• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Titles that don't make sense to you.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Lastly, Durarara!! doesn't make much sense to me. It's really fun to say, but I don't get where it comes from.

The title Durarara is based on the fact that Celty is a spoiler[dullahan, a type of Irish fairy represented by a headless rider upon a black horse]. The title is a Japanese affectation based on that.

I thought Durarara! was based on the onomatopoeia for the cellphones ringing (DRRR!, I believe it even appears as text on screen a few times) and how they are used to create networks in the series.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
Trigun and Perfect Blue kind of confused me. Are these just poor English translations? I don't know what I would have called Perfect Blue (maybe 'Mind fudge"?) but why not call Trigun something like Vash the Stampede, or maybe The Sixty Billion Double Dollar Man. Yeah that's pretty bad, but hey there have been worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Trigun and Perfect Blue kind of confused me. Are these just poor English translations? I don't know what I would have called Perfect Blue (maybe 'Mind fudge"?) but why not call Trigun something like Vash the Stampede, or maybe The Sixty Billion Double Dollar Man. Yeah that's pretty bad, but hey there have been worse.

Isn't "trigun" a reference to spoiler[the special gun that Vash's arm can turn into]? I'm far from 100% about that one.

The explanation for Perfect Blue is quite well-known, though, as Satoshi Kon explained it in commentary for the movie. It is a reference to a perfectly blue sky, which symbolizes absolute clarity. Neither appears in the movie until the very end, but it is what the main character is seeking throughout the movie, especially as she starts to have trouble distinguishing reality from the series she's filming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
^
Trigun is named after spoiler[Vash's three guns. His unusual revolver, the machinegun hidden in his robotic left arm, and of course the all-powerful Angel Arm.]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Trigun is named after spoiler[Vash's three guns. His unusual revolver, the machinegun hidden in his robotic left arm, and of course the all-powerful Angel Arm.]

I always thought it was just the spoiler[angel arm. It has a sort of three edged design. And isn't his revolver essentially just part of the angel arm? So it isn't really a separate, third gun. Just a different form. Although I guess that could still count.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
^
No, the title is definitely named after spoiler[Vash's three guns.]

I believe that in the original Manga spoiler[Vash's Angel Arm was a separate weapon from his revolver. As in, even if he didn't have his revolver he could still use his Angel Arm because it was something inherent in his (and Knives') bodies rather than a weapon that Knives made whilst on the planet. And of course in the Manga whenever he uses his Angel Arm his life energy depletes, as shown by his hair going darker and darker like some sort of life meter. By the end his hair is almost completely black. The Anime has the Angel Arm work differently but of course uses the same name as the Manga as it is an adaptation.]

I'm kind of surprised that a strong Trigun fan like yourself didn't know this.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
Nah, I mostly just like the anime. The manga is okay but I haven't actually finished it.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
Strawberry Marshmallow - Love Miu's antics, but I wouldn't describe them as "strawberry" or "marshmallow".

Gosick - Perhaps a twist on "gothic" (goshikku)? It's ... sick.

Aria - The greatest anime ever made*, yet its title seems a bit off from the original Aqua the manga had. I prefer the manga title.

Cowboy Bebop - Before any press of the series came out, the first time I saw this title instantly had my mind thinking "Great. An anime about a singing cowboy". Thankfully, it was anything but.

Pani Poni Dash - What? Who? Why? There wasn't a single pony in the whole series.

Lucky Star - Despite being the most-watched anime in my collection, the title has nothing to do with the series. It should have been titled "Kagami the Star", because she is, you know. Don't deny it.

Death Note - It's missing "book" in the title.

Elemental Gelade - What in the hell is a "gelade"?

Baka and Test - Evil or Very Mad

Divergence Eve - If the series explained the title, I must have missed it. The sound was muffled by the planet-sized breasts.

It's almost lunch time, so I'm going to use the rest of my brain reserves to think of what to eat. Ta.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Aria - The greatest anime ever made*, yet its title seems a bit off from the original Aqua the manga had. I prefer the manga title.

You do realize that Aqua and Aria are both manga? Two volumes were made, titled Aqua, then right after, Aria started and ran for 12 volumes. So the anime didn't randomly change the title, it just went with the one of the second series (probably because it was running at the time)
David.Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

The explanation for Perfect Blue is quite well-known, though, as Satoshi Kon explained it in commentary for the movie. It is a reference to a perfectly blue sky, which symbolizes absolute clarity. Neither appears in the movie until the very end, but it is what the main character is seeking throughout the movie, especially as she starts to have trouble distinguishing reality from the series she's filming.

That makes sense, I just never watched the extras when I had the DVD. Also it never really bugged me enough to go search the meaning behind the title.

Key wrote:
Isn't "trigun" a reference to spoiler[the special gun that Vash's arm can turn into]

dtm42 wrote:

ikillchicken wrote:
I always thought it was just the spoiler[angel arm. It has a sort of three edged design. And isn't his revolver essentially just part of the angel arm? So it isn't really a separate, third gun. Just a different form. Although I guess that could still count.]

Was this mentioned in the anime? Never read the manga and its been a good 8 years since I last watched Trigun so I don't really remember.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Death Note - It's missing "book" in the title.

In Japanese, "NOTE" means notebook. Just like "AIRCON" is "air conditioner." They like keeping things short, why should they add to the title just so it makes more sense to Westerners?

Quote:
Baka and Test - :evil:

They're idiots, and they're taking tests (and battles, more battles than tests).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
OK I got you all topped: Fencer of Minerva. (It's an H title for those of you who blush easily) Well their ain't anybody in the show called Minerva, or any place named that, and no fencing goes on anywhere.

Then there's Green Green but we won't talk about that.

Labyrinth of Flames sounds promising but isn't.

If anyone can Love Hina they are better than I am at it.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
OK I got you all topped: Fencer of Minerva. (It's an H title for those of you who blush easily) Well their ain't anybody in the show called Minerva, or any place named that, and no fencing goes on anywhere.
Most H titles have fencing of a sort.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
as for Neon Genesis Evangelion, the Japanese title makes sense to me, but the English title doesn't.

All i know is Neon is a chemical element. In the Japanese title(新世紀) it says "new world" or "new Century"

The English title is Greek for "Origin new gospel", which is literally nonsense due to incorrect grammar. They were probably aiming for "Gospel (eu - good, angelion - message) of the new origin/birth", which is likely an alllusion to Instrumentality. Also the Book of Genesis is called souseiki in Japanese, which is similar to shin seiki.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
...I have no idea what is Tari Tari mean.

I'll have a stab at explaining this one. Here are the episode titles:

1. Tobidashitari sasottari
飛び出したり 誘ったり
2. Takattari agaitari
集ったり あがいたり
3. Futtari deattari
振ったり 出会ったり
4. Okottari odottari
怒ったり 踊ったり
5. Sutetari Suterarenakattari
捨てたり 捨てられなかったり
6. Warattari omottari
笑ったり 想ったり
7. Soramawattari miushinattari
空回ったり 見失ったり
8. Kinishitari omoikkiri kakedashitari
気にしたり 思いっきり駆け出したり
9. Shirokunattari akakunattari
白くなったり 赤くなったり
10. Moetari moetari
萌えたり 燃えたり
11. Michitari kaketari
満ちたり 欠けたり
12. Kasanetari hibiitari
重ねたり 響いたり
13. Haretari naitari ato wa tokidoki utattari
晴れたり 泣いたり あとは時々歌ったり

See the pattern? As far as I can tell the "tari" represents the present participle verb form. In English that would be words like eating, living, breathing, etc. I interpret the double "tari" to symbolise "being in the present" or "living for the moment", which suits the overall optimistic tone of the series. How does that sound?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6