• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demaar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
RedComet wrote:
Why couldn't they just call him Raito and not Light? Shocked Also isn't Ryuuku's name shortened? Hopefully my friend will pick this volume up for me since my birthday is coming very soon.
I guess the original author requested his name be romanised as such?
Quick question, what do they refer to Shinigami as? Reapers, Death Gods or what?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Demaar wrote:
Quick question, what do they refer to Shinigami as? Reapers, Death Gods or what?

They're called "shinigami" most of the time, though any time they explain the word or use a different word for variety, it is "death god."

However, before anyone tries to start a discussion of why "they translated shinigami correctly in Death Note and not in Bleach," I'd like to point out that both translations are correct in meaning (and yes, I know that a literal translation of "shinigami" means "death god," but literal translations must then be put in context to convey the original meaning). "Death god" works well in Death Note because they actually behave like death gods, sinister beings who control death. However, this same implied meaning would be out of place in Bleach, where the term "death god" would carry too much weight in English. Therefore, the contextual term "soul reaper" makes much more sense for the shinigami in Bleach.

And why not just call them shinigami in Bleach? As Zac pointed out in his review of Bleach Vol. 8, the series is already bursting with too much jargon, and shinigami would just add to an already thick vocabulary for a casual reader.

And there you have it, another "shinigami translation discussion" avoided. Wink
Demaar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I find it the other way around. I think reaper sounds more suitable for Deathnote than Bleach. Personal preference and all that though, I guess Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bobobobobobobo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:27 am Reply with quote
i bought volume one in english. whenever L talked, i got goosebumps. he's so cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2