I can't take it seriously because you base some of your complaints on factual errors. (The series quite explicitly states why spoiler[Kirito has the Dual-Wielding skill and is the only player who does], for instance. Or at least I walked away from the first arc being absolutely clear on that point and without needing the aid of any novel-based spoilers.)

He said the reasons were "not well defined" (which is true) not that it never offered any explanation at all.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Key wrote:

Yeah, I know. I read them. I also completely disagree, which I have also documented at length

I get it fencedude you hate sao, I thought it was 3 out of 5 series personally. It was average series with a lot of wasted of potential like most anime being produced now. However it was far from being terrible series/franchise. Now if you want watch terrible series for 2012 I recommend "so i can't play h or Sengoku Collection"

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sun May 26, 2013 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10